Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Glasgow Airport
154 Posts
Latest updates suggest that the check-in area in the main terminal remains closed for forensic investigation and damage repairs, as do all traffic lanes outside that terminal. For those flights which are confirmed as operating, check-in is currently taking place in the much smaller T2, which is the adjacent terminal normally used by Easyjet. Because of its size, external queues are still forming on approach roads, in what is currently torrential rain.

Passengers are urged not to travel to the airport unless confirmation has been received that their flight will be operating today. A large number of flights have been cancelled again today, with others operating from alternative airports.

There are also reports of queues of up to 45 minutes for vehicles trying to access airport car parks. Airport authorities are advising passengers to travel to the airport via public transport where possible, and not to bring relatives with them to see them off. Passengers should also take note of major roadworks on the M8 between Glasgow and the Airport, which are causing further delays. All of these problems mean that those who have received confirmation that their flight is operating today from Glasgow need to allow much more time to reach airport check-in.

David
PS .. Hi ayrshire tripper ... that was a very unfortunate end to your holiday. Things obviously did not operate as smoothly for some passengers as would have been liked but understandably, priority was being given to passenger safety rather than convenience. But I suppose we must recognise that this was a totally unexpected and unprecedented major incident, from which some lessons will undoubtedly be learned.
Have been trying to phone to get information as I am due to fly out on the 10 July, Gla-Man 8:30am.

Currently I was looking to be at the airport fro 7am, to check-in my bags, because of the high alerts the airport is now on, do I need to arrive earlier than 7am

Last I flew out on the same flight, and on arrivl at airport, I found it pretty busy.

Maybe someone can indicated, how much time we need to get into airport
Hi joeseptuk ... airline and airport staff are currently swamped with phone enquiries from those due to travel today and tomorrow. It's perhaps much too early to give specific information yet about about flights as far as ahead as 10 July, considering how difficult it is for some to obtain information about today's services. I would leave it a few days longer and just watch for any updates in response to recent developments and the current upgraded national security level.

David
The phased re-opening of Glasgow Airport has now progressed considerably. All 64 check-in desks at T1 and T2 are now fully functional.

However, the airport has by no means returned to normal. Vehicle access is still restricted and external queues are not yet fully cleared. Some entrances and sections of T1 are still restricted, while forensic investigation continues prior to removal of the burned out vehicle from the doorway. Repairs to the building will then be completed.

Passengers due to travel within the next 24 hours should still confirm the status of their flight with their airline.

David
They have introduced a drop off/pickup point at the rear of car park 1. I don't remember having seen so many cops at Glasgow airport and was pleased to see how well organised everything on the outside seemed to be. A little queueing to get to the dropoff/pick up point,but nothing exceptional...this afternoon anyway.

The relatives are now off to Florida. :)
  • Edited by FionaI 2007-07-03 17:05:28
With regard to my previous post, we were caught up in Saturdays events. We have tried in vain to trace our luggage, and First Choice just don`t want to know. They have told us today that Servisair are the agent they use and gave us numbers to phone, one continually engaged and the other hangs up immediately. Has anyone from the Alicante FCA 1643 flight managed to trace their luggage and more important did they have it returned.
Many Thanks.
WHi ,Ayrshire tripper. You and I in the same boat as regards luggage. We booked in at 2.30 on Sat, our daughter ran us to the airport and just as she left us the alarms went off. We were out in the rain at the back of the airport and she was asked to run for her life to the front of the airport.We were then taken back inside with these alarm bells ringing in our ears and it was 10 before we got a cup of tea. We were bussed to the S.E.C.C. about midnight where we waited for our daughter until 1am. Got to her house after waiting in the longest queue ever about 4am in the dearest taxi ever. Things could have been worse after all but we thought there should have been a rep from either B.A, or B.A.A. to give us some info. We travelled home today with no baggage. Told on Sat it was in a secure place, but another passenger told me tonight that the cases are piled up in a carpark. I do hope she was wrong.We are a plane journey away from Glasgow and we have no idea when we can get or cases. At least my daughter was allowed to get her car out of the carpark today!
According to Glasgow Airport, baggage which was left landside during the evacuation was secured as soon as possible afterwards. Baggage left airside was already secure. But presumably lots of baggage left landside will not be tagged or labelled to assist with identification. They do say that every effort is being made to re-unite baggage with its owners, but also say that passengers should contact their airline, which obviously you have done.

I don't know whether it was STV or BBC Scotland, but one of this evening's news bulletins did show baggage being laid out and identified in a car park. But I assumed that it would have been brought there specifically for pre-arranged collections, rather than having been left there all weekend.

If you are not receiving co-operation from the airline and are unable to get through to the handling agents, it may be worth trying airport information (if you've not already tried that too) to see if they can advise you any further.

Whilst airport management may be quite deservedly patting themselves and their staff on the backs today, I'm sure that they appreciate that many thousands of passengers were greatly inconvenienced on Saturday, and some still are today, as a result of this major and unprecedented incident. Observing the situation constantly since Saturday afternoon, I feel that airport staff, emergency services and criminal investigators did a fantastic job and should be commended for enabling the terminal to be up and running the very next day. I think very few outsiders expected that to happen so quickly. But obviously there are residual problems to be dealt with, one of them being abandoned baggage. I'm sure that many lessons will be learned and hopefully one of them might be greater communication between airline (not airport) and tour operator staff and their passengers, which so far is one of the biggest criticisms I have been hearing. But I recognise too that it has been stressful and new territory for them also.

I hope that you are re-united with your bags as soon as possible.

David
  • Edited by David 2007-07-02 23:22:20
Thanks for that, David. We were definately airside, had our cases checked in and have the ticket stubb with the identification number to trace our luggage. It's reassuring that we have that although no one could trace our cases today. Hopefully tomorrow :!:
My wife has taken the day off work and had a relative take her to Glasgow Airport to trace our luggage. After being sent from pillar to post it was found at car park 3. We were on fca 1643 and there is a lot of bags still there. Take your green stubs attached to your boarding pass. Hope this helps as FCA were hopeless.
One of our cases turned up today but not the second one. some damp clothes inside,maybe water got in through the zip. Hope we get case 2 tomorrow.
The outer forecourt at Glasgow Airport has now re-opened to buses and licenced airport taxis, which should make things slightly easier for those using public transport. Access is permitted only to vehicles registered with the airport's automatic number plate recognition system, with all such vehicles still being subject to security checks.

The inner forecourt remains closed.

Passengers being dropped off or picked up at the airport by private car should use Car Park 1 for that purpose.

A section of Car Park 2 has been designated for pick up/drop off of disabled passengers.

All other car parks are open as normal.

More info available at http://www.glasgowairport.com

David :wave
PS .. good luck today digby and ayrshire tripper, hope you make more progress with the luggage
2nd case arrived today. completely wrecked and everything inside drenched! That's both cases damaged but at least we ourselves came away fom the terrorist attack unscathed, thank goodness.
Has anyone used this lounge at glasgow? any information would be greatly appreciated (eg, busy, quiet, whats available, unlimited drinks, self sevice etc etc?)
Scooby-biatch,

It might be worth posting this on the Airport Lounges thread. For more infomation on the Holiday Wing Lounge, click here.

Darren
Booked to fly from Glasgow next year instead of Newcastle. Can someone recommend a hotel to stop in the night before with 14 days parking. Got a good price for Erskine Bridge Hotel about 5 miles away - anyone stayed there. Thanks
We got the best deal of all at the Normandy hotel earlier this year. It was booked through superbreaks and it was £54 b&b for twin room (not per person)plus 14days parking. The room was large with a separate bedroom. Great value. A minibus takes you to airport about 5-7mins away.

http://www.superbreak.com
Thanks will check them all out
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.