Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
John, it's something I've been thinking about as well. Found this for a quick read ;)

http://www.goa-vacations.com/monsoons.htm
hello john
i will pump up my monsoon trip report .... hope you find some useful info there. No difference in flying if talking about turbulence.
argo
I stayed in Goa for the Monsoon about 4 years ago.Not many places open and of course shacks are not open, apart from those on private land.Every local i knew seemed to be traveling Europe.Must admit i would have found paint drying more interesting. The rains were not that bad as it mainly rained at night and i could still wear light clothes there. Had trouble drying my clothes and there was a lot of " Monsoon madness " going round with the long termers there.That shouldnt be a problem now. September was my best month as charters had not started and no beggars were around and sun was out more. I wouldnt waste my 3/6 month visa again for a Monsoon holiday but i am glad i did it.
Must admit i would have found paint drying more interesting.

I agree IMHO, its not for me either ...sooo boring!! we only stay for a while now and then head off, yes it looks lush, but power cuts, damp, and lack of restaurants etc not inspiring to me

chilly
Hi John and Tony... :cheers
We have been to Goa via Mumbai in monsoon twice and loved it...
Lots of rain...(you can set your watch by it...)...but also still lots of sun.
There are still plenty of restaurants and bars open....
Had the hotel pool to ourselves...
Lots of greenary and beautiful flowers everywhere...
All the dogs and cows are clean and not "red"...

Only downside is there are very few shacks...(we found only 2 the full lenght of the north beach area)
Also there are plenty of "India tousists"...but no europeans...
Thanks for that noggin, do you have any photos?
thanks all , does anyone know if the flights are cheaper ?
When i went in the monsoon my flight price was £200 more than what i usually pay to go In Nov for 6 months. I was told its because of the school holidays and all the Indians in the Uk go to visit relatives in the India in the UK summer months. My flight got canceled when i was at Heathrow airport so i got back £230 plus a night in a posh hotel and a flight with BA the next morning in Business Class ! Still wouldnt fly BA as i prefer Jet and i must be the only person who would never fly Kingfisher again.
why wouldnt you fly kingsfisher imhp? :que

Chilly
  • Edited by chilly 2010-03-09 04:21:51
That's what I was thinking Chilly :que Best airline I've flown with by far ;)
The food i had from Heathrow to Bombay was awful. I swear it was loaded on at Bombay and warmed up for the flight back to Bombay. The food on the return flight was excellent but much too much salt in the food. Not only me who didnt eat the food because of the salt.Oh and the seats are so hard. Did say on a leaflet that you are sitting on massaging seats ! when i said i am sure these are not massaging seats, stewardess said those seats are in the business class.Yet the leaflet is put in every pouch where you sit. Must say food on the Bombay to Goa 45 min flight was excellent but the food on the Goa to Bombay was awful. Breakfast, but it was more like a runny curry. We all agreed a omelet would have been nice .
Staff were excellent but they are on Jet as well and i could have got the same luggage allowance and near on the same time and saved £50 by flying with Jet.
Sorry but i wouldnt fly again with them not unless they have a cheap price.
its funny isnt it how everyones experiences differ ... although i will say i do remember the food being very salty now you mention it :think but my seat was the best ever...1st time i have ever slept all the way... but maybe i was just shattered :que I agree IMHO Jet are great too but always come up dear for me ... but i book from India so not sure if that makes any difference... but its just as well we all have different tastes re airlines or we would be fighting for seats!! :D

Chilly
king fisher best flight ever couldnt find fault with any thing plenty of leg room in cattle class thats the main thing. the blood was actually reaching my feet .brilliant......
if thats john and anita all i can say is take big umbrella or just stay in rosas youll only get wet on the inside...............will my hat still be there see u soon...
Re flights - during the last 18 months we have flown to Goa with BA, Kingfisher and Jet and can't fault any of them. We have a freebie with Jet from Mumbai/Goa/Mumbai cashing in our frequent flyer vouchers when we go home but I really would choose BA if it was not for their indifference to their customers re the industrial actions. The service from their cabin crew was far better than the other 2 and my meal request (vegan) was upheld by BA to the letter - the other 2 gave me butter, curd and cheese!!!
Back to OP question - no we would not be in Goa again for the monsoon - tried half of one once and never again. We had our own property so had an inverter which allowed us to watch tv - have a fan on and lights for 8 hours so if the electricity was off longer than that then we were basically "stuffed" - could not get our clothes dried properly, always seemed we walking about in damp clothes.
The worst was the insects - put the light on and there they were - hundreds of them outside the window trying to get in anywhere they could, we had to roll up newspapers and stuff the door and window frames with them.
Yes it is beautiful - green and lovely but not so lovely when you can't go out or you do go out and can't get back home because the roads are flooded - happened to us once and had to stay in Mapusa for most of the afternoon until the rains went away.
Will stick to winter season. :)
quite agree waterproof...we felt trapped sometimes when it rained incessantly...and make no mistake it can!!! and we always felt damp... isnt for me we usually leave now by end of June
chilly
Oh i thought the damp clothes i always seemed to be wearing was the worse about the monsoon. I have my own washing machine so hung all clothes up in the kitchen with the gas cooker on and still they wouldnt dry. And when you walk all the mud splashes up the back of your legs and on your clothes.I got caught out so many times when i was out on the scooter,it looked perfect weather then with in minutes its pouring down and when that rain hits your eyes its like needles going in. Plus you dont know if the puddle is a huge hole or just a small dip when its full of water .Very dangerous driving in the monsoon.Like Waterproof and Chilli said, whats the use of being there when you cant go out cause of the weather and when you do go out hardly any place is open. What with the new visa rules there wont be the long termers there or anyone else so be really dead there.
Sometimes it is nice weather in the Uk in the summer and that beats Goa in the monsoon any day.
Sometimes it is nice weather in the Uk in the summer and that beats Goa in the monsoon any day.

absolutely IMHO .... thats my thinking too... and even though we have a fairly powerful inverter like waterproof ,you still cant put the A/C on or the kettle!!!!! can run the computer and TV .... but gets boring!!!! yes and we too were caught out so many times as you say.... looks sunny off you go ...next thing you are stuffed!!! :D
and when you do get to a restaurant you have to get off all your dripping and soggy waterproofs, jacket, leggings etc ...& you are still wet underneath :yikes
chilly
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.