Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
monsoon?
86 Posts
Hi Mike

We were told around May until September... and sometimes it can carry on as late as Oct.
Hi,

I had a feeling it would be for that length of time thou it still seems a long time for it to last. :glynis
It usually arrives in Goa about the 10th June, July & Aug are the rainiest,but by Sept. the worsy is over. An exellent book on the subject is Chasing the monsoon by Alexander Frater, it,s in paperback and has a chapter on Goa
Thanks gramps i will have a look for that book. :lol: :thanks
:D hiya could anyone tell me roughly what the tempretures are in the monsoon months? i fancy going to india and going down to goa around that time :D
if look at http://www.weather.com and click on travel you will find all you need
mike
Once the rains start it does cool down a little, although May and June are warmest and the rain is lovely as it makes everything green, it looks Soooo different... (Just a small one, if you have any questions then just ask and I'll try and answer...)
Hi, I'm going to Calangute in 3 weeks for dental treatment (thanks to rip-off dentists in the UK!) and as I'll be there during August, can anyone tell me what will be open? I know the shacks will be closed, but will the main shops be open? I'm travelling on my own and have no sense of direction whatsoever, so would also like to know where the taxi's are - or are they only around during the tourist season? Thanks!
Hi Katz
Lucky you, even if it is just for dental work.
You will find most of Calangute open as usual in August as it is a relativly thriving town. There are also a fair influx of Indian tourists who visit during the monsoon. Only the obvious tourist shops will be closed down.
The main hotels will be open for business and I can recomend the Cavala at Baga as being really welcoming and comfortable, well they all are really anyway.
Never thought that I would wish someone going to the dentist to have a good time !!!!!
Thanks for that. I had images of wandering around a ghost down for 2 weeks with nothing but toothache for company!
I'm staying at the Colonia Santa Maria somewhere in between Calangute and Baga. It was one of the only ones I could find that a) was open, and b) could accomodate me for so long.
Any ideas where to go and eat to avoid food poisioning??
Thanks again, and any extra info will be appreciated.
have been to calagute 3 times

Best Italian La Fiesta

Best Chinease Food - Kim Fa

Best Vegetarian : Plantation

Stayed at Nizmar Resort - Excellent Steaks

Breakfast ( English) Gris Grev - Owned by Di and Stewart friends of ours from England - stayed open all last year through Monsoon . If you want good english style meals try here in evenings as well.

Kennys also good for breakfast and baguttes

Dominos Pizza wasnt bad either.

Baret Bar on the corner in Baga really good selectioon of food and really cheap.

Have a great time ( hope dental work not too bad)

Linda
:D
Ooh - where's the breakfast place? I LOVE breakfast. These tips are really useful, as I can jot down the names and just go there.
If you can give me more details I can take them with me. Is Gris Grev a name or a place?? I shall definitely support the ex-pats during the monsoon period, even if it means putting on 3 stone in 2 weeks - because obviously it's all in a good cause!
At least now I feel more comfortable about going on my own, although it was a hell of a shock to read of the woman who just died from rabies.
I just hope the dogs stay out of sight in the monsoon!
One more thing, I'm flying BA to Bombay (I just cannot think of it as Mumbai, plus just saying the word makes me laugh!) - then I have 6 hours (from midnight to 6.30am) before the Jet Air flight to Goa. Does anyone know if you can 'escape' the airport, or am I doomed to sit there for 6 hours? I've booked the flights separately, which turned out to be cheaper than booking with ebookers, so I wondered if that means I can leave the airport for some fresh air as I'll have to collect my luggage anyway.

And can you smoke at the airport? (provided of course no lighters are used)
Thanks again!
Hi Katz, you will have to go from the international airport to the domestic terminal, which I'm told is a free bus ride away, so you will have to leave the airport, I have also been told that your luggage is not automatically transfered, so you will have your cases with you. Let us know how you get on as I will have do do the same thing.
Good luck
Lin
Gris Grev is the name of the pub it just passed the fish market. Down a narrow lane sign for pub is in main road. the turning is opposite Johnys Chemist very helpful in there too.

Kennys is on the main Calangute Road

There also is a massive Indian restaurant called Midas Touch does banquets etc but food is really good and menu you can choose from Indain, Chinease , Italian again very friendly people.

Another bar we used was called the Sportsman I used to like and sit there and people watch, and just remeebered next door to Sportsman is a Kebab
restaurant again really good steaks and kebabs. All of these are on the Main Road through Calangute.

Cant wait until we go at Christmas

Linda 8) :)
hi,

I'm going to Goa in August too. Jet Airways to Mumbai, then on to Goa.
Can anyone confirm if these hotels and bars are open for definite. Is anyone there at the moment?
Lin, I will let you know exactly what happens at the airport as soon as I return. I'm leaving on the 8th, and back on 26th so will update you then.
And Als - I know the Colonia Santa Maria is definitely open because I'm staying there, but there are loads of hotels open apparently - the bigger ones anyway. Which part of August are you going?
If anyone has stayed at the Colonia Santa Maria please post a review HERE

luci :wave
Hi Katz I am travelling with jet airways on both legs of the trip, have been looking at http://www.airlinequality.com and it seems you have to get a ticket at the airline counter for the inter-terminal bus, Would like to hear from anyone who has travelled to Goa through Mumbai on what to expect on arrival at Mumbai.

Lin
Jet airways is the first thing you see when you exit customs and exit the main lobby to the right at the bombay international airport. Look to the left 25 meters ahead and see the jet check-in counter ( you have not yet exited the terminal). Take your luggage there and check-in. They will transfer you to the domestic airport free of charge.

Once you are at the domestic airport you are free to leave the airport, but there is nothing you can do in the wee hours of the morning but get robbed if you venture out all by yourself.

There is a broadband Cyber cafe in the Jet domestic terminal ( which is used by all private airlines besides Govt. owned crafts) . This should be a nice way to pass your time. To the end of the lobby you will also see restuarants and book stores but i dont remember seeing them open when i ended up there at 3am the last time.

Cheers
Dr. Ambert
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.