Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
if anyones still got a sim floating about, i wouldnt mind one!

cheers,h.
Must admit I never thought about buying a SIM card in Goa but might be a good idea. 16p a text is ok I guess. Does anyone know how much a text would cost back to the UK if you use your normal British Sim Card. I am on the 02 network. :roll:
Well give your SIM card away to people you dont know and screw up the Indian anti terrorist system . Why do you think they want a photo and your passport before they let you have one ? Should require the same in the UK , anyone can get a a SIM cards here . Think before you offer them to other people PLEASE !!!!!
gemma did you find out how much texts/calls back to uk cost? im goin out to goa end of march for the first time and i am on the o2 network aswell. (contract)
Gemma,

Sign up to the O2 international call service package (its free) and an overseas text is 3 units instead of 1 unit normal for the U.K, meaning if you have inclusive texts you can use them in Goa up top your inclusive total without cost.

Mids
Our taxi drivers kept asking for ours when we had finished with them. They said they passed them on to other tourists to save them buying one - didn't believe it for a minute! We didn't ask how much they charged the tourists...
Hi All,
Just a thought maybe a good idea and Bit cheeky (Maybe) but i think it's worth getting the ball rolling again, I'm going to Goa December 6th and will be taking my mobile phone to use a local sim as suggested by other users on this forum, I intend to buy a sim when i get there, if i can't get 1 elswere.
when i return i am willing to pass it on to somebody going after I return, I will pass the sim telephone No to the next user who could pass it on to there UK contacts should they need to be contacted.
My question is if anybody is due back from Goa anytime before December 6th and has no further use for there sim, pass it on, and if other Goa forum user's do the same, there should be some around next time you go yourself.

I return on 14th December so if anybody needs a sim going Goa after say the 21st December, Mail Me, First to Mail me and i'll post it to you free of charge.
just 1 less job to do when you get there just need to top it up.

Regards Peter
I have an Airtel sim which I will be using between 24th November and 01st December.My outlaws require it for a couple of weeks in January and then I will probably need it first two weeks March.Anyone needs it between then I am more than happy to lend it out.Did this with a fellow BM this year and it worked well.

Papa
A good idea Cordtex but unfortunately it doesn't always work out. Last year I took out someones sim card so it could be used and kept running but when I returned and posted it back to him to use on his next trip, for whatever reason he never received it. ( I had even enclosed 100rps note to cover the cost of the calls I had made.) He never got in touch again and probably thinks that I conned him out of his sim card so I wouldn't like to get involved in a similar scheme.
Cheers Squigs, I hear what your saying, Shi_ happens unfortunatly and it seems you were it.

it is always a possibility but it has always gone ok in the past ?.

Cheers Pete
Hi Papa, your return on the 1st is probably a bit to close to my departure on the 6th, but i'm sure somebody else will take you up on it. but thanks for the offer.

Thanks Anyway Peter
No problem.

The way I look at it if someone does not return the sim then no problem.The forum is here to help and I try to be optimistic.At the end of the day if I do not get it back so what.The last BM I loaned it too left me more credit than I sent.

Let me know if you have no luck and I will see what I can do.

Papa
hi
you can have the sim cards made lifetime been using mine for three years,just go into babbuttes and top up when i get there,passing on sim cards is a nice kind thought,but remember the spanish bombers used mobile phones as triggers,if the worst happened who would they trace them back to ???? little old you with the smiling photograph on the application :yikes
Hi all, just an idea for anyone going to Candolim who returns to Goa every year and uses a mobile phone, there is a photo shop opposite the Xavia Hotel road that will, for a small fee, keep your simm card topped up for you, if you leave him your simm and 500rps when you are going home, then collect it next year it's all ready to go, been using him for a couple of years now and he's never let me down, saves the hastle off pasports and a new agreement. just an idea for you..steve
I would be VERY careful with this. First, if you are sending your sim to a stranger then if that phone is used for anything illegal it will be you the police will contact. Second, leaving your sim in India- are you absolutely certain its not going to be used while you are away? No matter how well you think you know someone, to my mind its not worth the chance. We all know that mobiles have been used in terrorist activities.
Is it worth it?
Only two weeks to go now before I hit the beaches and Honeybee and get away from the rain. On previous visits I have always bought my sim card for my mobile from the Elephant shop in Candolim, this time I will be staying in Calangute. I have stayed here previously but cannot remember where I got my sim from, can anyone recommend a reliable supplier in Calangute. Hope to see you all at the meet up on 25th November. Lenny :cheers
We always get our sim from Babutes, never had any problems that he hasnt sorted out for us :wave:
can anyone recommend a reliable supplier in Calangute.

There's a photgraphic shop on Calangute High Street, further inland than Romano Opticians but on the same side. It was staffed by Russians but they were very helpful and I got sorted out quickly.
There is a shop next to Johnnys chemist in Calangute high street called Myron, they do SIM cards there.

You can get lifetime cards but if you don't recharge at least once every three months the card is no good.

A local SIM is the cheapest option with text messages costing just rs.5 to UK and calls to landlines cheaper than STD also.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.