Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
hi
aye same here as well me and my mates are goin to the green gardens as well, i havent heard of anyone goin there before like, i hope its good
I feel sure I have seen reports on these on holidays-uncovered.co.uk take a look on there.
Yeah should be good craic, when youse headin out foxyie? were leavin on the 9th and flyin out from dublin. with the irish centre only being across the road we'll probably spend most of our nites over there. Heard its a good spot.
aye im not headin out untill the 6th of august, is it july r august ur goin on, were headin from dublin as well
foxyie please do not post in phone text style or your posts may be deleted. Thanks.
were headin out in july, sure ill write in here and let youse no what the apartments are like wen we get back
aye thanks, my brother is over there at the moment and he says it 28 degres, now.... in april!, i wonder what it will be in the summer
HI

Me & 5 others are goin 2 green garden on 23rd July - 6th August, we're from belfast but flying from dublin,

Ive bn tryin 2 find out about it 2, a couple of ppl hav told me its a gd spot cos its right beside the irish centre & close 2 everywhere else 2, i cant wait!! :p

Hi welcome to HT please do not post in phone style text on the Forum, further posts in this style may be removed Briar
well were just goin on the 6th, what time are you all goin home?
hiya, we're headin home on the 23rd of july so we'll just miss youse mc cracken. we went to tenerife last year it was good craic, i wonder if tenerife and gran canaria are more or less the same
Helena

I think it depends where you stay in Gran Canaria but I think they are very similar apart from the resorts are a little smaller in Gran Canaria (from what I've seen anyway). Gran Canaria doesn't seem to get the same amount of cloud cover as tenerife though so it seems alot hotter in high season (I've been to both in July/August). We went to Tenerife in 2002 and Gran Canaria 2003, we are going back to Gran Canaria this July but we are staying at Palm Oasis in Maspalomas which is a timeshare resort so we are in a very quiet area.
I stayed in the Green Garden Appts in December 2004. I had read bad reviews of them but was surprised when I got there how nice they were.

They are basic but clean, the living/dining room is small, has a table, chairs, tv (coin operated), Sofa and Chair. fridge, 2 ring cooker and cupboards. The bathroom is ok as are the bedrooms. For the amount of time you spend there they are alright, never once cooked only used the fridge for milk and orange juice.

There is a maid service every two days, but I was never out of bed in the mornings so towels or bed linen didnt get changed the week I was there.

They all have balconies and each room has a safety deposit box which can be hired for €16, at the end of the week you get €10 back.

The Green Garden and Green Park are part of one complex with the Green Field beside them. They have a small shop on the ground floor and a bar beside that. The foyer has a computer for Internet usage and the reception is maned 24 hours a day. Also a weight machine to check luggage. There is a small lift, I think the complex has 4 or 5 floors.

The complex has a medium sized pool and games area and bar outside, not much use to us in December but should be fine in summer. Again the area is clean and well kept.

The Irish Centre is across the road, didnt use it much as wanted something different from Irish music, get enough of that at home. There is a bar run by locals upstairs in Irish Centre and if you buy a vodka and coke they give you two (buy one get one free) for €6, one is filled with vodka and coke while the other only contains coke, you can taste the difference, they are sittin behind the bar so you dont see them pouring it out. Anyway with the disco in full swing and a lot of drink taken you should hardly notice the difference.

The Kasbah shopping centre is only 5 mins away and the beach is about 10 - 15 mins walk.

The only negatives about holiday is the beds where not too great, The apartments are open plan so if it rains the balconies and stairwells are swiming and with the tiled floors it is very easy to slip and fall as my mate did on several occasions, the prostitutes who loitered about the Irish Centre looking for business as you headed into the Apartment block, the guys who try and get you to go into bars and restaurants, about 6 of them would approach you at once, other than that you should have a good time. :lol:
Am heading back for a week on 02 May but am staying inthe Koala Appartments in Maspalomas, quieter and more family orientated.
hi
well it sounds alrite then, i was a bit worried incase there was somethinf wrong with it but that just put me in a good mood :)
They are fine. I was worried when I was going there also, from a bus load of people who flew from Dublin, only 2 sets of passengers stayed at the Green Garden. They are 'dead on' as a base for a holiday.

The pool is medium sized with a childrens area. There is an entertainment area beside the pool with Pool Tables, games machine, bar...etc. As we were there in december it rained every day so we didnt bother with the pool.

There are plenty of shops and supermarkets in and around the area so there is no problem stocking up on groceries if you do intend cooking, bring a dish cloth and few cleaning rags and anti-bacteria cleaner to wash the untensils. Dont foget to stock up on bottled water. The restaurants are reasonably priced so, like us, you will probably end up eating out all the time. Anyway who wants to cook when its so hot outside.

I only saw one small cockroach in the bathroom the week we were there, ther wasnt a problem with ants or other creepy crawlies.

Taxi's are reasonably cheap, €2 to Yumbo which is about a 25-30 min walk away. I just said 'Yumbo' or when coming home just say 'Green Garden', the taxis atre very frequent and just wave at one for it to stop.

There will be a lot of Irish staying in and around the area so you wont be lost for company.

The Green Garden also caters for German tourists, no English tourists stay in them and the Travel Rep is in the foyer a few times a week.

Dont worry just look forward to getting away in the sun.

Am heading back in 5 days but staying in Maspalomas, flying from Belfast so flight should be 4.30 hours.
hi
nah i wouldnt amaging to many english there, the reason why im really goin is because of the irish centre so it should be good craic, im flyin from dublin so the bus on the way down should be a laugh as well, im goin on the 6th of july which is in 14 weeks this saturday and im annoyin everyone cause im countin down to when i go, when your goin with a crowed of mates nothin could go wrong like
The Green Gardens complex is clearly very popular with young holidaymakers from Ireland, presumably because of its close proximity to the Irish Centre

However, the Irish media is reporting today on the funeral of a Donegal man who drowned in the swimming pool at this complex in the early hours of last Sunday. He had only arrived in the resort the previous evening. A Leitrim man died in the same pool two years ago.

Reports say that this latest death brings to five, the total number of young Irish holidaymakers who have died at the Green Gardens complex in the last five years.

Relatives are demanding closure of the complex, although there is nothing in reports to suggest that safety measures at the complex played any part in the deaths.

David
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.