Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Well I much prefer Gumbet to Marmaris and would choose to go there any day as a preference. Gumbet is much smaller than Marmaris and i love the fact that it is cose to Bodrum for shopping, sightseeing etc.

However the two hotels you are looking at in Gumbet wouldn't be my choice. The Litera chain of hotels haven't got a very good reputation at the best of times, the reviews aren't so good on either hotels either, some people have siad the rooms aren't particularly clean and thre ahve been complaints about the food too. The Litera Gumbet Beach is at the top of a hill and has loads of steps so wouldn't be suitable if you have a pram. The Litera Relax is by the beach so there wouldn't be a problem with steps or hills. I honestly wouldn't recommend either hotel though if you have children, I know when I take my children I want to be 100% sure we are staying somewhere decent. If it was just me and I was just using it as a base I wouldn't mind but not with children.

There are lots of other lovely places to stay in Gumbet however so if you do decide you would like to go there I could always help with recommendations for accomodation that would be good for children (my girls are 5 and 2 and I used to live in Gumbet)

I can't help with Club Seray Forest but I'm sure there is someone on here who can.

Kedi
your the frist on here but 5th person who told me bout gumbet so im gonna hope for that, yeah children r my main intreast for this holiday so there comfort is my priority, please advise some nice hotels for them us thanks even if not in gumbet but around as im easy so i look for flights to bodrum then for that side ?
We have stayed at Siesta Beach apartments, they are right on the beach and lovely and clean, we had an apartment rather than a studio as the studios weren't as nice. Tropicana Beach next door is also lovely so are Orange Apartments and Queens Resort. If you would rather a hotel, then Parkim Ayaz on the beach is very good or Royal Asarlik if you prefer AI. A small hotel that is very nice is the Gumbet Resort Beach hotel - this is different to the litera one - right on the beach again.

Eating out is quite reasonable if you avoid the obviously touristy restaurants on bar street and they are very good with children everywhere, all the restaurants have kids menus or they will make something up for your little ones if you don't see anything you like.

Kedi
Gumbet very hilly. Marmaris mainly flat. I know which one I would choose with a pram and it would not be Gumbet.
Actually it would not be Marmaris either, Icmeler is much nicer and flat IMO.
Parts of Gumbet are hilly but there is a lot on the flat too. I lived there and pushed my pram round there for 18 months and I never found it a problem.
I was writing as someone who has asthma and I found parts of it a real problem with the hills as the centre is at the top of one. I like Gumbet but find Icmeler much easier but as I stated that's just my opinion.
Marg ;)
My recommendation is Icmeler,very pretty resort,Mirage World for all inclusive,nice and flat.I have stayed in Gumbet,its more hilly.
Personally I would much prefer Icmeler. Have visited Gumbet and wouldnt rush back. One I would give a miss to is Litera Gumbet Relax.

Good luck anyway wherever you choose!
Another vote here for Gumbet - we have a house there and have taken our granddaughter there since she was 10 weeks old. Of course, there are Marmaris fans as well - it's horses for courses.

Marmaris is much bigger than Gumbet - and I find it more impersonal than Gumbet as well though that's just my opinion.

I agree that I would tend to avoid the Litera hotels 'cos they do seem to get bad reviews. Are you intent on going all inclusive? If not, it may be worth looking at self-catering. We find with the little one that it's easier to have more of a "home" set up than a hotel bedroom. There are quite a few self-catering places which aren't hilly and are close to the beach.

Let me know if I can help any further.
All these 3 hotels have very mixed reviews,
I was at the Parkim Ayaz hotel in Gumbet in May and it was really excellent,the only thing that spoilt it was the very loud music from the surrounding bars until the early hours.
I wouldnt go to any Litera hotel as there are much better hotels.
Icmeler is my favourite resort because of the beautiful scenery and its flat with fabulous restaurants.
Everyone has there favourite place but if I was pushing a pram i would chose Icmeler.
I'm not familiar with Gumbet - although we are considering it for next year - but would definitely agree Icmeler in preference to Marmaris. We stayed in the Old Village and it was up a hill so may not be ideal for you but there are plenty of places on level ground.

Dave
Having been travelling to Turkey on & off since 1993,Gumbet is my least favourite place infact if i had gone there for my first holiday in Turkey i probably wouldn't have gone again.

The Armutalan area of Marmaris is nice and far enough away from the hussle and bussle of the centre of Marmaris. Icmeler is a fab resort and would be fine for walking round with a buggy/pram.

Like someone else says every resort has it's own fans,but hopefully we will have given you a few pointers and good luck with whatever you choose!
Wow Jula, you're not wrong. We're the exact opposite of you - we went to Gumbet, fell in love with the place and eventually bought our own house there. If we had visited Marmaris, we probably wouldn't have gone back. Mind you it's a good thing we don't all like the place - it woud be hellishly crowded if we did!!! :rofl
Jakki - we felt the same about Icmeler. If we'd stayed in Marmaris instead of Icmeler we probably may not have gone back to Turkey.

As everyone has said - it is horses for courses

Dave
the seray foredt is right at the back of the amutalan area of marmaris this is a lovely part of marmaris and very geared towards familys, but it is no where near the beach this would be a dolmes ride away als the hotel is on a slight hill, we stayed there s/c and i realy enjoyed there.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.