Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Been to both marmaris and Gumbet. Is there any comparision, No. My opinion of course but marmaris is far superior. I found Gumbet to be fairly small only around 6/8 main streets, you could walk round most of Gumbet in around 30 minutes. Bodrum is larger and about 10 minute Dolmis ride away

I seem to remember a market in Bodrum and there are boat trips available.

Marmaris has something for everyone, loud, quiet, busy and plenty to do

Stewart
i agree i have been to both resorts and i prefer marmaris, but it is an individual choice and im sure some people will prefer gumbet
I too have been to both resorts and much prefer Gumbet! all a case of personal choice! after visiting Gumbet I now find Marmaris to be way too big! I did have two fab holidays there though but just love Gumbet, have been there 6 times now and am already booekd to go back again for 3 weeks next year. There are lots of lively bars, also lots of quieter bars and resaurants etc. Yes you can do the lazy day boat trips too....
Another vote here for Gumbet - but I'm biased 'cos we've got a house there. Yes, Gumbet is smaller than Marmaris - but I find it friendlier. You soon get to know everybody and yes, there's still loads of bars, restaurants, boat trips, etc. The good thing about it as well is the shorter transfer time from the airport and the ease with which you can get round the peninsula so you can do a lot of exploring on your own. There's weekly markets all over the peninsula - the most popular being in Turgetries on Saturday, with Bodrum close behind (Tuesday and Friday, one of these days being mainly fruit and veg).
I decided to try somewhere else for a change from Marmaris and also decided on Gumbet,big mistake,so much smaller,not a lot there,not as green,even the waiters were not as friendly,trips more expensive,I wont be going back.Been doing Marmaris again ever since,but booked for Icmeler for next month for a change.
Gumbet is not like Marmaris, it is much smaller for a start.

I used to live in Gumbet and have only visited Marmaris a couple of times for the day but I much prefer Gumbet, as Jakki says it is very friendly and it is also a great base for exploring the Peninsula. You an get boat trips and all the other day trips too. There is a small weekly market in Gumbet on a Sunday but the main ones are Bodrum on a Tuesday and Turgutreis on a Tuesday.

Kedi
Thank you all for your replies. Have decided to play it safe and stick with what we know we are going to enjoy. Have booked again for marmaris. 27 sleeps to go. :sun2 .
My wife will be celebrating her 40th birthday we are going with friends, no kids.
hi

marmaris gets my vote every time, after 14 visits ti marmaris tried gumbet for a change, big mistake.
marnie
This series of posts just shows how people's tastes vary. That's why it's so difficult to recommend a holiday place to anybody 'cos as they say "one man's meat it another man's poison". I love Gumbet and am not keen on Marmaris but I know that hundreds of people think the other way round. Never mind, variety is the spice of life as they say and anyway, it's a good job we don't all like the same place - it would be very crowded if we did!!
Absolutely - woudn't it be awful if we all liked the same thing :yikes
Gumbet Jakki
How nice it is to read a post from someone that realises that people do not all like the same thing. Too many posters
seem to think that everyone must agree with what they like and that is not the case. As I have said previously what suits one doesnt necessarily suit another!
I've never been to Marmaris but just wanted to say that we loved Gumbet. As somebody else mentioned it also has the added advantage of a short transfer from the airport. Having said that we're trying Olu Deniz for our 2nd visit to Turkey (next Aug) which has a 1hr 45 mins transfer which I'm not looking forward to.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.