Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I disagree and would check with your airline first or at least a TO.

What's the difference between a cross stitch needle and the pin on the back of a brooch ? Nothing I would say and there's no problem wearing jewellery on board. I think maybe some people are being warned off items that actually hold no problems whatsoever.
well av rang thomas cook as i carnt find a number for my travel and they say my freind can not take one on board the aircraft what a shame never mind caarnt really see a problem as the needle is small anyways.
i think that Miss Chief has a valid point, and its more to do with what airport security will let you take rather than airlines/TO.

as far as i know BLUNT ended needles like knitting needles and cross stitch needles would be ok , sewing needles not.

best to check with the airport operator which runs the airport you are departing from.
Unfortunately you're wrong regarding knitting needles Andy. These have been banned since all these restrictions came in. Can you actually imagine a lady, having completed rows of complicated plain, purl, cable or lace stitch, risking dropping her stitches by jabbing her needles into someone. :roll:
Aslemma , exactly which set of restrictions are you quoting?
around May 2006, restrictions were lifted regarding scissors, up to then no scissors were allowed , and you now can take rounded ended scissors or scissors with blades less than 3cm, at this same time so was the restriction on other items considered "sharp" for example knitting needles.

In fact some information boards still display that knitting needles are not allowed , in fact they haven't been changed, probably due to the lack of travellers who would actually take such items.

If you look at the list of prohibited items in hand baggage on BAA's website you will see no mention of knitting needles being prohibited, i am referring to BAA rules as they are the largest airport operator and also have spoken to someone who works in security.

I know certain rules appear to be strange/contraversial , and yes i can imagine a lady accidently jabbing someone, but even more strange is an airport workman passing through security with his toolbox full of sharp stanley knives , chisels, etc and they are allowed because they are "tools of the trade" but if he has a cutlery fork to eat his dinner with it will be confiscated as sharp personal items are prohibited. :roll: :roll: :roll:
I am currently on medication in tablet form but a change in dosage is going to mean that I have to take it in liquid form instead.

The only bottle produced is 150 ml.

I am aware that there is a restriction on handluggage liquids of 100 ml, but the pharmacist informs me that no smaller size bottle is produced and if I were to decant it into a smaller container it would no longer prove that it was that medicine (and tasting it infront of security officials would be dangerous for my health as it has to be a precise dosage each day).

Is there a way to get a dispensation for this container in handbaggage - I could not entrust it to hold baggage as it is essential for my health and if the bag were to be lost or delayed I could become very ill very suddenly.

Advice please!
Hi Alsacienne ... from the Department for Transport's advice on page 1 of this topic:

Essential Medicines
Essential Medicines for the period of the trip may be permitted in larger quantities above the 100ml limit, but will be subject to authentication. Passengers must have obtained the prior agreement of the airline with which they are travelling and their departure airport. Passengers must also bring with them supporting documentation from a relevant qualified medical professional.

Hope that may be of some help.

David :wave
Passengers must have obtained the prior agreement of the airline with which they are travelling and their departure airport

AAAGGGHHH any ideas on how to do this .... especially with the likes of Ryanair who can't be contacted without paying a fortune in phone holding fees, or who love any pretext to slap on an extra charge ....?

Sorry, rather losing the plot here!

Or would taking half a bottle full in the right container mean that I could manage to take it without notifying the flying company? The airport people are usually mega sensible (compared with R*****r (guess whom I don't particularly like!)) and my GP can sort out the authorisation, but it's contacting certain companies that worry me!
I would start with the airport you are travelling from. If they can give you the advice and re-assurances that you need, you may not have to contact Ryanair, as any dealings you might have on this issue on the day of travel will be primarily with airport security staff rather than Ryanair staff.

Just noticed the addition to your post above:
Or would taking half a bottle full in the right container mean that I could manage to take it without notifying the flying company?

Under current regulations, it is the size/capacity of the container which is relevant rather than how much it actually contains. A 150mls container with only 75mls or 100mls of liquid would still be classed as 150mls, exceeding current limitations. But with mega sensible airport staff, hopefully a phone call will clear up any concerns you might have. :lol:

Bear in mind that if you returned home with only 10mls remaining in your 150mls container, you would still technically be exceeding the limit, should the airport in question decide to rigidly implement the rules, and so the procedures there should be verified too.

Size matters !! :wink
Hi all,
I am a newbie!

We are flying to Mexico in December and I was going to take some small suprises for the children to unwrap on the flight. However with the security restrictions I am a bit unsure about a few things. For example will I be able to take little tubs of Playdoh and "Floam" etc? They're not liquids but I'm not sure what they'd be classed as. I'd hate to have to dump everything at the gate and have the children in tears!!
Any advice much appreciated!

Jenny :D
Hi Jenny ... the restrictions apply primarily to liquids and liquid related products. The Department for Transport gives a reminder that 'liquids' include:

* All drinks, including water, soup, syrups
* Creams, lotions, oils, perfumes, mascara etc
* Sprays and pressurized containers including shaving foam and spray deodorants
* Pastes, including toothpastes
* Gels, including hair and shower gel
* Any other solutions and items of similar consistency

If in any doubt, it would be best to enquire with the airport you are travelling from.

In case it's of any interest, we also have a separate "Flying with Children" topic, which may provide you with some useful hints and advice.

There is some more media speculation today that the Transport Secretary is about to announce that hand luggage restrictions could be slightly relaxed in the near future. (The 'near future' could be weeks or months, depending on which media publication you read).

The liquids ban is likely to remain in force, but passengers may be allowed to carry two pieces of hand luggage instead of one.

However, any relaxation of current measures may be dependent on no further security incidents taking place in the period between the announcement by the Transport Secretary and the proposed date for implementation of any changes.

That'll be good as it'll mean that I'll be able to put bag with valuable/breakable/sentimental things in overhead locker and have smaller bag with things for inflight under seat infront. Although Dublin let me carry small handbag through security as well as sports bag just after they started allowing liquids again.
It is now looking more likely that revised hand baggage rules will be implemented from 7 or 8 January 2008. From that date, airports are able to seek permission from the Department for Transport which would allow passengers to carry two pieces of hand luggage instead of one. It is possible that some airports may not seek or may not be granted permission, if they do not have the necessary screening measures and staff levels in place to cope with additional baggage checks.

It is not yet clear whether the second piece of hand luggage will be subject to the exact same restrictions on dimensions, weight and contents as currently apply to the one piece of baggage which is allowed at the moment.

The ban on liquids will remain in force.

These revised restrictions are in response to improved technology and screening facilities at airports. They are not being portrayed as a relaxation of security meaures. On the contrary, this forms part of a new package of increased security measures to be introduced at airports, which will include additional security barriers, vehicle restrictions and exclusion zones, blast resistant buildings, etc.

I was thinking backpack 45x35x16cms as main bag for overhead locker and then ladies handbag 21x15x8cms with things for inflight. I know that could be pushing it but am hoping that they'll go back to the 1+1 so bag within maximum dimensions and then either laptop or ladies handbag.

Another question, will I get away with an ipod going through scanner in pocket of outdoor coat or does the nothing in pockets rule still apply? Not going away until february but just want to know. ipod is new and don't want it in bag due to risk of damage although I will be getting a case for it.
Cate,
What "nothing in pockets" rule is that? As you are removing your coat so that it can go through the x-ray scanner, there is no reason to empty the pockets. I always empty my trouser pockets of all metalic items and put them, along with my mobile 'phone and other items, in to my coat pockets which is then put through the scanner. This has never caused a problem or been commented upon by security.
It is by using the coat pockets that my hand luggage is under the weight limit when checking in - if I had the extra lenses and flash gun in the bag as well it would be over if weighed! ;-)
Cheers,
Jet
When they started allowing hand luggae again after August 06, they said nothing could be taken through security in pockets including hankies. I flew in November 06 and wasn't asked about items in pockets at Dublin but Stansted did and the man said a hanky was ok but anything else had to be in bag. Hanky was in pocket of my tracksuit bottoms. Also as the 1+1 rule will hopefully be in place when DH and I go DUB-FAO next february, will he get away with backpack 45x35x16 and a camcorder in its own bag or is he pushing it.
Hi cate ... there are no 'nothing in pockets' rules at UK airports, but it is correct that certain items may have to be removed from pockets for separate screening.

However, if the article of clothing itself is removed for separate screening, then you may not be asked to remove any individual items from those pockets unless security officers particularly want to take a closer look.

Bearing in mind that this week's announcement of proposed changes was from the Department for Transport in relation to UK airports, you may have to wait a little longer for the finer detail to be released, as well as news of any changes in other countries such as Ireland or Portugal.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.