General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
yes i have, my insurer was Elephant, and our flight had been delayed for 32 hours due to a technical difficulty with a Thomson's aircraft. We were given a letter by Thomsons when we finally reached our resort detailing the times of scheduled outbound flight and times of actual outbound flight, i.e.

Scheduled Departure from Glasgow (GLA) 15.07.07 @ 08:30 BST
Scheduled Arrival in Malaga (AGP) 15.07.07 @ 12:00 local time

Actual Departure from Glasgow (GLA) 16.07.07 @ 17:05 BST
Actual Arrival in Malaga (AGP) 16.07.07 @ 20:30 local time

See how it says LOCAL TIME next to each arrival time only, well elephant said that it was ALL spanish time and not BST therefore they would only pay out for 24 hours because they didn't understand the letter!! so we got compensation of a mere £25 each for a 32 hour delay, sat in a bloody airport because they didn't know when the aircraft would be fixed so they didn't want to send us off to a hotel...oh and the aircraft was actually fixed 18 hours after our original departure time however according to Thomson's one massive delay is better than a lot of small delays so they sent our fixed aircraft of to Palma and left us in Glasgow airport...(gave us some story about sending an aircraft from Manchester but then the crew had ran out of hours, then another one from Newcastle which never arrived, apparently couldn't be fuelled, then finally an aircraft came in from Edinburgh to take us)...in the departure lounge, so us smokers couldn't even get out for a cigarette until we'd been delayed for around 21 hours and we DEMANDED to be let out of the departure lounge!! And when we finally got to the boarding gate and the aircraft was there, somebody set off the fire alarm in the airport and we had to go and stand outside, next to the plane, and wait for an hour lol!!

All in all I've never insured with Elephant since (all flights I am booked onto get delayed by at least an hour, I think it's just me, I was flying to Menorca the weekend of the Balerics Coach Drivers strike aswell, was sat in Manchester airport for 3 days before we cancelled and got a last minute to CDS flying from Liverpool the next day!! All holiday monies + compensation repaid by MyTravel and we felt no need to involve insurance companies).
Hi,

We claimed this year with Kennett Insurance for a 24 hour delayed flight to Samos due to Greek National Strike, we got a total of £100 (£50 per person). I have to say they were really good !!! They e-mailed me over the forms and the payment came in about 7 days.

We were told at check in it would be 24 hours and were put up in the Gatwick Hilton with Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner included, so we made the most of it and had a day out in Brighton. If we would have had to wait around in the hope of leaving that would have been more annoying but "luckily" we new straight away we wouldn't be leaving so rather than getting upset we had a "Twin Centre" holiday ;)
We have just submitted a claim to Insure and Go. When we were in Sharm a couple of weeks ago hubby was badly bitten on his arm/elbow (doctor said insect bite but wasn`t sure if it was mozzie) they were pretty nasty bites. Had a policy with them for 12 months and renewed it the middle of May, so will wait and see what happens. We don`t have an excess so hopefully will get all the doctors fees back.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.