General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
yes we claimed a few yeras ago when OH was taken ill, i had to split our losses from the holiday total [all booked diy for a family holiday] sent the relevent claim recived and returned medical forms and recived full payment within 2 weeks thereafter..

i have stuck with the same insurers since, we have an anual multi trip policy with Netcover direct

wizard
Yes, I made a claim about 13 years ago when Hubby and I had a little "accident" :whoops and I would have been too far on in my pregnancy to travel. :D The Doctor filled in the forms no problem and we managed to claim back the deposits we had paid in full (excess free policy).
We had to make our first claim a couple of years ago. We got to Dalaman airport, and found out that the conveyor belts had broken down in Newcastle airport and our cases were left where we had put them, on the scales at check in. There were five of us and all we had was what we stood up in so needless to say most of the first two days of our holiday was spent shopping. Although we got our cases three days later we had to buy everything we needed, from toothbrushes to flip flops. When we got home we contacted Fortis and they sent us a claim form by return of post. Once we sent in the information they needed we were sorted out for everything we had paid out for in about a fortnight.

They are not the cheapest cover we could get, but at about £90:00 per year it is not bad at all. Both my wife and I are disabled and they were informed when we first took our cover with them and there was a slight adjustment to the amount we had to pay. We have been told about lots of cheap policies but we are happy to stay with Fortis as they looked after us well when we had to claim with only a couple of short phone calls and no new ifs or buts from small print. We half expected the premium to shoot up the following year but apart from the usual couple of quid yearly rise it was fine.
Jim.
Yes from Thomsons. Hubby had been in hospital with pneumonia a couple of months before we were due to fly to Mexico. He had his last outpatient check up on the Friday and we were due to fly on the Monday. The DR told him that the flight would be far too long for him, and to book a holiday with a shorter flight. We went straight to the Thomson shop, and they took care of everything including re booking for Cyprus on the following Friday. No hassle, and the cheque was in our hands in less than a fortnight.
I have had to make a claim on several occasions First for a total loss of baggage at the end of my holiday (about 10 years ago following a cruise.) As the claim was over £2000 both the holiday insurance and my home contents insurance were involved but I was paid out in full. The Loss Adjuster from the Home Contents came to the house to interview my. She just asked if I could show some evidence and I had photo's wearing clothes. Bits of the end of dresses that had been shortened, 2 bags that matched the Antler case I had lost, some receipts etc.
I had a Nikon camera stolen on holiday 5 years ago and the insurance company paid less the excess.
5 years ago I had to cancel a holiday with my Sister as her 34 year old Son has a massive brain haemorrhage and he lived in California. She has to go out there and he was on life support for 9 days. This happened on the 1st October and the holiday was on the 20th October. We had to get a letter from his Consultant and then submit it to the 2 insurance companies involved.
All these claims were made against different Insurance Companies and I had no problems whatsoever.

I think that if you can support your claim and with the correct documentation most people will have little problems. I am now over 65 and so the insurance premiums are much higher and as I have some health issues as well so have to pay an extra premium.

Sue
AgentQ wrote:
Yes, I made a claim about 13 years ago when Hubby and I had a little "accident" :whoops and I would have been too far on in my pregnancy to travel. :D The Doctor filled in the forms no problem and we managed to claim back the deposits we had paid in full (excess free policy).

That's the only time we've claimed on ours too. ;) Got everything back. Hubbies a police officer and some of his deductions contribute to travel insurance.
Yes, from Direct Travel. We were in Cyprus a few years ago when I ended up in hospital in Ayia Napa. I had to have a minor operation and as I was in hospital over 24 hours I was paid a few pounds for missing part of my holiday. They also refunded the price of a phone card to phone the insurance company to check everything was in order, and for my husband to phone work to say I wouldn't be back when expected. We've insured with them ever since.
some interesting replies maureen is that http://www.direct-travel.co.uk because they look like the ones im going to use for my son hes off backpacking to australia and im just really worried about getting him a naff one.they should be named and shamed if they dont pay out in genuine cases all sounding good up to now kep them coming
I broke my ankle whilst in Madeira 4 1/2 years ago. We were insured at the time by Insure and Go. They turned out to be almost useless. We were not on a package holiday so had no reps to help us out. Both Insure and Go and their repatriation company (I returned home for surgery) were hopeless at keeping us informed what was happening regarding flights home. All they seemed to be able to do was phone the hotel reception and ask us to phone them back - resulting in a hefty phone bill which despite numerous letters and complaints from us they refused to pay - their reason was that they only cover one phone call home! I often wonder what would have happened if I had had the surgery in Madeira - would they have paid up? They also insisted on deducting more than one excess per person - which we didn't ever get a satisfactory answer as to why.

Needless to say we no longer use Insure and Go.

Pippa
these are the things we need to hear the good and the bad.we all hope we never have to use our insurance as we all want a good holiday also this thread will show people how important it is to get insured with the right people keep them coming very sad some of your stories but so glad most of you have been paid out insure and go have definately come off my list now
I claimed on my Endsleigh insurance policy last Summer. I ended up in hospital in Turkey. Filled in my EHIC details on the claim form, eventhough I'm pretty sure that's not valid there. They rang me to say because I had one of these cards I didn't have to pay an excess and got every penny back :tup
thats interesting as my daughter has recently found out shes pregnant and is booked to go to kenya, theres obviously no way they can now go with the jabs she wont be allowed to have, she took out insurance before she found out she was pregnant, but as she booked a holiday with her boyfriend and another couple she hasnt tried insurance incase they wouldnt refund the other couple, ill tell her to look into it, think they are still going to go away but somewhere like turkey, nearer, and were thinking about staying with the same co but changing destination, obviously getting a refund would leave her more choice
For madmadge.
Yes that's the direct travel. I'm sure you'll be fine with them and if you renew after 12 months you get discount on the renewal price.
We have just taken out one year insurance for us as a couple and it includes the USA for under £70.
Yes I have claimed twice.
About 5 years ago My husband was taken ill and was taken to a Private clinic in Palma,We never found out the cost as it was all settled by our Insurance which I believe was Marks and Spencers.
Last year I was diagnosed with cancer and had to cancel our holiday the next month. It was a DIY booking and everything was settled satisfactorily by AA Travel Insurance.

We went away in January and are going in May and I have found it difficult getting Insurance cover but have used Medici Travel.

Sue
Yes,last year my mother was terminally ill and given 2 months to live,she was not due to travel with us but i did not want to fly off to another country.Her doctor wrote a letter to our insurance company,didnt charge us a fee and they paid all but the excess for myself hubby and kids.That was with First Direct.
I have claimed a few times with Insure and Go, twice when my daugher had a th5roat infection whilst we were living in Turkey, once when me and my husband wer sick in Lanzarote and once when my husband had to visit the dentist in Turkey. Each time I just filled in the forms and submitted the receipts and we go the cheque a few weeks later. They have been very good each time, we have gold cover so we don't pay any excess.
We claimed about 5 years ago - my little boy slipped on tiled floor in apartment and smacked his head off the tiled floor. I applied cold compress and all was okay (he had an egg) and then the next morning, didn't he do exactly the same thing and smacked his head in the same place - was nearly sick when I looked at his head - an egg upon an egg! Took him straight to local clinic where he was seen straight away and checked over, given cream to bring down swelling and we went back the next day.

Didn't pay anything apart from a couple of euros for the cream at the pharmacy, came home and got a questionnaire from insurers to fill in and we could claim back for cream but as it was only a couple of euros we didn't bother.
Yes I have had a couple of claims, the first 16 years ago when my father died just before I was due to go the USA, even though he was not travelling, I was unable to travel had things to sort out and stress etc., so had total refund within very short space of time. Second time when on holiday to dom Rep first day my son went into the sea, and trod on a sea urchin thingy, and got spikes in his feet and spend many hours at the doctors (who were brilliant) taking them out with tweezers. I kept all the medical bills, telephoned the insurance company on my return and they took details over the phone and did not want to see the medical bills as only approx £300, from memory and they sent me a cheque within the week.

So both counts very happy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.