Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi Rob :wave:
I peronally dont think so if like you say you like the social side & want to do a couple of trips My Son & girlfriend came back from gumbet 3 weeks ago & they were half board he spent £900 & his girl spent £350 thats english money he did bring some clothes back & they ate out a couple of times & they only went for a week so you can do it just be careful budget youselves to so much a day

hope you have a lovely holiday we go to icmeler on fri cant wait

cheers dodge :sun2 :cheers
Hi. We went to Side (family of 4) for two weeks. We took 700 lira, 100 sterling, and around 150 euros (leftover from previous years, and found in old suitcases). Even though we went out every night (8 alcoholic cocktails, 1 non-alcoholic, and 4-5 soft drinks a night) we didn't overspend, and came back with 5 euro.

With this we also went on a boat trip, had chemist visits for infected bites (daughter reacts badly), husband had 9 turkish shaves, bought jeans/gifts, lunch stuff (crisps and biscuits), bottles of water etc.

So I think you should have plenty.

We did pay any hotel bills by credit card though.
Hi
If I've done my sums right then you have 50 lira(£20) per day each to spend.
Price of drinks vary depending on where you go and what you drink but if you both like beer then thats your cheapest bet. Lots of the bars do a buy one get one free offer so look out for those.
The all inclusive boat trips cost £10 - for that you get breakfast, lunch and drinks ( soft drinks and beer) included in the price as well as pick up and drop off from your hotel. The jeep safari is also approx £10 each includes lunch but not drinks and the hire of a water gun (10 lira). Don't book trips through your rep, theres loads of places outside where you can book but don't pay any more than £10 each including pickups etc.
In theory, if you watch what you are doing then you should have enough but to be honest it's cutting it fine. Have you also taken into account that you may need to pay for hire of a safe for a fortnight and air conditioning etc which isn't cheap.
If I am completely honest I think you might struggle with what you have available and if at all possible would take some more ( it's the drinks that will eat into your budget)
Thanks for the quick replies to complete opposites there mind you. We wouldnt go out clubbing night. How they spent £1200 over a week amazes me :yikes
CloClo were you self catering or b&b etc?

and kimi yeh im starting to think about taking 200 pound sterling just in case we do run out.

More opinions would be of great help :)
We were half board.

I would suggest taking some euros out - we did come across a few shops where this was the only currency accepted. A few shops take credit cards as well, mainly the more expensive ones.
I really can't see the point in taking euros out - if the shops will only take euros (and I have never ever come across that in Turkey before) then go to another shop!!
I agree, don't bother with euros. I have never heard of shops only accepting euros either, I'm sure they would lose out to a lot of custiom doing that as most British people wont have euros with them.
700 lira + 100 sterling would that see us through the fortnight i wont be doing my shopping in the way of clothes only a few gifts and like i said we wont be drinking every night. Cheers
I would think you would be fine if you are going half board.
Im a bit worried now i originally thought that it would be okay.
You are taking about £50 per day between you, as you only going to be eating lunch out then you should be fine. As someone said previously beer is cheap to drink, wine and imported spirits are expensive so just watch the prices of drinks.
Thanks and what a lovely name you have.
Rob you say you have 700 lira and so does your G/F 1400 lira for 2 of you is enough , you are half board so i take it you will get breakfast and afternoon meal , now i dont care much for a turkish breakfast and you can get a full english for 4 lira which is very filling , we drink efes beer over there cheap enough at between 3 and 4 lira a bottle , we find Turkey as cheap or as expensive as you want to make it enjoy your hols .
Rob
If you can take some sterling too then you don't have to use it but it's always there as a back-up and may stop you worrying! My son's friend came with us this year and his mum gave me an envelope with emergency money incase he should need it ( he knew nothing about this extra money so he budgeted his spending money accordingly) and it was returned to her unopened!
I was in Marmaris 2 weeks ago and if you asked the price of something they said told you in lira and sterling, so I don't think you need bother taking Euros. The only place things were priced in Euros was at the duty free in Dalaman Airport on the way back home. I'm sure you and your girlfriend will have a great holiday - where are you staying?

Kedi - I thought that was your real name and often thought how well it matched your Turkish surname ( I remember reading in one of your other posts that your husband is Turkish) That also explains the pic of the kitten you use - I thought it must be a family pet!!
Thanks everybody for the responses its been of great help and were staying at the anitque palace hotel :)
I certainly wouldn't bother taking Euros - you're best taking sterling as you get a much better rate of exchange once you're in Turkey anyway.
Following a lot of discussion on here before we went in June, I wouldn't take anything except a few Lira, the £10 for your visa and your bank cashpoint card. You will get a better exchange rate over there and you only cash what you need.

My Oh and I spent approximately 2000ytl when we were there BUT

we were self catering so all meals had to be paid for which included 2/3 courses most nights.
we hired a car for a week at a cost of 160ytl (and with fuel at £1-35 a litre that ate in to the budget)
we went on an all day boat trip
My OH went to Ephysus for a day trip ( I was in Rhodes at the time but I budgetted seperately for that trip - and I was amazed at how much more expensive it was in the Euro zone compared to Turkey)
We both had pedicures, I had a Turkish shave, OH had a manicure
We bought presents
MY OH drinks diet coke (which was more expensive than the Efes beer!!)

AND - we had a brilliant time and can't wait for next year. :cheers

So I think you should be OK, Rob

Dave
Pick up a bottle of your favourite alcohol on arrival at airport, a couple before you go out at night will save on costs, and you can drink cheaper drinks like beer...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.