Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Personally I think you would be wasting your time. The event itself would automatically increase security levels and it is quite possible that Hayes & Jarvis would not even be aware that the Japanese PM was staying at your hotel.

A similar thing happened to a work colleague back in the early 70s here in the UK. The hotel were allowed to accept bookings, but were prevented from telling people who were booked in. It was particularly scary for him due to the threat being from the IRA.

fwh
I can't imagine that Hayes & Jarvis would have known about this when you made the booking. For security reasons, I would hope that the identity of the hotel the Japanese PM was to be staying at would have only been made public shortly before he arrived. I can see how the situation was inconvenient for all the guests at the hotel, but I'm not sure how it "ruined" your holiday or why it was a "frightening and nightmare experience." It was explained to you why the security was present at the hotel; what made this frightening?

I'd take the $100 and run. I think you'd have zero chance of winning in a small claims court, especially as you don't say you filled out a complaint to the rep at the hotel. It's just my opinion... I'm no expert on these things.

Also, you might want to edit your post and remove the word you typed about the security men. Depending on the context, that word is racist and is likely to raise a few eyebrows.
Well I suppose if you like having armed men around you, sniffer dogs etc. it's ok, the place was obviously in a " high security alert status" which in my mind doesn't make an enjoying relaxing holiday.
I don't think the word Spooks will raise any eyebrows in the UK which is basically where the majority of the forum's members reside.
The word is in common usage in the UK and means spies or security personel. It doesn't have the same
meaning as it does in the USA and I would imagine that the majority of people using this forum wouldn't even know what the word tends to mean in the USA.
I have stayed in the Regent in Cha Am, apart from relaxing around the pool there isn't much else to do and I would certainly have found the noise from helicopters and constant checks from security personnel very off putting and it would have most probably ruined my holiday.
I really don't believe though that Hayes and Jarvis can be held responsible. The OP should have contacted them and asked to be moved to another hotel. It's probably best to accept the money and try and forget the whole experience..
I don't think you will get anywhere with your complaint. I doubt Hayes and Jarvis would have known about the high profile people staying at the hotel. They wouldn't just advertise that kind of information.
H&J have advised that they did know about it beforehand. Also, on the day that I went to file a complaint, I was told by reception that the rep was not coming because he would not be allowed in the hotel and he did not have an I/D card issued, although I found out later he was eventually allowed in.
As far as not being H&J's fault having done a bit of research on the web, my understanding is that I would claim from them and they would claim from the 3rd party, i.e. the hotel
The thing is though Hayes and Jarvis can't stop people staying at a hotel. It's completely out of their control and the hotel isn't going to turn away business. What would it be that you are claiming for? The disruption to your holiday caused by another guest? I reckon Hayes and Jarvis will come back to you saying it was something they had no control over. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Strictly speaking any Tour Operator is responsible for their actions and those of their suppliers, so effectively they ARE responsible for the actions of the hotel.

Did you immediately put your complaint in the form of a complaints form to the resort rep? You have to allow them time to rectify the problem. If you haven't done this, your claim is going to be harder to progress.

Mark :)
I was trying to process my complaint via several meetings with the customer manager with no success, but as I pointed out in my last post the day the rep was due to visit (his last prior to me returning home) reception told me he was not coming because of the security restrictions although I was told by others afterwards that he was eventually allowed in.
Whether or not a Tour Op knew who was booked into a particular hotel they should have known when an event like this was happening and therefore realised that the resort would be subject to major restrictions. So you should have been warned when you booked as the summit would have been planned well in advance. In UK consumer legislation there is a phrase" reasonable care and skill" that covers this sort of thing so you could agrue that they have failed to show this, causing them to make signficant mistakes in the description of the sort of holiday you might expect - which was what you based your contract on.

This appears to have been a "routine" summit planned well in advance, not emergency, and is listed on ASEANs 2009 calendar at http://www.aseansec.org/22984.htm#10-09 you can use the links at the top left of that page to get into this year and see what they have planned for this October.
I think this problem requires the assistance of an expert in Travel Law. Give Ros Fernihough a call. Ros often assists our members and will offer you free advice on whether or not it's worth pursuing this case.

The direct number to Ros's PA Pam is 01922 705134

Or try the switchboard number 01922 633214 and ask for Travel Dept.
My company received the following on October 6th - which admittedly was very very short notice. However we were able to run a report of those travelling and pass on this information. There would be no indication of what hotels VIP's and Prime Ministers would stay at for obviously reason. Having stayed at the Regent (I thought it became the the Holiday Inn?) i'm surprised they put people there, still, it is a large hotel. I presume H&J would have been made aware, and should have advised people. Obviously though that cannot be taken as fact.

It's also unfair to expect them to have fully comprehend the extent of the security problems. Please do not forget that it is only a couple of months after the major political protests in Bangkok, and the Thai government had to 'overkill' on the security.

News Update ASEAN SUMMIT IN HUA HIN / OCTOBER 23rd - 25th, 2009

6th October 2009

The 15th ASEAN Summit will be held in the Cha-am and Hua Hin area between 23rd and 25th October. ** Strict security measures will be in place from the 21st October.

Thailand's Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Monday said the 15th Summit of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) will be held in Cha-am and Hua Hin as the government plans to enforce the Internal Security Act (ISA) during the meeting in October.

"To ensure the security during the upcoming summit, the government will enforce the special law around the meeting venues", Mr Abhisit said.

Delegates attending the summit will be high-ranking officials and heads of states from over 16 countries. The Thai government will be invoking major security measures for this event to ensure its success and the safety of all involved.

We expect a high level of security around all major hotels and grounds for the duration of the event. The security level will be stronger than the last one in March.

Representative Visits to Hotels

We would like to inform you that visits by (our) representatives into the hotels may not be possible during this period. Only the staff and officers will be allowed to enter the hotel and its public area. However we will try the best to make a visit to the in-house and new arrival clients. If not then we will try to make phone contact.

Transfer Times

In general, transfers may require more time than usual due to potential delays caused when VIP's move around. Please also aware that we would need an early pick-up time maybe 6 ½ hours before the Bangkok flight time as the Petchakasem Road will be closed sometimes for the ASEAN Summit attendees journey. Inbound customers may be dropped at the hotel's entrance then the hotel-staff will process the journey in the hotel.
The level of security you experienced is not disimilar to that of a cruise ship.

The level of excitement and interest caused by the security/dignitaries etc etc could possibly be viewed as a bomus.

I'd have got as many autographs as possible, sold the buggers and made the best of it.........or......... asked for achange of hotel within 24 hours of experiencing the "problems" you describe.

H & J have, in my opinion made a reasonable offer given you did not seek a change of hotel/venue.

Mike
Thanks all, I'm going to give Ros a call tomorrow, will let you know the outcome.
We booked our holidays on 16th August 2016 the Rocky Mountaineer Train for 2 days then Alaska cruise for 7 days for our 25th wedding Anniversary.

So we left Heathrow on Aug 16th to fly to Seattle on delta airlines.We arrived earlier than expected that was great has we had to catch another delta flight to
Calgary to stay overnight in Banff.Our flight was 15:00pm plenty of time!!.

So when we arrived at Seattle we had to que for nearly 2 hours to go through customs so after that was sorted we had to go and pick up our luggage and then go back through security witch by this time we had missed our fight to Calgary.So the next flight was at 20:00 so we were so disappointed as we kissed seeing Banff didn't get to the hotel till 13:30pm and had to leave hotel by 6:30 to catch the train.We only saw Banff in a taxi to the train station.

The hold up in Airport was delta I wish I hadn't agreed to fly with them i won't be in the future.
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.