Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Get in touch with Ros Fernihough.She sorts out many a persons holiday complaints here on Holidaytruths.

The direct number to Ros's PA Pam is 01922 705134

Or try the switchboard number 01922 633214 and ask for Travel Dept.

Good Luck.

Angie.
I see this in terms of two different issues - the airport / political problems, and the Seaview Rooms.

Re: The Seaview Rooms, if you paid for Seaview Rooms that what you should get. I'm a bit confused though, having seen the Kata Thani, all rooms had (good?) seaviews? The were just incorporating the Kata Bhuri, a cheaper hotel behind it (which if I remember rightly, didn't have any seaviews as the Kata Thani was in the way?). Either way something is up. Did your confirmations say 'Seaview' Rooms on? If so, you deserve some kind of recompense.

Re: the other issues to do with the take over of the airport.

There was very little that I could see that H&J could do. Events were moving so fast, information was coming through inaccurately, and no-one knew how long the protests would last. It makes sense that you couldn't get up to Chiang Mai.

It also makes complete sense that you couldn't get to Phuket without chartering a car and paying £250.

There are no trains to Phuket, but all the trains South (including ones that go closest to Phuket ), and all the luxury coaches that do go were completely full during this time. There was no chance of you securing a seat unless you went down to the bus terminals and stood around for hours fighting with the queue's and the masses trying to get out (which is what people were doing - there were a lot of desperate people trying to get out of Bangkok, and a lot of tourists desperate to make it to Kuala Lumpur, Phuket, and Singapore where they could get flights from). I know this as I knew people trying to get out on these dates (and ended up chartering mini-buses as they couldn't get luxury coaches).

And it was completely force majeure, so H&J couldn't have been expected to pay for the private hire car as they would have had thousands of people in Thailand at the time. As long as their agents in Bangkok (Turisma-Asia) ensured you were safe in Bangkok, and kept you informed where possible, it sounds like they executed their responsibilities. A lot of tourists were inconvenienced far worse than yourselves, but at least you did the practical thing and got down to Phuket asap to restart your holiday.

A lot of your problems stemmed from something they had little control over, and it sounds like your timing co-incided with the worst possible dates. But I would be interested to see where this goes.
Thank you sooooo much I'll give her a ring when I get home. :tup
The response from Travelling Sam is interesting and explains much of what was happening at that time.

TOs have a duty of care and returning you to your hotel is the only thing they could do. Probably the safest place to be when such incidents occur.

I do not know who should pay in such circumstances - The TO or you, hopefully claiming back from your insurers, providing such incidents are not excluded. No doubt one of our members may be able to throw light on the legal position. The hotel quite correctly does require someone to pay.

As I understand your posting you have now recovered these costs. Your decision to make your own way to Chaing Mai is exactly that. Your decision. Your choice.

The TO would move you as soon as was practical, but they are dealing with more than just your party so it is not quite as simple.

The additional nights cost when you arrived early is, in my opinion, your responsibility.

As you had paid for upgrading then those costs should be repaid.

How much was the credit note for? You do not say. The general advice given here on HT is to politely refuse vouchers and credit notes and ask for a cheque.

You say you feel you should be given compensation - My question is why?

The events which took place were outside the control of the TO. It may have caused you distress but it also did the same for thousands more. Having been in a country following a revolution and the obvious unrest I can sympathise but unfortunately this does happen. I note only today that the Foreign & commonwealth Office have now revised their advice re travel to that part of the world following the events of last week.

I have no doubt the reason for the delay in getting a reply was due to them awaiting the information from their people who were there - not always as speedy as is should be at times.

Did you complete a formal complaint form with the rep whilst you were there?

fwh
Terrorism, war, rebellion etc. are not covered under my policy. I think this is usually a general exclusion but other policies may be different.
Maz, as far as your credit note goes, if both parties were on the one booking, the tour op will send everything out to the lead name. Any credits, cheques etc. will only be made payable to that person.
Just a thought... Im guessing that you just booked the most basic rooms for the 1st night at the Katathani Resort? (the extra night because you arrived early)

If this is the case, were you moved to the 'seaview' room that you had booked through H&J after that 1st night for the remaining 8 nights in Phuket?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.