EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Malaga city, or the province?
the province, they want to go to benalmanada area.
Aye aye, that's where I live. The local schools are good, and the kid certainly won't be the only English speaker in the class.

For the ironing and cleaning, there's quite a lot of competition. The key to success is reliability, and also having enough money to tide you over the getting started period while you build up a client base.
well they have been really stupid, they have saved NO money up, they will be going over with less than a grand and no income, they are going to live with her mother in law and think that they can just get well paid jobs and live happily ever after. I have tried getting them back down to earth but it doesn't work. I have heard of people going out there with a hundred grand and still not being able to last over there.

They think they are going to have an easy life there, working a few hours a day and then spending the rest of the time on the beach or by the pool. They are going in 13 days and they haven't even started packing, or researched the area, they haven't even enquired about schools. They have been to the area 3 times, twice on hoiliday and once as a day trip to visit family and from that they think they know anything.

She wants to know why i said i won't miss her, it's because i know she will be back in 6 weeks max.
........could you not gently persuade them to look at some of the HT threads concerning the experiences of others who have made the move....it's far preferable to learn from the mistakes of others rather than just taking such a drastic life-changing step without too much thought of the consequences.....
Do not worry. Wish her well and offer a shoulder for her and tell her to keep in touch with you.

Without a doubt she will struggle as it is tough on the Costa del Sol. But you know what, she might just pull this off!! Why? Because if she was taking stacks of money over with her, she would probably meet the wrong type of people who would only be interested in her cash, making false promises of business investments and the likes. As she wont have much money, she wont have anything to lose and everything to gain. It will be an adventure and a learning curve for her in life.

She will find her way slowly and if she is keen on working hard she could cope. My big worry is the small amount she is taking over with her. You would need more than that just for a holiday so goodness knows how she will manage with a small amount? Still, good luck to her and I hope she enjoys the experience.

At the very worst, when she came back she will have some great memories!! Good and bad trust me.
Arr, if she's willing to work hard and make the effort she should be okay. However, it sounds like you don't think she is?
they are willing to work, but they think they are going to walk into fantastic well paid jobs which have sociable hours but even i know that they won't like i said my mum wants to do ironing (its what she does here) andmy step-dad wants a job driving, but the only bit of spanish they know is "2 beers please" they will not be told otherwise even tough step-dads sister tried living there with a heck of a lot more money and they wont even listen to her. All I am bothered about is my brother, he i 10 and has a few learning dificulties like dyslexia and he is struggling in an english school, my step dad is driving and is leaving in 9 days with my mum and brother following by plane 2 days later and they have not enquired about anything regarding schools, not even an internet search.
While I can see why you are worried stacey, I have to agree with what danzacurt says, it will be a bit of an adventure, and if it fails then they won't have lost too much!!

As far as schools for your brother are concerned, if your mum has so little money, I doubt they will be able to afford the fees for the English Speaking schools, and to go to spanish school they will need to be residents, or at the very least proceeding with the paperwork and registered in the town hall. Even if your brother doesn't go to school for a while he will be hopefully mixing with local children which is a great way to start to understand the language. There will be different things for him to "learn", even if he isn't in a classroom :D
Are their names Les and Cilla :)
Ha Ha Jackie, Hilarious! :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.