Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Most people will understand at least some English in the resorts or they wouldn't be able to earn money from English-speaking people.

"My son is diabetic" would roughly translate as "Моят син е диабетен" (Moyat sin e diabeten)

Baldur
Danni

Three more useful words for you.

Bez - without

Zakar - sugar

Molya - please.

Patka
Hi Danni, I am an insulin diabetic and have been going to Bulgaria, in particular Sunny Beach and Golden Sands for a number of years.
Touch wood, I have never had a problem in either resort. As most people in hotels, restaurants etc., speak English I always carry my diabetic card with me issued by the Diabetic Association along with a letter from my doctor which has my drugs etc detailed on it and authorizes me carrying insulin.
I usually inject 30 mins before my meals and tend to use the toilet if we are eating out so as not to put people off.

8) Toonman
Thanks guys thats great will feel a bit better having this info just in case -

toonman2 the wee lad is also insulin diabetic and requires two injections a day we try not to take him to the toilets to do it as the nurse has said as he is only 4 its not something we should make a big deal of. he is really good at getting it done so most people dont even notice us doing it hopefully it will be the same over there I've got my letter from the doctor is it advisable to carry this with us? thanks for taking the time to reply

11 sleeps to go !!!
I've got my letter from the doctor is it advisable to carry this with us?

It's certainly advisable in the light of the recent security measures at airports, let alone for information in Bulgaria.

Baldur
Hi Danni, I usually carry my letter just in case an emergency occurs( none so far), usually in wife's handbag.
I have on many occasions injected myself discreetly at our table in the restaurant without any issues so dont worry.
I have also found it useful to carry one of my prescriptions with me just in case you get anyone asking questions at customs etc. Also useful if you need emergency supplies in Bulgaria, tells chemist exactly what you need.

8) Toonman
hi
dont worry about what people will say, the bulgarians love children and they ll probley want to make you feel more comfortableabout the situation, they are very helpful and kind so dont worry about it, its more the english that are narrow minded . have a great holiday and if anyone is funny about it tell them nicely to "go away" ;) and stop looking if theyve got a problem with what you have to do and that its a matter of life or death for your child.
Just a remark-not "diabeten" but "diabetik".This is the word we use in Bg
i discolazur, thanks for that - I said that it was a rough translation (machine translation by Skycode. :wink:

Baldur
Hi guys thanks for this it is appreciated
zoemarksean - that is definatly the attitude I have when I am at home and in the past two years have only ever had one problem with one guy :twisted: and he apologised and bought the table a round of drinks after I had put him in his place :wink: think he was extremly embarrassed with himself and I know his wife was!!!! But as its someone else's country I feel that its probably best to try and find out if the locals would inject there kids in public or not. have since found out that its widely accepted over there so should not have any problems hopefully !! most people are just curious in a nice way. think I would be the same if I was on the other side!
No problem Baldur:)"diabeten" sounds like adjective but it is not used in our language,if we want use an adjective it will be "diabetichen" and "diabetik" is the noun.byeee
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.