Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
never stayed there but heres there web address

http://www.highland-beachresort.com/
Hi David

We go to the Highland Beach Resort 26/2 for 3 weeks so we'll be there at the same time as you. We went there last year and loved it so much we booked again. The best rooms are near the second pool at the back of the hotel. The rooms are clean and staff are really friendly. You'll have a great time. Anything you need to know just PM me.

Tracy
Went 2 years ago and loved it. Going again on 8th April for 3 weeks. (We've never been back to the same hotel twice) We've got 2 children and the hotel was perfect for them. Staff lovely, room great, althogh we didn't spend much time there !! Have a great holiday.
:) Hi David,
Highland Beach is my hubby's favourite hotel, :pele .
He always raves about the breakfasts, i must agree when we stayed there you did get plenty of choice, not just the normal a 1001 ways with an egg, :tup , but indian choices as well, some of them we couldn't identify :shrug , but others were certainly worth a try.
Agree with what as already been said regarding the rooms and there is a good restaurant not far from there, Casa Mona Lita (dont know if it's spelt right) which is mentioned on the best restaurants thread.
have agood one and enjoy
jayne :wave
:smokin Thanks for all your advice....I have e-mailed hotel & requested room as per your recommendations. 8)
The highland beach is a lovely hotel, it was certainly one of the best we saw whilst in Candolim a few months ago.

We stayed in a room above the main pool which is the first pool you come to next to reception, the bar and the resturant. Our room was amazing to say the least! it was just the 2 of us, and we were given a suite, we had 2 double bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a massive balcony overlooking the pretty gardens and a big balcony overlooking the first pool area, there was a kitchen & dining area in our suite with fridge, mini bar and then also a living room area with coffee tables, sofas and satalite tv. We had planty of room, it was spotless, towels changed daily - we were more than happy.

We never went round the 2nd pool area much because when I was there, quite a bit of building maintenance work was going on at the back of the complex but we did walk round it and the pool looked nice as did all the surrounding rooms.

Try the room service one night, we did once or twice! after a late night in Baga, the 24hr menu is very extensive but I settled on the Club sarnie & it was great.

It's a lovely hotel and was fully booked up whilst we were there so it must be very popular. The breakfasts are great as mentioned, my OH had a cheese omlette most morings which set him up for the day.

One thing that was quite funny - the "entertainment" round the lovely lit up pool area, from Fri-Sun nights! - theres a hotel band that pretend to play instruments and sing but actually it's a tape that their playing ( as you can tell when the power goes off twice each night! - dont worry the HB provide plenty of candles in your room) - it's all good fun, no sooner have you scrambled about for a candle & matches than the hotels generator has kicked in and lights return. Seems to just be around 5-8pm perhaps when it's hairdryer time. all good fun.

Hope you have a lovely holiday in Goa... & don't hesitate to ask if you have any HB questions?

happy holidays :D
I have stayed at the HB for the last 2 years in December.
I can vouch for the other posts in that it is a very good hotel but if I was to be very pedantic then there are a couple of things to take into account.
1. Don't hire scooters or motorbikes from the bell-boys without doing so for just one day initially so that you can check the bike out first. I would use this advice whenever hiring from someone you don't know. The bikes have been poorly maintained and in one case quite dangerous (kick start bent and only just clearing the ground) I handed it back after 30 mins only to see someone else riding it the next day.
2. Remember that the hotel is highly rated by Indian standards not international ones. Although the staff are attentive sometimes you have to ask twice to get things done eg fault with phone, return of laundry, mini-bar refilled.
As I say I'm being very pedantic and therefore I would highly recommend this hotel.
Please could anyone who has been to the Highland Beach resort let me know how they got on, as I am thinking about going this winter. This will be my first time in Goa and from all that has been written, Candolim sounds as if it would be the best place to visit?
Many thanks. :lol:
Hi, we have been visiting Candolim since 1998, and we have stayed in the Highland Beach 3 times, last year when we visited they had no rooms available (we booked flight only), for 2 nights we stayed with friends above their bar (Bom Sucesso Restaurant). We visited various hotels and are very happy to say we stumbled on the Phoenix Park Hotel which is just down the road from The Highland.
Whilst I can thoroughly recommend the Highland Beach, (shortage of sun loungers) I will now always stay at The Phoenix, it is a bit more personal and Mario (the Manager) cannot do enough to make you stay a good one. My Partner hurt has back (old problem) whilst we were there, and they were brilliant, couldnt do enough to help, doctor etc.
Hotel has a good restaurant, Internet, very relaxing,
Have a great stay,
I've stayed at the HBR for the last two years ( a fortnight in December)
I never had breakfast or any meals at the hotel just the odd bit of room service.

Positives
Good location near Candolim Beach Rd
No passing traffic
24hour Room Service & drinks minibar
Laundry service
Very clean and well sized rooms

Negatives
Ask twice to get anything done by the reception staff
Quality of scooters on hire from bell boys - stay well clear.

Although the negatives seem pedantic, I have added them to allow you to gauge how good the hotel is.

I would return however I've booked to stay at the Bogmalo Beach Resort next December.
:D Hi
Hubby would recommend the HBR with his last breath, he loved the breakfast :tup , i must admit they were good and it was a change to be offered an indian choice for breakfast instead of the 1001 ways with an egg :mrgreen: , although some of them did take a bit of detective work to decide what they were :? .
We stayed in a room overlooking the front pool and where the evening entertainment was held ( i say entertainment lightly :wink: ), the room was very good, with seperate bedroom and lounge area and air conditioning, the only thing i didn't like was the fact that i had to check the bar bills because one particular waiter (i called him paspartu because he resembled the little guy in the 70's or 80's series the "love boat") seemed to always add things on to it that we didn't have and this is the only place in Goa in the past 6-7 years i have to do this :shrug ,otherwise this is a lovely standard of hotel, i personal prefer something slightly smaller were you can get to know your fellow holiday makers better :glynis .
you dont have anything to worry about with accomodation just check you bills, even though Goa is very reasonable there is no excuse for being blatently ripped off and all this waiter succeeded in doing was having a reduced tip when we left.
Many thanks for all your replys, this will help me make my mind up, think I will book soon.
Due to go to the Highland on 7th April, and we've just received a letter from Thomas Cook saying that they are building a new pool and eight new
apartment blocks. Has anyone got any info on the work.
We have got an option to move hotels, but we do only sleep there and we like the hotel. I would really appreciate any help.
:) Hi Sarah Jane
When we were out in Goa in January this year,we spoke to some people who were staying at the Highland Beach and apparently the building work is around tha back of the Hotel.
If you know the hotel it's suppose to be near where the "Gulzar" (dont know if spelling is correct) restaurant is / was :shrug .
It didn't disturbed their holiday but they were staying in the main building at the front.
Apparently this work is going to last for quite a while as they are building quite a few new appartments and apparently they are very reasonabiliy priced :tup , so while your out there you could have a look and come back owning your own appartment, those people told us that a member of their group actually put an appartment on their credit card :?
Very interesting. Will have to go and check this out when I'm there. Thanks for the info.

Sharon
Shaz, When do you go ??
You shouldn't be disturbed by the building works, we were in Goa, in January and we heard that the Highland beach resort were building new apartments, so we went to the reception to enquire, they showed us where they were building, as you walk up the road to the entrance, it is to your left on the land there that the apartments are going to be built.

They told us that the apartments will be ready by the next season, and a 1 bedroom apartment, will be around 11,000 pounds 2 bed 13,000 pounds,
that is good value considering you are in the centre of candolim and you will also have a brand new swimming pool in the bargain.
Sarah, I go tommorrow, I will check it out for you :D

Sharon
We stayed there in nov 03 the room we had was fantastic, it had two bathrooms,two bedrooms one with a/c two lovely balconies one over looking the main pool and bar, there was a lounge, kitchen consists of sink, fridge, table and two chairs,then in the lounge were a t,v,two settees coffee table. We were very pleased with the room, the only downfall was we were on the third floor and it was a hike up all them steps.Just above us on the roof was a sun terrace which we used every day no one else knew about it it i don,t think, the peace and quite heaven on earth.All i can say is try it you wont be disappointed.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.