Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
xdaniellex

hope everything works out for you at HVWS. Place does look good in brochure thats why we booked it originally.Anyway hope you have a great time and come back and tell us everything is great and the village is spot on for others to try

regards
EASTYORKSHIRETONE
emidia

thats may be true for most cubans but not for the officials
at the airport or at the beurau de change i went to

daz
We have booked to go HVWS on 31st August (me, hubby and our 2 year old daughter) We have been concerned by some of the reports we have heard so went to see our travel agent, who said we can change hotels if we want but everything should be fine by the time we go. I was just wondering if anyone could offer their opinion on whether to go HVWS or change and go somewhere else as we really cant decide!!! Part of me wants to stick with it and give it a chance, but it has cost us so much money I dont know if we should risk it!! HELP!!!!
Nic, Bob & Lila x
hello kikijolly
we were in the same dilema as you with all the worries whilst others at the time seemed to be getting changes at hotels our travel agent wouldn't without extra cost. i have been into thompson several times with my concerns over the past 2months. however we decided to give it ago and got over 25% of our costings back. we fly out sat 28th and return 13th july. i'm happy to give an unbiased report on wshv our boys are 12 and 15 so as to a young un i wouldn't be able to give a view on. this will be my third time to mexico it is a lovely place . there does seem to be positive feed back filtering through now so my advice would be to hang on a little while before you make a rash decision .
Hi there kikijolly

My hubby and me fly out from Gatwick on 30th Aug for two weeks, like yourselves we have had mixed feelings but we have been to hotels that have had bad reports before and we have found them ok, so at this present time we are still going but will still keep reading the reports on here and other web sites. As we are going as a couple we have upgraded to the royal suites in the vip area. I hope that as there is still over 9 weeks untill we go hopefully everything will be sorted. :sun2
hi all

i have just been into my agents and swapped m to jamaica
at an extra cost of £200 but that was because had to pay
adult price for my daughter.
the reason i swapped was the relaxation pool will be closed
untill july 26th and that there is still work going on around
the grounds.

daz
Hi Kikijolly,
We dont go till 13.09.09, however we had payed way over the top for the H.V.W.S and the way the reviews were going we were not prepared to risk it.Our agent even agreed with us that it was best to change hotel, we are now going to the Iberostar at a £1500 refund for 4 people,our fingers are crossed we have made the right decision.
We have just returned from our holiday to HVWS on 7th June. It is definitely not 4* standard
The rooms, although kept clean by the maid, were dated. All around the grounds there were unfinished work, holes left open and uncovered . The path to the kids play area was unfinished with water settled at the entrance making it muddy.

The relaxation pool had broken concrete on the floor and my daughter got blue paint on her legs and some were getting paint on their swimming costumes. The activity pool was then closed down on the 2nd week. It was cordoned off by black netting but clouds of dust drifted into the snack bar and lunchtime restaurant and we noticed that the black netting had turned white from the dust after a few days

Although the splash pool opened the 2nd week it only opened at 10pm and closed at 5pm every day when kids were still playing and were stopped from using the slides. The beach was beautiful but the clouds of dust and noise from the work in the activity pool was drifting over and walking past that every day was unpleasant when you are expecting a tranquil and relaxing holiday.

The jaccuzi stopped working and water left in for people to still use even though the pump was not working - there were burn marks on the wall and wires sticking out at the control box left uncovered which was painted over after about 2 days.

The high wires were being built so that area was also cordoned off with large holes being dug for the poles. One day a crane was brought in to lift the poles.

Food generally was poor, not much variety to choose from and not filled up quickly enough with flies on the food and birds scavaging for scraps of food. The chicken off the grill at lunchtime was not good standard it was fatty and you were lucky if you had 2 bites of chicken. The burgers didn't look as if they had been cooked enough. On occasions the rice and the potatoes were not cooked enough . Service in the main restaurant was unorganised a number of times we had ordered drinks and they still hadn't arrived when we had finished our meal.

There was no ice cream for kids during the daytime (only if you paid from the shop) even though they explained it's not advertised, you would expect ice cream to be available on a hotel complex aimed at families and children.

The waiter service at the pool/beach area was hit and miss - there was not enough waiters wandering around so you had to fetch your own drinks and one occasion there was no glasses and another no ice. We saw a waiter on the beach 4 times during the 2 weeks and twice at the poolside

They had ran out of minutes for the internet if you went late in the afternoon The 24hrs bar was not open some nights and we were told it was due to no staff being available. Also on some of the excursions we had to pay for our own taxi.

Although I expect a lot of the work has been completed by now we would not go back here as we don‘t feel the standard of accommodation is 4* We were not given the option to change before we arrived even though we did ask if there were any problems. If you have the chance change your holiday. We have sent a letter to First Choice to demanding a refund and are awaiting a reply.
Came back last weekend. Had a great time. Have posted hotel report.
Many thanks for the review DoctorFraz. It has now been approved and available to view.

luci :wave
Hi everyone!!
We just wanted to say thanks for your replies to our questions, we have decided to stick with HVWS, as more positive reviews are coming through on various sites, and as it will be a good few years before we can afford a holiday like this again we would be gutted if we missed out on what looks like an amazing place!!! At the end of the day we will make the most of it and go with an open mind, if there are minor problems we will work round them im sure.
Nannieann, we fly out on 31st august so might see you there?? Ill be the northern bird looking all pale (never tan :( ) running around after my gorgeous 2 year old!!!
Only 52 more sleeps!!!! Bring it on :) Nicki x x x x
Kikijolly
I am pleased like yourself to see more positve reviews coming on different sites, like you say the place looks very nice so going with an open mind and going to enjoy our holiday whatever it may bring, after all I would not be happy to fly so many hours just to moan about every little thing. Althought we are in vip area we are sure to go to the other resturants so may see you around, I will try not to run you over in my wheelchair or you may have something to moan about lol. :cheers
Hello every body im back and to be fair its not as bad as others have made out have posted a review which after it has been looked over im sure will appear soon . anybody travelling soon the resort is ok no its probably not a 4star but maybe a 3.6 star. food is as good as most places i've stayed at and does cater for almost everyone rooms kept clean every day . there was a spate of thefts as daft as it sounds somebody actually stole our beach towels and others had clothes taken from outside there rooms but the hotel did seem to increase security and it died down . anybody any questions ill be pleased to reply and answer.
Many thanks for the review lampard. It's now available to view.

luci :wave
Hi there

I am going to HVWS on Sun 17th August with my family. I have been reading the reviews over the past 2 months and we are still going. Can anybody tell me what money they took. I want to order some this week but I don't really know how much and what is the best, cash or travel cheques. :que

2 more days to go in school and then I just want to get on that plane :sun2 . We want to swim with dolphins does anybody know the best people to book through and how much does it cost?? :que We are all in and have to small children 6yrs/3yrs so we will not be going on lots of trips we will spend most of our time on the beach or around the pool.

Thanx
The best place to swim with dolphins is at Chankanaab Park on Cozumel. We did the Royal Swim with dolphins which was thrilling. We booked direct with http://www.dolphindiscovery.com and I know numerous people who have booked with them without any problem. The program takes a couple of hours. We got to play with the dolphins, kissed and petted them, then each of us swam out into the lagoon in turn, the dolphins circle around underneath you them come up either side of you and lift you up under your feet and propel you along until you fall back into the water. Then you go out again and they circle, come up under you and you grab their fins and they pull you along hanging onto their fins. Of course they take lots of photos and a DVD is made $$$ it's an expensive day but so worth it. Absolutely thrilling. They have various programs from the Dolphin Encounter, where you are standing on a submerged grille and just get to pet the animals. Have a look at their website. "My" dolphin ( I had my photo taken kissing her) was called Madonna, she is still there, she kissed me then blew me a big raspberry- it was FUNNY- I have seen her on numerous programs on the travel channel. They are wonderful.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.