Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
mark18 you asked for it.
Have been going to TURKEY for god knows how long but would love a change and so BULGARIA and the chance to nip intp Istanbul.

and so the questions.
Is it value for money
Is it friendly (not as tactile as the Turks i'd expect)
Hotels are the good standard, what extras do you pay for ie air con, fridge etc etc
Which area is the nicest I heard a rumour that thet southern beach is mafia true or false?
Which company for a package looked at balkan hols but there must be other and price is big on the agenda
have you yourself got fave hotel or place?
Money whats the best to take and did you feel safe with cash on you?
Quality of food both in hotel and in surrounding bars and restsurants?
Is HB better than B&B?

Thats about it for now and thank you in advance for you responses.

chris :wink:
Chris
if you search the site for Balkan you will find lots of information scatted through several forums but beware most of what i have read isn't too good, from experience i would not go less than 4 star official rating, most of the major TO's offer Bulgaria

wizard
Chris, you should find answers to your questions already on here, however I will try and help a bit.

We went to Sunny Beach in September with Direct Holidays - 1 week half board in the 4 star Iberostar Sunny Beach for £730. Wizard is right - dont go less than 4 star if you want to guarantee cleanliness etc.

We found it to be very good value for money, eating out very cheap, good pubs/bars. Never been to Turkey but believe the clothes, bags etc are similar to see and again are cheap.

We felt, like others have mentioned, that it is very geared up towards the Germans but they have been visiting the area for years so I suppose thats why. People were friendly in some places, but again its similar to anywhere you go, some nice staff, some not so nice.

We took clean English notes and also Bulgarian Lev with us. I got a good rate from HSBC online before we left and it was actually better that what you could exchange for over there. We didnt take any Travellers Cheques as you are charged around 8 to 10% to change them.

Never ever felt unsafe, just use your common sense and you will be ok. You wouldnt walk around flashing your money in this country so why do it abroad.

Food in the hotel was ok, but we found the food in the local bars/cafes to be top notch, loads of it and very tasty.

We will definately go back - probably again half board as there usually isnt a great price difference between this and B&B.

Hope this is of some help.
Hi Mark, Bulgaria is absolutely buzzing now. We have been going for a number of years now and we much prefer Sunny Beach.
It is the biggest resort, flat, unlike Golden Sands, and expanding by the day. Ample places to eat and drink and very cheap.
You will find a number of companies now go to Bulgaria although Balkan have the biggest choice because they have been there the longest. I would recommend 4* hotels but some of the new apartments for self catering are superb. Whatever you do DO NOT go Allocated On arrival unless its a minimum of 3* or above.

8) The Toonman
Thanks SALLY and Wiz.

Having just got back from TURUNC in TURKEY found the prices a big shock and yes this was my 15th time there.

So BULGARIA...... What I want is peace to sleep but able to travel into the noise( don't want it on me door step so to speak) if that makes any sense. Clean accom and the weather just warmer than blighty(wanna lot don't I)

Have been looking at ALBENA(think that's how you spell it) and could get all incl for £335* ea for a fortnight in end May 06 sounds too good to be true.

Further response most welcome and thanks again for your time.

*= First Choice summer 2006 online

Chris
Hi chris Albena is nice it is not as big as S/B or G/S but is a nice resort you can go into Varna or into G/S for a day out .The reason the prices are so low ,is a lot of things are not open as it does not get busy till June .Also not as warm .It is still warmer than here.The people are friendly and helpfull.The cost of food ,drink and clothes are cheap .at the moment . June
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.