Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Hi
The Gran Paradiso is a very nice hotel situated at the very end of Sorrento as it joins Sant Agnello. It has a high prominent position with splendid views from the terrace. As the hotel is situated off the road there is no traffic noise but do be prepared to hear the odd cockerel in the mornings....really quite pleasant.
The hotel has been re-vamped this year and it is very stylish and open. I did work in this hotel some years ago and I received odd comments about the food not being to the taste of the British.....For me this was a good sign. Why travel to Italy to eat British ?. I do hope the kitchens have not changed.
The hotel operates a frequent shuttle bus from the hotel to Sorrento town and back and starts early, around 08.00 and finishes around 23.00. However, if you enjoy a good walk you can be in Sorrento within 20 mins. from the bottom of the hotel hill there is also a public bus which operates every 10 mins and starts at 05.00 till 00.00.
The hotel has a super pool terrace and most of the bedrooms are quite spacious and suitable for upto a 2 week stay. Try and get a room on the front of the hotel as some of the rear view rooms have a very restricted view of a wall or a rather unkept garden. There will probably be a supplement for front sea-view which I would try and book at the time of booking the main holiday as the supplement is usually considerably less then paying direct to the hotel.
Gran Paradiso is run by 2 brothers who have been there years and are very professional at their job. I cannot see any problems with this hotel unless you have any walking/mobility difficulties.
I know this information as I live in Sorrento and have worked in most of its hotels.
Anything specific you may like to know, please do not hesitate to ask.
ACJ
My wife and I stayed at the Gran Paradiso three years ago and enjoyed it. As ACJ says, views from the front are spectacular. Our room was high up at the back and we had a very pleasant outlook of greenery. We also enjoyed the occasional sounds of a cow, a dog a cockrell, and the farmer and his wife.
The walk uphill is not for those with heart problems. My wife, in her early sixties found it hard work and took 20 mins, including stops. A young active person might do it in half this time. Of course, there is no need to walk up as the courtesy bus runs to and from Sorrento train station, from where you can also catch buses to Amalfi etc. The drivers were safe and reliable. Our stay was in early October and we were unable to make full use of the splendid pool and terrace. We would certainly go back there.
Best wishes
Peter.
Excellent information thanks very much. We are going to book this next month and will definately try to book this hotel it sounds just what we are looking for. Thinking of going at the beginning of May.

Are all the tourist areas easily accessible from this hotel?

I agree about the food why go to Italy and eat British - I like to sample some local dishes. Can you tell me how expensive Sorrento is please for food and drink?

Thanks again.
If anyone would like to post a review, please do so HERE.

Thanks.

Pippy :D
The hotel itself is a bit out of the way because of its hilly location. However, the courtesy bus drops off at the train station, which is very convenient for day trips. Trains are easy to use as there is only one route - Sorrent - Naples. You can get to Pompei, Herculaneum, Vesuvius and Naples. SITA buses have their terminus at the station and you can use these to go to Positano, Amalfi, Ravello as well as the Sorrento peninsula. Local buses go from the train station to Sorrento port (ferries to Capri, Amalfi, Naples) or you could walk down in about 15 mins.
Best wishes
Peter.
Thanks for your help Peter.

Can you tell me the cost of an average meal and drink? We have been to Rome before and loved it but is some parts it was pretty expensive.

Thanks
I am not the best person to ask about restaurants in Sorrento. We always book half board as we find it easier to dine at our hotel. The cost for two with wine is about €50-60. At lunch-time we have a snack, perhaps a slice of pizza and a beer or coffee at about €5-10 for two.
Best wishes
Peter.
Thanks Peter. We will be staying half board so hope the hotel food is ok. Is it buffet style? Like you we won't need much at lunchtime but it's good to know how much it will cost roughly to grab something to eat.

As we are a just a group of adults (leaving the kids at home), we will make the best of the location being on a hill, we all need the exercise anyway. It sounds as if it's easy to get to the places of interest so I can see no reason not to book it.

As soon as our friends are back from Bulgaria, we will book it.

Cheers
Its nearly three years now since we stayed there and things may have changed but this is how I remember it. Buffet breakfast with tea or coffee served by the waiter. During breakfast you had to make your choices for dinner from about three choices for each course. Not A la carte but I am OK with this. Dinner was served at table from a trolley, so you can tell the waiter how much you want. There was also a buffet salad bar. Once a week there was a gala dinner. I can't remember if this was a buffet or not.
We were allocated a shared table for the week. I suppose you won't mind this as you are in a group.
Don't worry unduly about the up-hill location. We found the courtesy bus to be reliable. We walked up once to see how tough it was. Its certainly good exercise with great views on the way up.
Best wishes
Peter.
Excellent thanks Peter that will suit us fine.

Were the cost of trips to Pompei, Capri etc OK or should we allow a lot of spending money.

Thanks
Trips to Pompei and Capri are easy to do on your own. Get return tickets for Pompei (€3.60) at the train station. Most of the staff speak english. Above the window a display tells the time and platform for the next train (to Naples) On this line there is only one station for Pompei (Pompei Scavi-Villa dei Misteri). Then there's a few minutes walk to the site. Entrance is €11, but EU citizens over 65 go free.
There are three options to sail to Capri.
Hydrofoils take 20min and cost €12 single
fast ferry takes 25 min and costs €7.80 single.
ordinary ferry takes 40 mins and costs €9 single.
Prices are from May 2006. As there is no saving in buying a return, we always get singles which leaves our options open for coming back. Get your timetables etc from the tourist information at the Foreigners club
Regards
Peter.
Thanks Peter that is very helpful.

Really looking forward to the trip.
Hi there,

We are planning a trip to sorrento with the main aim of visiting pompeii and wondered if this hotel was all it was cracked up to be? Not sure that you have been yet though....

Does anybody have any other suggestions for lovely hotels in this area?

Katy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.