Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Our best tip is try another country at a similar price cant offer any tips on any other hotels as dont know what the rest are like at the price!
I would want to know pretty damned quick what the hell they are offering at the SAME price, because it looks like a breach of contract in respect of what you originally booked.

Let us know of alternatives offered, and we'll give you an indication as to what they are like, if we can.
I would have thought first choice would have learnt their lesson from last year at the royal park in elenite.hotel not finished as over 20 pages of comments suggest. :shock:
Thanks for your response first choice were offering Helios Spa only if we paid for an amended booking they said that they were only dealing with those who were booked to go in may now by the time they got to us they couldn't guarrentee space at the Helios Sounds like a ploy to get us to pay for the foul up so we declined haven't heard from them since. We are due to pay another installment of our deposit soon so we will not be doing that unless we can agree on a suitable replacement. Can we legally insist on their honouring the booking we made with them ie all inclusive at the price we agreed?
All sorts of funny business going on with First Choice again I think.

I've booked for the Riu Helios (which is different to the Helios Spa) through FCs direct booking company Eclipse Direct.

I recently had an e-mail from Shirley who posts on here & who is going to the same hotel asking if I'd noticed it was no longer on the Eclipse web-site....

Shirley & I have been contacting Eclipse/First Choice separately to find out what is happening. Not much sense from them really apart from confirming they are no longer taking bookings for this hotel.

Eventually Shirley heared from 2 different FC teams that the hotel is fully booked that is why they've pulled it from the brochure. Its not a brand new hotel, have spoken to people who stayed there last year so hoping this info is correct.

I booked it last August. Its a decent hotel 4* AI, so don't want to be messed around days before departure :?
:cry: :cry: :cry:
hI all
my partner and i booked in september to stay at this hotel this june, i came across this forum a couple of months ago and went to first choice with print outs of what was being said, they assured us that the hotel was opening and that they had not been told other wise and would let us know of any change, but have they no first i hear of it not opening is on this site.
so tomorrow we are of to first choice with a few choice words to say to them.
:( :( :x
hi all, went to first choice today they did confirm that pgp hotel was no longer available apparently a letter has been sent out to us.we have been offered helios spa& resort as a replacement just a straight swap nothing else to pay or any amendment charges. Its new for first choice this year :wink: :wink:
I've heard very good reports about Helios Spa, there is a noddy train down to the beach and it's very close to the water-park.
i have just been back to my travel agent to change my accommodation as was booked into the paradise green park. after my travel going through all my alternatives and telling me we would have to pay to move hotels she then rang first choice who told her we have already been moved to the helios spa for the same price all inclusive. we have just signed the acceptance letter. so i would advise anyone with the same problem to just keep on at your travel agent.
We have just received our letter from First Choice offering us alternative accomodation all inclusive at Helios Spa. Have read reports about the hotel and it seems that the hotel is nice but all-inclusive customers are made to wait and can't get drinks from all the bars as they are owned privately Any info about this?
To anyone still following this thread, I can confirm that this complex was completed in August 2005. I went out there in June and Oct 2005 as I bought an apartment in the complex. 75% of the complex is private apartments and the other 25% has been earmarked as a hotel and is owned by the builder. The builder is also renting out private apartments (mine included) on behalf of the owners. The apartments are of a very high quality and all have air, conditioning and cable TV as well as all the usual self catering amenities. The builders have contracts with 5 tour operators, in the UK you can view the complex and all it's amenities through the Balkan holidays website.
This is also the first complex in the resort that offers Self Catering, certainly to UK holidaymakers.
Go look for yourself on Balkan's website or do a Google search on the apartments.
I hope your alternative accommodation in 2005 did not put you off this excellent resort.
This complex is situated at the top of the hill and definitely unsuitable for holidaymakers with any degree of walking difficulties or small children - the Iglika apartments are far better situated.

I really think people ought to get a grip on reality re self catering in a resort such as Golden Sands.

No one lives there for heaven's sake, it is purpose built for foreign tourists. Hence there are NO shops to service proper self catering, no equivalent of the handy Spar shops one finds in Spain.

In the shops such as there are, you can get the makings of sandwiches, not real food as in meat and veg for proper meals.

These apartments are really a room sold without meal arrangements or other facilities, and don't expect even a kettle to be provided.

Caviat emptor - buyer beware!!

Pat & Peter
I feel you are being a bit mischevious here. Also how can you comment on the Paradise Green Park when you haven't stayed there.

They have a proper (5ft) fridge and separate freezer, a cooker, microwave, toaster and ... oh yes ... a kettle. As well as all the cutlery, pots, pans, glasses, cups, plates etc that you'll need. Add in the cable TV and air conditioning, as well as there being a separate bedroom and large dining kitchen (1 room is called a studio!), it is better than any self catering apartment that I've been in, in either Greece or Spain.

There are PLENTY of small supermarkets, there's even one in the complex for heaven's sake. Granted they aren't your Tesco express as at home but there is a very large Supermarket on the street parallel to the beach.

I'm not actively trying to sell this resort or the apartment, I'm just trying to give an honest view of the complex. It was me, 18 months ago, who warned people not to book this place as it was half built. I have no hidden agenda. If you want to put people off, qualify it with your opinion and try and keep them truthful.

People - go look for yourselves. Do your own research on the internet and don't let other people put you on or off a resort.

Enjoy
These apartments are fully described on the Balkan Holidays web site at -

one bed and two bed

No matter how good the kitchens are, the limitation is what is available in the mini-markets, even the 'large' one next to the International.

A lot depends upon what your expectations are in respect of the term 'self catering'. In our experience, in Golden Sands there are no butchers, bakeries, or greengrocers. There are a number of fruit stalls, with an excellent variety. Of course there are real food shops in Varna, but you might have difficulty finding them.

You can always buy a live sheep or chicken in the market, and they'll slaughter while you wait!! The nice rabbits in cages are not pets .... !

The supermarkets stock packaged bread, cereals, biscuits, tea coffee, milk sugar etc, and delicatessen type meats and cheese. Their main sales are of alcohol, toiletries and beach goods. Once (only once) found a tin of baked beans costing over £1, but still looking for bacon.

If your expectations are the makings of an English breakfast, or fish fingers and baked beans for the kids, you will be sadly disappointed.

Those who have tried self catering (including us) and expected to be able to do so, as in a country such as Spain, have found they have had to eat out, which has greatly added to holiday costs and defeated the objectives of going self catering.

We are great fans of Bulgaria, but are realists and don't want people to be disappointed because they didn't find what they expected.

Peter
Hi Peter,

but still looking for bacon

The only time that I have seen anything remotely resembling the British concept of bacon was bulk-packed in Metro in Varna.
I have some family members from Ireland staying at Paradise Green Park, Golden Sands for 7 nights from the 1st July 06.

BA are doing flights to Varna for £170 Return and I don't want to pay Balkan Holidays the £1000+ they have quoted for a one bed apartment.

I'd prefer to do a private rental at around £250 -£300, which appears to be the going rate but I just can't find anyone who is offering Paradise Green Park.

If you know where I can book this then please let me know.

Alternatively if you can suggest a hotel/apartment complex near to Paradise GP that would be really helpful

Thanks
Hi CLYDE,

After a lot of looking on the internet, probably in the same places you've visited, I just don't know how you can arrange a private rental at these apartments, to the cost of which you would have to add flights and transfers.

They are also out on a limb, at the top of section B on this MAP

I suspect that apartment rental in Golden sands is firmly in the hands of companies such as Balkan.

Good luck,

Peter
Hi Clyde

Can't help with the apartment but i've been looking for a hotel in Albena. Med hotels http://www.medhotels.com have some great deals. Checked Golden Sands and they are offering 3* Briz Hotel £150 HB for 2. Don't Know anything about the hotel or if it's near Paradise Green Park but worth checking out.
The Briz is on the same 'top' road as Paradise Green Park, and on the line between sections C & D on the map

Peter
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.