Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
We havent stayed in this hotel, but stayed across the road from it. They have bell boys who have the cage trolleys for taking the luggage in & out. It looks well upmarket.

Outside the entrance to it there is a restaraunt called Sante, the food/smoothies there are really good & the guy outside is lovely. He has a slight American accent as he was there for a couple of years, so his english is very good.

I have been 5 times & stayed in various hotels. All I will say is stay away from Continental 2*, Kristal (all of it) Pirin, Lulin, Bissel, genrally 2* hotels, go for 3 star.
You have young children, so the centre of the resort will be too loud for them to be able to sleep.
The Slavyanski, Amaris,Belle Vue,Globus are all nice hotels.

Dont change money in the kiosks, use banks or hotels. do not change money on the streets.
They say you can drink the water but you would be better off drinking bottled water, which is cheap anyway. The food is good but if you want cheese you will need to ask for yellow chese or you will get local cheese, which I think is feta cheese. Some places do childrens meals. There are also a couple of places that do pretty good english food. Some even do steak!!! Make sure that it is beef as they see steak as veal.
We have reviews of this hotel HERE
Just over 6 weeks to go and really looking forward to it.

Have a few questions:-

What really is the best option for currency? - I don't mind taking travellers cheques, cash or drawing out from banks.

As we have a return flight Sunday very early morning my wife has asked if there are any laundrettes close to Trakia Plaza.

Anyone know what the breakfast consists of, i don't mind waiting till lunch but the kids will need cerial and toast, is this available at the hotel.

Anywhere good for kids entertainment?

If anyone would like me to find anything out whilst I'm there let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Silko,

No reason to believe that breakfast at the Trakia Plaza will be different to what I would call the standard Bulgarian/Eastern European.

Nowadays there's a good choice of cereals, sausages and if you are lucky bacon, with eggs various. Very good and has got better over the years.

Money - we take clean unmarked Bank of England notes which we exchange at either the hotel reception or at proper banks. We think this is the best option.

Don't change on the street, or at kiosks - you'll get done.

Travellers cheques are expensive due to the commission rate, and you need to produce your passport which is better locked up in your safety deposit box.

ATMs carry the risk of card cloning, or being eaten or damaged, and you could be in one hell of a mess if the card you were relying upon ain't there on won't work. It can happen in the UK of course, but without the problems of getting a replacement card in a very bureaucratic country.

Up to you really, but remember Bulgaria is a cash based society where very few places accept credit cards.

Peter
We go in three weeks time and have had a letter from the tour operator Balkan to inform us that there are building works in the vicinity of our hotel.

Aparently the management are extending and building more apartments. We have contacted our travel agent who have looked into this and said that no building work was currently taking place and it was just the shell of the new appartments.

Does anybody have any idea of the building work taking place?

Also any advice on what to do if we are not satisfied when we arrive at the hotel?

Thanks.
Have a look at our Holiday Advice forum- it has some great info for everyone. The thread you would want is this one. You can also download the Safe and Sound booklet by clicking on the link at the bottom of my post.
went to this hotel end of june and loved it i booked through balkan and was hopeing to book for next year again .
the only thing is balkan has not got the contract no more for holidays to this hotel . Has anyone got any ideas were i could find this out
i would be looking for the holiday and flight as a package the way balkan done it from uk
thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.