Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
I think it could quite well be possible that the beach replenishment works have only recently been decided and First Choice notifed. It will often be outside of the hoteliers control when work is done as in many cases the local authorities will be responsible for the work rather than the hotelier. Beaches are often publically owned rather than prviately owned.

You mention that you don't want to look at alternative hotels - but what out come are you looking for from First Choice?

They may well offer you a refund if you are unhappy but this may not help your situation and you will be left to find an alternative holiday within a short time before you are due to go. I think you really need to think about what you want and then put those options to First Choice. If you do not think the alternative bus service to a nearby beach is going to work for you then perhaps look through their brochure an pick out an alternative and suggest to FC that you would like if possible to move there. Or perhaps state that you will accept the original holiday but reserve the right to request a move to an alternative hotel on the island of the same or a higher standard if when you get there if the work is more disruptive than you were expecting. Perhaps also suggest that as this is your honeymoon and this notification of the work comes at a very stressful time as you are planning your wedding, that they might like to offer you and your partner an upgrade on the outbound flight, or airport lounge access, or a free excursion in resort. Think about what you want and politely but it to them. You might come off better than you think!

Hope you find an outcome that you are happy with and that you have a great honeymoon.
Is the ICD A/I? because I have to admit that there is nothing quite like the freedom of wandering a few yards down to the beach with just costume, towel and book knowing that refreshments are a couple of steps away.
If you have to catch a bus to a local beach, you will have to take more care of your accoutrements and will also have to come back to the hotel for a quick coke or orange. You will not be able to leave your stuff unattended etc.
I know that the beaches are public, but we have been lucky in that the hotels have provided unobtrusive security and staff in the 2 hotels we stayed at, admittedly they were out in the sticks a bit.
We stayed at the IHD on the South of the DR last year and the Playa Pesquero in Cuba this year. Being beach people rather than pool people, I must admit that both holidays would have been much less enjoyable without the immediate beach access.

On the other hand I don't think the "pool people" even knew there was a beach at either hotel and so would not have been bothered by any beach closure.

Decide what you want, although you will have to bear in mind that without the beach there will be a lot more contention poolside, and then you will be prepared with arguments pro and con.

We went with FC but although they would be a great alternative I think the hotels we went to are different days and probably fully booked. I can't comment on any other hotels.

Good Luck and enjoy yourselves wherever you end up.
Why don't you give Ros Fernihough, Travel Law Solicitor a ring to we where you legally stand with this.

Her telephone number is 01922 621114

Kath HT Admin
If it's Costa Dorada then this might not be as bad as it sounds. Many of the hotels on the complex are not right on the beach so have a walk to get there or get a lift in a buggy or shuttle (nowhere is far from anywhere on Costa Dorada). It sounds like they have arranged to share the beach area with another hotel (the hotels even if they are not located on the beach have their own private areas - hotels have different coloured wrist bands so that staff know that you are in the right place or not). Also, I believe that all areas of the beach connected with hotels have beach bars, regardless of whether the hotel is situated right there or not.

I would ask for further details - specifically are you going to be using another hotel's beach area.

I know it's not what you booked, but this needn't be the huge problem that you think.
Hi all,

Many thanks for all your offerings :)

Kath HT admin,
Thanks for advising me to telephone Ros. I did so today and the office is closed till next Monday, (4 September 2006).
I will try to speak to Ros next Monday but I wouldn't mind betting that they will be very busy.
Anyway, no matter what advice I am given it will all be a bit too late because we are due to fly on the 11th.

It certainly looks like I will have to take the holiday/honeymoon, and bite the bullet.

Thanks to the other posters as well.
I will certainly try to enjoy my honeymoon but there will always be that nagging feeling that I am not getting the holiday that I paid for.

I am going to the Costa Dorada, in the North of the Dom Rep

poisondwarf
Have had a snoop on FC website to book this holiday and just before you get to book it there is now a note mentioning this work. It says that sand will be pumped from a ship a mile out to sea and there will be disruption to the beach whilst this is taking place. :cry:

IMO FC should have offered you the option to cancel this holiday or at least move you to an alternative hotel.

I would write to FC sending it recorded delivery stating that you are taking this holiday 'under duress and reserving the right to pursue the matter on your return should your holiday be marred in anyway by this beach restoration work'

Still telephone Ros on Monday she will be pleased to assist you and will be able to inform you of exactly what your rights are
I don't know if this helps but the Grand Ventana Beach in Playa Dorada is showing availability with FC for that date both from Gatwick and Manchester, there is no mention of beach disruptions when you get to the booking stage, could this be a suitable alternative?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.