Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
I've also been looking at this hotel. It has great reviews on http://www.tripadvisor.com
Hi chaffesbird - log onto http://www.iberostar-board.com for loads of info on the Lindo and its sister hotels.
Thanks. I have been on both Trip Advisor and Iberostar-board but most of the postings are from North Americans who rave about the burgers, hot dogs and american cuisine. I wanted comments from a British point of view so would welcome any advice etc. from Brits.
Hi Chaffesbird,

My partner and I are going to the Paraiso Lindo on Oct 23rd. We have stayed 3 times at the neighbouring Paraiso Del Mar and have had 3 fantastic holidays there. We decided this year that whilst we didn't want to risk having a less enjoyable holiday elsewhere we fancied a change so have booked for the Lindo. As a Lindo guest you can use all the facilities of the Del Mar and Paraiso Beach hotels including all their restaurants whereas guests at these hotels cant use the Lindo facilities at all. The grounds of all the properties are beautiful and immaculately kept. The rooms at all the hotels are excellent, though the Lindo/Maya rooms are larger with extras such as coffee makers. We have always found the food at the DM/Beach to be very good, both at the buffets and a la cartes. Last year we managed to eat at the Italian restaurant at the Lindo which was fantastic. Very much looking forward to sampling the other Lindo a la cartes this year! If you have any questions about the resort let me know and i'll try and answer them.
Cazz
Thanks Cazz,

can you prebook the a la cartes before you go?

Is there a limit to the number of a la cartes you can book?

Are any rooms near the beach?

Brenda
Brenda,

You can only book the a la cartes when you get there, but at the Lindo you can go to a la cartes every night if you so wish! The ones at the Lindo are Gourmet (over 12's only), Cajun, Oriental, Italian, Fondue and Steakhouse. Each block of rooms has a concierge whom you make the bookings with, I seem to recall you do that in the morning for that same evening.

With the Del Mar/Beach you get 3 visits for 7 night stays and 5 visits for 14 night stays. As a Lindo guest you can book the a la cartes at the DM/Beach, space permitting - my favourites are the Mexican and Japanese, though the Lindo has its own Japanese now.

Block 50 is nearest to the beach. I have a plan of the room blocks/information sheet I can mail to you so that you can mail the hotel nearer the time to request a particular block. I'm not sure if I can send an attachment with a PM so please feel free to PM me and let me know your email address!

Cazz
Thanks Cazz for all your help. The info was very helpful. Will request block 50 as we like to be by the beach
:thanks
Brenda
This is our most favourite place in the world :pele . The staff, surroundings, pool area, bars and restaurants are outstanding.

We've visited the Paraiso Del Mar/Beach twice and the Lindo once and although they were all equally beautiful we preferred the Lindo, because of the air-conditioned restaurants and bars.

It is wonderful to sit in gorgeous surroundings sipping a cocktail with flamingos, colourful fish, turtles, swans and even peacocks to look at.

The staff are extremely polite and helpful. We have never met such warm and kind people anywhere we've travelled in the world. Some of them still keep in touch with us by e-mail or MSN :wave .

The food is excellent and the drinks top notch. There are branded drinks at most of the bars/restaurants. Pool bars have local drinks but they are still good. They are generous in their measures and will gladly top it up if you want more alcohol :glynis . There is an excellent variety of food with something to please everyone.

We always tip and although it is not expected the staff greatly appreciate it as they are paid so poorly for working so hard .

We are returning there in April 2006 and cannot wait. Sorry to go on a bit but in my opinion it is pure paradise.

You will LOVE it. Enjoy :fly .

Junie
Can anyone who has stayed at this resort please let me know if, when the hotel states men must wear long trousers in the restaurants, they actually mean full length long trousers or if you could get away with smart 3/4 length pants? I can understand them not wanting shorts or even long Bermuda style shorts but how strict are they exactly....?!! Thanks.[/i]
Can anybody give me a rough idea of how much it would cost in a taxi from Lindo into Playa Del Carmen?

I think it was about 15 Dollars.
hi jojo
the ala carte restaurants i wore long trousers but on the normal evening buffet long shorts were ok
allthough some americans just seemed to wear anything- hey they were on vacation!

andy
hi kate
there is a free bus to playa carmen both ways
I desperately need some feedback from Europeans about this hotel!! I've already taken the plunge and booked for 2 weeks from 21st Jan 07 as the place looks and sounds (according to American reviews) fantastic. I'm a little concerned now however as I've just read a highly amusing but rather disturbing review of the Lindo's guests by a UK resident on Trip Advisor!! By all accounts the bulk of the US guests were horrendous! I know there are culture differences but are they really that bad?!! Or was it more than likely worse because it was a holiday in April during "Spring Break" with all its associated mayhem?! Can anyone who has been in january give me some words of reassurance.......?!!!!! :lol:
We currently only have one review for this hotel HERE.
If anyone can assist by posting a review, please do so via the link above.

Thanks.

Pippy :D
I too read the recent amusing Lindo report on Tripadvisor from the UK visitor. It is fair to say the Americans can be somewhat 'loud' but they are just enjoying themselves and it shows! We have witnessed them having fun around the pools/bars at the Paraiso hotels and have never had any problems such as those reported on TA. Certainly nothing that would spoil my holiday. I have witnessed far far worse behaviour by Brits abroad in very expensive hotels. I have seen the occasional 'bad' behaviour by kids here but it is certainly not exclusive to the Americans! I imagine a lot of the problems this reviewer mentioned were caused by it being 'Spring Break'. Many US families book their teens in as adults so that they get adult AI wristbands. I think you will have a fantastic time in January ... just look forward to it. Cazz
Thanks Cazz! I think it was the thought of kids running over my breakfast table that alarmed me more than anything! I was hoping January would be outside the bulk of the school holidays!
8)
Does anyone know where I can book to stay at this hotel other than First Choice/Thomas Cook - as they are too expensive, I have also looked at Iberostars web site, is there anywhere else I can check?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.