Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Ice in drinks.
17 Posts
i was there last week and had ice all the time no probs with stomache cramps.
Don't know about other resorts but in Icmeler, they buy the ice in bags already in cubes and its from bottled water.
Most places use the bagged ice cubes, some dont, Best thing to do is ask to see the bag, No bag means no bottled water ice cubes, All the bags are purchased from a factory in Marmaris.
I think its more than their lives are worth in all the resort areas to risk making people ill with ice cubes made from tap water these days. I think you would be very unlucky to get given ice cubs made from tap water.
I think they have bagged ice cubes everywhere now so don't worry.
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Someone i know was ill for three days after ordering water in a restaurant and been given a bottle that had been refilled by tap, then the cap put back on. Anyone heard of this happening?

J.
Never heard of anything like that before. Just out of curiosity- how did they find out that had happened?
Apparently some places have a device to recap bottles they were told and it is a regular occurance.

By illimination they knew where she had become ill and the water was the only thing that could have caused it as she was the only one that ordered water.
hey, well i have to say i worked in couple restaurants in marmaris last year and my hubby worked couple places too and they always bought their ice in bags and it was delivered to them, easier and saved hassle, the bag only cost about 2 lira lol!also, the places both me n hubby worked, well we had big bottled waters with pumps on it,again these were delivered and only cost about 15 lira so not dear either, we used to fill empty bottles but with this pump water and refridgerate lol!so im 99% sure you will be safe!x
Watch yourself at the Market for bottled tapped water also, They are renowned for doing this, Dont accept the bottle before looking at the seal, Very often they make you believe they just broke the seal and most people fall for that trick also.
you can drink the tap water in turkey. in fact you drink some it when you brush your teeth i bet - except for the folks with dentures who soak them instead overnight.

the tap water in turkey is perfectly safe to drink, in western turkey anyway. the only thing is the high mineral content can upset some people's stomachs. i drink the tap water out there and it dont harm me. in fethiye they have a new water system and all the properties get nice fresh drinking water in their taps. they can also go and collect it free of charge if they don't have water pipes to their villas.

nothing wrong with tap water in west turkey, it won't kill you.
The ice is definitely bought around Gumbet, we see the ice van around there all the time. I wouldn't worry too much, I've visited Turkey 9 times and not had an upset stomach once!
Groovybaby is right, the water is actually ok to drink in Turkey, although I never used to drink it when I lived there as it didn't taste very nice. I think the mineral content is higher than we are used to that is all.
i drink it but the wife said it has affected me brain :rofl
The ice is bought in ,but all the salad ingredients and the fruit are washed with tap water ,it wont do you one bit of harm ,as has been said before it has a higher mineral content .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.