Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
What Drinks
14 Posts
Hi geovil

I'm not really a drinker so can't help you as much as some of the others could but here is a link with a little about drinks in tunisia and i'm sure someone will be along shortly to post something of more use.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=137698
There is quite a lot of information on Tunisian drinks on here, in fact I and several others have posted on the subject, but here goes once again: Most beer is the locally produced Celtia, a kind of lager, about TDN 2 - 2.5 and there is a non-alcoholic version as well which is sold in some of the cafés and bars. Tunisian wines are quite drinkable, red, white and rosé: my own favourite is the relatively expensive red Magon, or Vieux Magon, which is approximately TDN 14/16 a bottle in restaurants and bars but considerably cheaper in the supermarket. Most of the British find the local whisky/gin etc pretty unpalateable and imported ones are very expensive. Tunisian specialities are Thibarine and Boukha, based on figs and an acquired taste. Cedratine is a liqueur based on lemons, 40% proof, and I always bring back a couple of bottles. Diet Coke is known as Coke Light.
Hi, we are going AI to Tunisia at Easter. Can anyone recommend any local drinks that are worth drinking? Will try anything once. Its a long time since I went. I do remember Tiberine and another drink, one of which wasn't too bad with coke. My usual drinks are G&T or Rum and Coke. Any info on local gin and rum please?

I have merged this post with an existing topic that provides plenty of good info.
Just back and the Gin in our hotel (Abou Sofiane) was really pleasant and I felt obliged to try several just to confirm the consistency of the quality ;) on the other hand I thought the Rum was a bit unpleasant however a couple of our friends drank it and didn't seem to mind :que

The other drink you are thinking of will be Cedratine which is mentioned above, this is lovely and I managed to get one of our friends to try it and she was hooked :cheers
I tried the local gin at the Kaiser last time and it was very pleasant indeed but I've never been very keen on rum. I think the other drink BrenLiz may have been thinking about was Boukha, a fig brandy - Thibarine is supposedly based on dates with varous herbs and I can't stand either of them. The fact that the locals always like to be given a bottle of whisky (Scotch or Irish) would indicate that even they aren't keen on their own version!! :rofl
We tried Bhouka with coke which tasted quite nice but drink in moderation we realised too late what it is made from needless to say we spent quite a lot of time in the toilet.
Geovil
Thanks for all your advice everyone, yes it was the Bhouka I couldn't remember the name of. Will try the lemony one though.
Yes, you must try the Cedratine BrenLiz. Thanks for reminding me - I've just poured myself a glass!
Things might have changed a bit now however when mum and I went to Port El Kantoui 5 years ago, we didn't find that there was much selection of drinks while we were out and about. The hotel was fine, and had most things. They are a very religious country apparently and some actually frown on alcohol. When we walked into the cafe/bars the waiters used to say hello, tea/coffe/beer/juice and that was it. :rofl
It depends a bit on where you go. Most tourist hotels will have a bar that sells a reasonable variety of alcohol, although some of the smaller, family owned ones, such as the Romane in Hammamet don't. Likewise with restaurants - the local style, as opposed to tourist restaurants don't sell alcohol (this shouldn't put you off though, they're very cheap and often have excellent food). Most tourist restaurants do. One exception that comes to mind (again in Hammamet) is Cascades which used to have a fairly extensive drinks menu, but last year chose to stop selling all alcohol. Still, in any of the tourist resorts it shouldn't be too hard to track down a reasonable drink! :cheers

A. :cheers
Thanks for all your replies. As we are AI we will probably do most of our drinking in the hotel and if we are out and about during the day we usually drink beer but will definately try the lemony drink.
is it worth picking up a bottle of spirits in duty free before we live the Uk for our apartment? Prices are usually pretty cheap for spirits when you are flying to a non - Eu. However the OH thinks we should wait until we are there and see what weird and wonderful alcohol we can find in a shop......me I think buying in Glasgow is best.
It's certainly worth picking up spirits in Duty Free, either to drink on your balcony, to give as a tip to certain members of staff or to sell to other guests, as imported spirits are expensive in Tunisia. You will often be asked by locals if you have any whisky. and although the days of being able to get a leather coat for a bottle are long gone (if indeed they ever existed) a bottle will frequently oil the wheels towards a room upgrade etc.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.