Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
If you want a beach resort with history close by, then the nearest you will get to that will be Alexandria - where all the Egyptians go for their hols.

However, it's not really a holiday resort - but is only a short distance from Cairo by train. (Around 90 mins)

Hurghada to Luxor is probably the closest to visit the Valley of the Kings (Tutenkhamuns tomb - no 62) around 3hrs by road, cruises along the Nile to see Denderah temple and the city of Luxor itself has it's own temple immediately opposite Macdonalds.

As an example the distance from Luxor to Cairo is approx 720kms and takes around 10hrs by overnight train.

Hurghada to Luxor is approx 240kms by road.

We've done Luxor to Hurghada before by road for an overnight stay and snorkelling at Gifton Island and also the overnight train on several occasions from Luxor to Cairo.

Unfortunately, I am of the opinion that you haven't been to the "real" Egypt unless you've stayed in Luxor, Cairo or Aswan - but it is possible to travel quite easily when you are there.

CwB
Bit of a tall order to be honest, beach close to historical sites with kids 5/6 years old. We like El GOUna which you can travel to from Glasgow via Globespan to Hurghada airport, a mix of lagoon beaches and sea beaches too. Nice safe resort, totally hassle free, unlike anywhere else in Egypt. Not much regarding historical sites though. You are talking Cairo/Luxor for that and dont think they would be great places for 5/6 year olds to be honest. We have stayed in Luxor with a young teenager before, which was great, and did a cruise on the nile too but she had a strong interest in all the sites and old enough to appreciate them.

Difficult one!
I think with children that age you might be better off just going to one of the Red Sea resorts like Sharm, Hurgharda, El Gouna etc Lots of the hotels have excellent facilities for children in terms of multipule pools, slides, buffet restaurants where they can choose what food suits them, some have playgrounds and kids clubs. Visiting the sites from the red sea is a bit like staying in London to visit Hadrians Wall.

There are trips laid on by companys in Sharm etc though if you are really keen, there are also local trips - water parks, dinner in the desert, camel rides and boat trips.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.