Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
also do you know what amount of your pacage holiday goes to the hotels it would shock you ,the only people getting rich are the uk travel companies, most turkish buisnesses are honest and just doing what they need to survive
you will always find some-one doing things for less than cost as a lost leader only to be made on something else
maverick57uk wrote:
the only people getting rich are the uk travel companies,

The main 'UK' travel company that most folk here use is German and called TUI so I think you will find it is the Germans getting rich at your expense not us. I though Turks liked British tourists.
I know for a fact that one particular Hotel/Appartment very very popular in Icmeler get only £3 per night for a room/s for up to 4 people, This is the price agreed at the start of each season again a contract even if the rooms are not filled to capacity the travel company still pays the £3 per night and the owners cannot fill the empty rooms, It's like this if the tour operators pulled out of Turkey Not many hoteliers would still be in Business, In business the big guys normally eat up the smaller guys purely and simply as they can cut costs that little bit better this happens everywhere in the world so why should Turkey be different, People in Business are entitled to make as much money as is possible big or small.
You can see that for yourself, if you try book diy, prices of flights are wild but accommodation very reasonable.

Anna.
Anna Flights are reasonable also for anyone doing Diy, As long as you book them on the day they are released from the Airline, But if you miss that I agree they are very very expensive.
At the end of the day they all have to try and make a living with this issue, The bigger you are the more chance you have of survival, Every business is cut throat so why should Turkey be any different?
alot of property owners are already taking bookings for next year it all makes sense really helps keep the costs down :tup
you don't have to go up dark alleys to get a reasonably priced meal. The nostalji opposite hotel guldal near point centre does a 5 course including first drink for 19 lira, any starter any main course and the food is excellent. its 2.5 lira for a beer, and between 7pm and 10pm you can have two turkish vodkas for 6 lira or 2 imported drinks for 7 lira.
yes but thats still £40 for the 4 of us ,before we even order our second drink
just to put all that into perspective and i know alot of you are not fans of allinclusive but our kids are so till they are grown its the way its going to be.

friends of ours went to turkey the same time as us in august but they went for one week.
They paid £1300 for their apartment and spent a further £1250

we went allincusive and our package cost £2300
forgot to say... we went for 2 weeks
We returned from two weeks in Marmaris on Thursday & my opinion is that it is DEFINATELY more expensive out this year. This was our forth visit since 2004, so I think we have a reasonable take, on the rising prices.

2 adults & 3 children (7,10 & 12) eating out each night ranged from 38YTL (Burger King) to 120 YTL (a nice chinese buffet).At the £1.00-2.16YTL exchange rate that we got, that is around £17-55.00. By my reckoning that makes them both pretty much the same price as similar places in the UK. Eating out in Turkey used to be miles cheaper than the UK.

Yes, there are loads of places offering 5 courses for 17 YTL etc. but who wants a soup starter when it's still 35 degrees at 7pm & one course is always a thimble size cup of Turkish/apple tea.We generally had the Turkish Lavas bread for starter, then each had a main course of pasta/chicken/curry etc & then a couple of us may have had a desert, depending how hungry people were. We also all had a couple of soft drinks during the meals. In previous years the same type of meal was AT LEAST 15-20% less.

I've seen the 'Turkish price' discussion raging on various holiday forums this summer & we went out with an open mind, but IMO there is no two ways about it....prices have risen significantly & the drop from 2.50-2.35YTL to the £, that we enjoyed on previous holidays to the 2.16YTL that we got this year, makes it an unwelcome double whammy.

We went to a well known stake house on our first night & looked at each other thinking......"This is going to be far more expensive than previous holidays!"

Luckily for us, we went DIY for the first time this year & saved hundreds on a package price, but we just ended up spending the savings over there anyway. After stumbling accross Turkey by accident in 2004, we have enjoyed 4 holidays over there, because of the guaranteed great weather & great value for money. We may well be back next year, but for the first time since 2004, we will certainly look at other destinations as well, to compare the whole package.
The low exchange rate is having a big impact this year,Turkey is not as cheap as it used to be also,but prices are going up everywhere!!my local chinese restaurant have just put up a fillet steak by £3 to £16!!,for £10 I can get a 4 course meal with a bigger steak cooked to perfection in Turkey,most of the time with a free first drink and a complimentary plate of fruit,excellent service and entertainment afterwards,what more could one ask for on holiday,Ive no complaints!!!.
I think a lot of the problem here is that we old turkey vets who have been going for years still remember when we went to turkey and could not spend our money it was so cheap ,unforunately these days are gone ,Everywhere is getting dearer ,i know two couples who have been to turkey and spain for the first time this year and they are all of the same opinion that turkey is miles cheaper than spain.

Bluepeterno1
It would not matter to me how bad the rate got, we had the good times now it is leveling out, its still the best place to go in my opion i love it.
I'm taking off in 4 hours time and will still have a great time,
How can you put a value on so much history and and culture and the frienship avalible in this country.
:sun2 :cheers
one particular Hotel/Appartment very very popular in Icmeler get only £3 per night for a room/s for up to 4 people,

this all sounds really good until the fine print comes along..I cannot comment 100% but I have heard that yes you can get a room this cheap however EVERYTHING is at an extra cost...breakfast..aircon...safe...towels...etc etc..so in the end you might be paying the cost for a normal room....I wonder if toliet paper is extra too ??? :rofl

And yes the falling drop of the exchange rates of the foreign currencies certainlly do not help in the war against prices..but the locals cannot be blamed for that...I know personally I would rather see the euro or the GBP higher in the exchange rates...then there would not be any or fewer price increases..

how does this sound for an average evening meal..

17.50 TRY = 7.96487 GBP per person....???? so about 8 GBP...I would not call this expensive..and the average..

soup, followed by four to five appetizer/vegetable dishes, followed by the main course of various grilled kebab's or fish, depending on the night, then dessert of fruit or sweets.

and I occasionally take my own kids to Burger king here in Antalya we usually pay about 8-9 liras per meal..so for us as a family of four...about 32 - 36 liras...but that is McD's...an not local turkish cusine..

as for accomodations....

a quad room for a family of 4 with breakfast and dinners included..for a week - about 625 GBP ( half board )

a quad room for a family of 4 with breakfast and dinners included..for 2 weeks - about 1250 GBP ( half board )

but drinks extra...I know that all-inclusive is popular with the families due to the amount that kids ( and adults ) might want to drink...but 5 liras for an Efes bottle of beer ( 50CC ) or 2.5 liras for a can of coke is not un-reasonable..sold by the bottle or can not by glass...

just my two penny's worth...for the day... :wave:
lol the toilet roll is extra in the club alize!!! pmsl!!! So we always pack our own!

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Love Nikki xx
Thats a bit of a bummer Nikkie :rofl :rofl :rofl

Have a good one maverick ,exactly the way i feel about it :tup :wave:

Bluepeterno1
Teehee!!! You get one roll at the beginning of your hols and then have to buy it... but it's mega expensive in the hotel shop and it's too bulky to carry from Migros.... we originally got the tip from this fab website and have taken our own ever since!!!

pmsl!!! :rofl :rofl :rofl

Love Nikki xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.