Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
prices
24 Posts
Jet airways were doing return flights to Goa from Heathrow for £549 earier this week but have just checked travelsupermarket and they are now £645, only a few pounds off the normal price, that is if air fares ever have a normal price also look at Turkish airways flights to Mumbai just after Christmas from £417 from London and £428 from Manchester

You have to check the sites every few days and be ready to book when a good price comes up
My flight jumped £70, thankfully in the right directions, so yes, just keep your eyes and check frequently with different sources and directly as prices do vary and also check different days of the week (to fly) as some airlines only travel specific days :)
Here are some prices which might interest you... (Non flight)

http://www.poipleshadow.com/Cost-of-Living-in-Goa-India

http://www.poipleshadow.com/Cost-of-Living-in-Goa-India-Big-Banana

and

http://www.poipleshadow.com/Cost-of-Living-in-Goa-India-Why-Not-Tashis

Just got them finished 10 minutes ago, so please have a look and let me know if there's any mistakes....

*updated to link to latest versions
Cannot believe how much effort you have put into that. Thanks so much.

In some cases truly shocking just how much prices have gone up in Goa in others it shows how much Goa is such good value.

Members on here will pore over those prices.

I have to say if Big Banana is a yardstick of shack prices and in my experience from the last few years i have no reason to doubt it is then the beach is no cheaper to eat and drink than the hotels or restaurants.

Again thanks so much for posting those links. I have no doubt it will provoke much debate over the coming days.
Papa,

Thanks you like the lists, I am hoping to do more, I have just been into Mapusa to check a few prices, so will try and update those tomorrow.

Prices do keep rising, and yes shocking. I am very economical with my money, its simple things like the 1rs sachets of shampoo as SO much cheaper than bottle of shampoo, also small packs of Nescafe (7g) are again, much better value than the big boxes (also stays fresher too!), also small packs of toothpaste cheaper (for the quantity) the list goes on, so don't just go for the ones that say 15% free etc as it isn't always the cheapest!!! I have been buying things for charity for years so I always hunt for the best deal.

Big Banana's Steak burger and chips is good value, you get a good portion of steak and it's delicious (the best chips I've had in Goa!), but somethings are more pricey, but in line with most places. There are some restaurants that are much more.

If there are any places you want adding to the list, I will try and get the menus done (really just an excuse to go and eat somewhere new :), although do remember many places are shut for the monsoon.
thanks for taking the time to publish those prices,it will be read very often ,im sure,regards les
Lots of good info there thanks,
GOOD LUCK with your new charity venture.
I and I am sure many regulars will try to do a bit to help.
Hi Les and Des....

Glad you both like, I have just put up another one for

Navtara in Mapusa, Pure Veg Restuarant

http://www.poipleshadow.com/Cost-of-Living-in-Goa-India-Navtara

Will try and do some more... :)
*updated to link to latest version
Hi... I have just seen on the net that the exchange rate is above 90 Rs, just wish I had some money so I could get some out now.... So if you're still in Goa then get along to the bank while the going is good.
poipleshadow wrote:
Hi Les and Des....

Glad you both like, I have just put up another one for

Navtara in Mapusa, Pure Veg Restuarant

http://www.poipleshadow.com/Cost-of-Living-in-Goa-India-Navtara.htm

Will try and do some more... :)

Hi Rob

Have you heard that Navtara have opened a massive new restaurant in Calangute?

About time too!

Almost unbelievably they have taken over the Hari Om gift shop on the right, heading from Calangute temple towards Candolim, :tup
on the net I can supposedly get rps in the UK for 83.
Hi Botany Bay, No I didn't know about Navtara in Calangute... THanks for the info... Rupee Exchange went about 91, but has settle back to 90.77 at the moment... (Still need to get to the bank and get some out!)
Good news about the Navtara arriving in Calangute! Trouble is my old favourite for many years, The Plantain Leaf, is getting left behind. It used to be packed out with a great "buzz" but it feels a bit dreary and dated now - and the prices have increased.

We used the Krishna veg restaurant quite a bit last year and that was excellent and cheap - it's opposite the Sportsman's pub.

Thanks for the price comparisons, Rob. Very interesting. I think one or two of the UK prices are a bit out! Monthly rent for 2 bedrooms £150? I'm also filling up at the wrong petrol stations if fuel is 75p per litre!

It's the Goan prices that interest me the most, though and thanks for sharing them.
roma wrote:
Good news about the Navtara arriving in Calangute! Trouble is my old favourite for many years, The Plantain Leaf, is getting left behind. It used to be packed out with a great "buzz" but it feels a bit dreary and dated now - and the prices have increased.

We used the Krishna veg restaurant quite a bit last year and that was excellent and cheap - it's opposite the Sportsman's pub.

Thanks for the price comparisons, Rob. Very interesting. I think one or two of the UK prices are a bit out! Monthly rent for 2 bedrooms £150? I'm also filling up at the wrong petrol stations if fuel is 75p per litre!

It's the Goan prices that interest me the most, though and thanks for sharing them.

Those are the equivalent prices in £Sterling, not what it costs in the UK.

They are not price comparisons, simply a list of prices in Goa. :rofl
Oh Roma.... :) I have updated the whole site today (hopefully it's all working), it should work better on mobile phones and tablets now, also a few new bits of content so do check it out,
Another establishment has been added to the list.... For those who like visiting Mapusa Market, there's a great place close by called The Pub, it overlooks one end of the market, I have added their menu here

http://www.poipleshadow.com/Cost-of-Living-in-Goa-India-The-Pub-Mapusa

I haven't included the beer menu as I need to go back and check as I couldn't read the list I made (doh!) Hopefully get back soon,

*updated to link to latest version
I have added Menu's from infantaria (Calangute) and Ruchira (In Mapusa over looking the bus station (sort of), at the top of Satyaheera hotel). Let me know if you like them or not. These two are VERY VERY long and took ages, let me know if there's any obvious mistakes. Also I have kept most spellings as they were on the menu (or at least that's the story I'm sticking to if you see any funny typos :) )
Infantaria and Whynot plainly aiming for different markets.

Fascinating stuff.

Again many thanks for posting

Papa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.