Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
is this airport as bad as we;ve heard " taking hrs to get through " and tied up with red tape. Any impressions / comments appreciated. As you can maybe guess this is our first time into Goa
getting better all the time - you should get through quickly but might wait a while for baggage - as long as 2 flights don`t arrive at the same time it`s usually ok. :P
Dabolim is without doubt THE worst airport I have ever been through. It is worth it in my opinion and like BAM said it is getting better. One of the problems is that it is a military airport, another problem is that India seems to love "red tape". Don't let it put you off.
Dont miss anything out on the embarcation forms you will get on your flight - this will slow you down.Also keep the tear off strip for your return.On your return you have to have i.d tags on each item you check in or hand luggage which will be stamped as you are checking in ,you pick these up at the airport (normally found on check-in desk) so just go to front and help yourself if there is a queue.
As for the worst airport......more annoying if anything (around 8 check points to go through),getting in seems to be better each year,5 mins last time for us but then getting your luggage is fun !! - enjoy,Spike.
Yes still a lot of red tape but seems to have speeded up over the last 2 years, especially on arrival. Mind, still expecting them to stamp me on the forehead one year and throw me in the hold of the plane!

Oh by the way Dabolim airport is a picnic compared to Corfu - the worst ever, anywhere!
I think the processing of immigration forms and collection of luggage depends on what time of day you arrive and how many flights have landed.

Last year we arrived at approx 8 am. With immigration and collection of luggage, we were at our taxi within 40 minutes if that.

I still do not think it is funny that they do not tell you which carousel your luggage is going to appear on. Both may be going and your party has to split up to keep an eye on both of the carousels.
we arrive at approx 15.30 ( goa time ) our flight is 00.30 from Manchester. Hopefully we shall get through without any problems / delays. Carol and I thank everyone for all the info given to us. Can't wait until the 20th March.
Ditto all the previous comments, last week we came scheduled and was looking foreward to a easier passage through Munbai airport, no such luck, Although our bags were checked right through to Goa from Heathrow we still had to collect them on arrival at Munbai, go throughn immigration and customs then take the bags and put them through a luggage scanner, then go up to the Jet Airways desk to hand them in again, this was followed by a twenty minute wait for the complimentary transfer bus to the domestic section. Time from touchdown to arriving at the domestic terminal 2 hours!!!! So Dadolim is'int as bad as all that. Alan
Agree with everybody that it's getting better every year. When leaving Goa a good idea is to find the cafe. After checking in, most people go on through immigration (or is it emigration?!) and into the departurture lounge.
Behind the queues for checking in there's a passage that leads to a really comfy little cafe with good, but expensive (by Goan standards) food. It's great to spend an hour or so there in comfort and then wander round to the departure lounge where you won't have to wait too long to get away.
Thanks for that Roma.

I didn't know the cafe was there.

To be honest, my other half likes to get checked in and go through the security checks etc as you never know just how long it will take to get through to the departure lounge.

I find that as it takes so long to go through, I am desperate to use the ladies and that means another long wait in another long queue.
Know what you mean but if you sit in the cafe for an hour or so, all the queues have gone and it takes aout 5 minutes to do all the forms, stamping, searching etc.!
I am having my two week holiday in Goa in March.

I am returning on an early flight, take off at 7 am, does anyone know whether we have to wait for the x-ray machine to be switched on.

I remember twice in the past when we have had an early flight, we have got to the airport with all the other charter passengers and have had to wait about hour as the xray machine had not been switched on. Is this still the case?
We were on that flight in November and arrived at the airport at 4.45am and the place was up and running as the police are opening it much earlier to cope with the earlier flights. They will not however let anyone in until the xray machines are in operation Alan
Having just returned from Goa yesterday the entry ans exit has improved enormously in the last 3 years. You must have signed your immigration form in 3 places (common mistake to miss one) and keep your sense of humour. Only 5 stamps on boarding card and hand luggage this year and the last security check from departures is not searching all bags, just a few randomly chosen

Luggage men at airport a nightmare but a clear and assertive no money or no help required does seem to work.

The cafe that has been referred to does look okay but I was keen to unpack and hit the beach shacks
Hi Johnsq22
I will be on that flight for my 7th trip to Goa.I think you will love it when you get there.Just forget about the airport,things have improved over the past few years
Hey Taffy - you're dead right! The cafe is for going home only! Nobody in their right mind would sit in an airport cafe when a shack and a beer are only an hour away!
Hi all, can i ask a quick question regarding the forms u have to fill in on board the flight to Goa. Last time i went i cant remember if i had to sign for my child because hes only a toddler. Im sure they cant expect a child to sign? Also how much does the airport charge you for too much luggage?
Thanks
Yummy, the excess baggage is quite expensive. I think it's about £ 2.50 per kilo but might be even more than that. I'm not sure they'll allow you to take a child as excess baggage though :rofl

The other problem is the dubious accuracy of the scales at the airport.

As for speeding up the airport section then I know someone that used to put a leg brace on as they left a plane so they got wheel chaired through. Kind of embarrassing if you're caught out and there is a moral aspect to consider but I guess it would still work.

The porters will gladly get your bags from the carousel for you and carry them all the way to your taxi. We give them quite a big tip (in Indian terms) for this. Usually £ 2 to £ 3 which we consider money well spent.

As for coming home, if you take the upgrade there is a dedicated check in for this on the left as you enter the terminal building. Most people don;t realise this and join the huge queue that runs from the desks back down the airport entry ramp.
Hi
We went to Goa (for the 5th time since our first visit in 1994) in February 2005.

When we got through immigration, we found that an Indian chap had taken our suitcases off the carousel and was waiting with his hand out for money.
Being used to the porters taking control of our luggage trolley, my hubby gave him the usual £1 coin and he promptly pocketed it and walked off, leaving our cases in situ on the floor.

Now, we don't mind giving the porters a bit of a tip as they take our cases to the coaches BUT we will NOT be falling for this one again!
It will be 'NO! NO! NO! THANK YOU BUT NO!' all the way to the coach.

Is this a common practice at Dabolim nowadays?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.