UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Ireland newbies
25 Posts
Before I read this I'd just been talking to a neighbour who has been going to Irleand (fishing) for years and something cropped up which he wasn't aware of so you might not be. You need proper European travel insurance (and EHIC cards) for the Republic - it had never occured to him that the NHS doesn't cover there!

The main tourist website is http://www.visitireland.com but be warned, it can be expensive.

As for ferries, as well as the long standing http://www.stenaline.com routes from Holyhead or Fishguard and http://www.IrishFerries.com from Holyhead or Pembroke there are a couple of routes which people overlook.

http://www.norfolkline.com do Liverpool- Dublin. It's a 7 hour crossing and they do night sailings which may help break the journey up if you have a long drive at either side.

the old Swansea- Cork route was restarted a couple of weeks ago by a new company http://www.fastnetline.com - they are still trying to drum up business so you might get a decent price if the M4 is convenient for you.
Thanks for the info Steve

As we're in south London, a journey to Swansea and the M4, wouldn't be classified as especially convenient!

We'll keep looking.
I too am looking at how to get to Ireland reasonably this summer in terms of time of journey and cost - and it's a bit more of a hassle from eastern France than south London!!!

At the moment my least favourite airline have no-tax payable flights to Dublin from London Stansted and maybe also from Gatwick. That said check Gatwick for Aer Lingus and Easyjet ... and bite the bullet of having to pay for 'excess' baggage in advance.

Car hire is more expensive over there it seems to me .... so if any other member can suggest an honest car hire company operating from Dublin Airport in addition to the majors - probably a local one - I'd be glad to hear of it and its website.
Car hire is more expensive over there it seems to me .... so if any other member can suggest an honest car hire company operating from Dublin Airport in addition to the majors - probably a local one - I'd be glad to hear of it and its website.

It may be worth taking a look at Dooley Car Rentals. Perhaps also the rental broker Economy Car Hire, which uses Budget at Dublin Airport, but usually at prices lower than booking direct with Budget. If you find either one of them of interest, I may have promo codes which would give you a further 5% or 10% discount.

David :wave
Alsacienne

If you are considering using two airlines to get there don't forget Swiss still have reasonable prices on their limited service from Basel to Manchester and there are loads of Irish flights from there. Not only Aer Lingus and the one-we-won't-mention but also http://www.aerarann.com/ .
I went to Ireland in January and I loved it :) We took the ferry (with Irish ferries) from Wales (Pembroke dock - the most boring place in the whole planet as got there a bit too early and had to wait 8 hours or so in the car as the terminal was not open and most places in Pembroke shut early, but anyway) to Rosslare, and drove down to Dungervan where we had booked a cottage there. The ferry and the price of the cottage was combined so it worked out quite cheaply as to do them seperately would work out more expensive). If you don't want to fly, you really do have to travel to Wales or likewise for obvious reasons. We used Imagine Ireland to book our cottage etc.

Where I really liked visting in Ireland was Cork, I'm not really a city person (tend to prefer smaller towns), but I really did enjoy Cork and spent most of a day there. There is also the Blarney (can't spell today), castle, which I didn't manage to get too this trip, but perhaps next time (yes already saving for it). I also liked Cobh which is near Cork, and it's a lovely little town, one of the last places the Titanic stopped at, and I spent a couple of hours at the visitor centre there (and being January, we where the only two people in there, my father and I), as it was very interesting. I also liked Kilkenny as that's a nice little town to visit with a castle that I can't quite remember the name off :que

The scenery in Ireland is breathtaking, we made sure we visited Hook head and the lighthouse there and it's quite worth a visit, took about 200 photos of that alone! :really

I didn't really find Ireland as expensive as I was expecting and disesel is cheaper over there for example :)
HTH
C
Thanks Steve and Tarry! We are still very much at the planning stages, with the possibility of visiting friends in Wales en route to Pembroke, but ALL information is much appreciated! And certainly I'd overlooked the possibility of transiting via Manchester! Thanks for the ideas!

(Oh and thanks too to you David for the details of local car hire companies - it's all getting noted for future action.) :wave:
You will not regret it when you go, like I said, I loved it :D I started thinking about going November 2008 and finally went January 2010, and loved every moment of it (although some times it was very interesting :rofl ).

I hope to visit on a different month next time though as new manager might be more willing to let me have time off, although I wouldn't go peak times due to cost and being rather busy, but that's just me, but anyway :)
Can I make a pitch for our own, dear, old Northern Ireland, particularly our north coast, including the Giants Causeway, and Bushmills Distillery, and the particularly beautiful Fermanagh Lakelands.. lots of cheap flights to Belfast from all the major UK airports. Our jiving again city is also worth a weekend break... now one of the most popular stag/hen destinations (but don't let that put you off)
Tourist Board website is:

http://www.discovernorthernireland.com
I can second your recommendations for Northern Ireland - Bushmills, the Giant's Causeway, Portrush - having been there on a school exchange, and would add to the mix the Irish-American Folk Museum, the Transport Museum at Cultra and Belfast as places that should be seen too.
Returning to the subject of car hire, there are now unfortunately warnings coming from the Irish rental industry of potential vehicle shortages on a scale similar to last year. You may remember that holidaymakers in many parts of Europe, most notably Spain, were finding it difficult or impossible to hire a car during peak season. A repetition of these availability problems is anticipated in Ireland over the Easter holiday period, with predictions of a worsening situation during the summer months.

David :wave
musicman,
I realise from your post that a coach holiday is most likely not for you, but can I suggest you get a few brochures for tours and from the descriptions of the tours and the excursions offered, the brochures may help you decide where and what places to visit depending on your own likes and interests.

Helen
mourne mountains also lovely, ulster fry u must try. xphx
I'm going again in October and I'm going to Tipparary, getting ideas about what I'm doing again, taking the van and staying in a cottage.
I'm off to Spiddal in Galway for Christmas.
It's a lovely part of Ireland, but I suppose I'm biased as my Dad was born there. :que
I'm now off to Dundrum, Cashel, Tippeary in October, can't wait :D I wanted to go October and here I am doing it :tup
I've just spent four lovely days visiting Co Wexford. Although the weather was not up to much, when the sun shone and we could actually see the scenery, it was breathtaking! We stayed in a b and b in Courtown which is a lovely little seaside village, just exactly right for families with small children. From there we explored Cahore Harbour and beach and watched children catching crabs and having crab races down the slip! We then went down to the Hook lighthouse and surrounding areas, and like Tarry took loads of photos. That night we stayed, again b and b, in Killiane Castle, just outside Wexford Town, which is ideally placed for anyone catching the Rosslare/Pembroke ferry. The breakfast was absolutely fantastic! There is a walk around the castle grounds, and you can watch the cows being milked if you get up early enough! There is also a driving range attached. Our last day was spent at Kilmore Quay, another lovely little port, full of thatched cottages and the most wonderful seafood.
That sounds lovely :) I never looked around Wexford even though I caught the Pembroke/Rosslare ferry, ought to have done really.
I am from Kerry and recommend everyone to come here. Killarney Dingle and Tralee are especially recommended with lots to do, great food, music, drink and craic. And some excellent mountain and coastline scenery. People interested in outdoor activities will love Kerry - golf, fishing, hillwalking, watersports in abundance, and the is a great range of good hotel and bed and breakfast accommodation available.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.