Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
havent been to majorca for a while but i found it bloody expensive the last time.... turkey is not as cheap as it was, but i still think you can find value for money. some great things are...
1 free sunbeds and umbrellas
2 great hospitality
3 kids welcome and loved everywhere
4 cheap clothes, gold and leather
a beer will cost from 2.5 to 5 ytl, a meal from 7 to 20 ytl, things to avoid are imported drinks and foods,
like chelsea boy haven't been to majorca for a while but comparing notes with others last year i would say turkey is far cheaper

there are 3 of us and for the last two years have stayed self catering and have struggled to spend £1000 for two weeks - we aren't ones to eat three meals a day mind you but do like to have one really good meal a day and loads and loads and loads of efes!!!!!!!!!!
Its a few years also since we went to Majorca, but to compare my work colleague has an apartment in Menorca and she says they struggle to let it out for the whole 6 weeks summer holidays now because it is so expensive to eat out and also for flight over there - considering its only a 2 hour flight - its cheaper to fly to Turkey.

We spend about £1,000 also 2 adults 2 children and dont scrimp on anything, buy clothes, jewellery, we dont have 3 meals a day either, but tend have an english breakfast at 11 ish and then manage until later when we eat out again.
marmaris is far and away much cheaper than majorca,we went majorca 2 years ago and spent a small fortune while in june we went to marmaris and found that is far cheaper so gives you a little more for clothes watches etc to bring home
We (2 adults 2 children) went to Menorca last year for 10 days and spent a fortune, food and drinks was really expensive. Trips out getting into Aqua park was very expensive and considering you were not allowed to take your own picnics they had you on the food, for 4 burgers 2 lots of chips and 2 drinks we paid £24 thats after we paid £60 to get in and then they make you pay £2 to hire a sunbed for the day :shock:
I will say buses were cheap to get around
Don't know about Majorca but we went to Salou in October . Big mistake the prices were outrageous. I know the price of things have increased in Turkey but there is still a great deal to be gained by going to such a lovely country. The trips are much cheaper and the people are so welcoming. The land of a thousand kindnesses. Going back in July.
Margaret
:omg kelly marie that was outrageous!!!

one thing with marmaris - you can use the sunbeds linked to bars/restaurants for free and you are waited on so needed keep getting up for your drinks - heaven!!
Whilst marmaris has become more expensive over the years I would say that it still cheaper than Majorca. A holiday can be as expensive as you want to make it, depending on what you eat and drink. A typical meal ( is there such a thing)with starter main course a couple of round of drinks can cost as little as £25 for a family of 5.

A couple of things worth considering are the quality of food in Marmaris is generally excellent as are the portions. Friendliness of staff and service are again generally of a higher standard than Majorca(in my opinion)

Hopefully you will book up, once you have been once you will not wish to holiday elsewhere

Stewart
We were half board last year in Marmaris (Armutalan) for two weeks and were half board.

We, included myself, my husband and our three year old. We didn't do a massive amount of shopping, the usual 20 t shirts, couple of shirts for the wee man, two watches (around £30 each). We spent plenty on drinks during the day (soft which are dearer than alcoholic!) and ice creams. We spent around £1200 over the two weeks. I was shocked by this as it had been two years since we'd been in Turkey and I really noticed the rises.

I was in Alcudia two years ago and would say the prices were around the same, if not slightly cheaper.

HTH

Catherine
£25 for 2 courses and 2 rounds of drinks for a family of 5,where did you go for that i know marmaris is cheap but never fopund anywhere like that
Stewart is right I paid about £5 for main course pudding and a couple of drinks in the marina area last summer. The food was good quality
the marina is expensive but if you eat around the beach or taj mahal area it is cheaper

a couple of nights we ate at the fast food place by gima - just a cheapy meal - we had fish and chips, large chicken kebab, kiddies meal, extra chips and 3 drinks (they don't serve booze) at it cost £12!

to be honest it was absolutely gorgeous and you don't really need to eat massive meals every night - so a little tip for you!
Somewhere like Mudurnu is excellent value and the quality of food is generally good. If you want you can obvoiously spend a lot more at a "proper restaurant" but Mudurnu is probably the bottom of the spending scale.
Like Scottishmum says the price of soft drinks can be more expensive than beer and local spirits

Stewart
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.