Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
jeep safari
14 Posts
The jeep safari's go off road, so as long as she doesn't get scared easily she should be ok. Im not sure how much the safari's cost now as I haven't been for a while, but we are going in Aug, and plan on going on a safari again.
If she doesnt travel well i would avoid it, basically it is very rough and they mess about on the verge end sometimes and is very bumpy and twisty turney, not good if you feel sick. All part of the fun though, just try not to sit over the wheel end, will be very cramped and hot. The day is great though, and the guys are a lot of fun, enjoy.

Michelle x
Age is fine, beware though as all jeeps have A/C but many don't use it (to conserve fuel) and in August it can get very hot in the back of a jeep! Just asked and was quoted 90Euros for one adult and one child on the Troodos Jeep Safari. Have fun!
We went on the jeep safari last year whilst staying in protaras. I suppose the thing I must mention is that its an awful long time to spend cramped up in a jeep. The trip last about 10 hours or so with at least four to five of those on the motorway going to and from Limmasol area where you turn off to head up to Troodos. The off road driving was maybe half an hour in total and in all honesty overated. Our thomson rep sold us the picture of splashing through mountain streams( not one!) and swims in a waterfall & lake ( you cant swim in 12 inches of water) and five minutes isn't long enough anyway! As a sightseeing trip its great, though once again the view from a jeep is very limited , They cram up to 12 people in one jeep and you all have to sit with your legs tucked right in as there's someone opposite to you. Also if you are taller than 5' 10 your head will stick up against the canvas roof. Two of the party including my five year old son got travel sick. If you are staying close to Paphos or Limmasol then i think it would be ok, but the east side of the island i would not personally recommend.The driver was informative and fun (though we had to nudge him on way home as he fell asleep at wheel!!!) All in all you could go to all the places we went to by coach and this would be far more comfortable. Sorry for being negative but had to tell it how it was.
I agree with the above posting although we had the most fantastic driver who made lots of stops in little villages and we had a really good day out but it was extremely tiring and by mid afternoon very uncomfortable. If you are lucky enough to be the first pick up and have the two front facing seats with and behind the driver its OK but the rest have to sit in the back of the jeep on hard seats and the views are very limited. Being six foot tall with long legs it was very cramped. I'm glad we did it because we saw some wonderful sights off road which we wouldn't have seen on a coach but I don't think I would do it again. Not really suitable for small children or anyone with disabilities. The waterfall was very disappointing and whilst you could splash about in the water you couldn't really swim. One word of caution if you decide to do the trip don't be tempted to buy anything in the village stop offs. The prices are a total rip off and you'll get the same goods in or around your resort at half the price. I bought half a dozen wine glasses etched with silver - 15GBP each - back in the resort the same glasses were 7GBP.
Hi cyprusjunkie, think you had a similar experience to us! Our driver was good fun and to be fair he swapped people about in seats so everyone did get a fairly decent seat at at least some point of the journey. Like you said its ok as a one off but not something we'd repeat for definite.i did enjoy lots of the aspects like the monastry ,the nut and fire water tasting ;) and of course some glorious views. i do think some of the views are missed though because of the retrictive views within the jeep. i must add too as a major plus the buffet we had at a troodos restaurant was outstanding with beautiful food and the best red wine i have ever tasted ;) :) :) :cheers
We went in 2004 booked in Pernera (trackers) and then again in 2006, each was a different experience although some of the same places were covered (but with different drivers so they had things they mentioned etc) Both were fantastic trips and worth every penny, I'd go again and if I get chance I will be doing ! As for the views if you ask to stop as long as its safe they will !

Steve
Hopefully if it all works and is added, I just uploaded a couple of videos of our jeep safari !

Steve
Hi Steve ... hopefully just as soon as Vanlaywan might be available, a Video Library will be set up here in the Cyprus forum and your clips will be transferred.

David :wave
Just come back from Protaras, we went on the Jeep Safari to the mountains.

Must admit, was a little disappointed in the trip - cost us 48 Euros each (some people paid a little more). The notes above are right, it is a long day - we were picked up at 7.30am and got back at 5pm. Most of the day you are stuck in the Range Rover, in which there isnt a great deal of room (I anm 5ft 11 and had to crouch to look through the side windows). We only stopped a few times to stretch our legs. We were told to take our swimming costumes for a dip in the lake/waterfall but never saw a drop of water the whole day! We did stop for what seemed like ages for a tea break in some village - they asked what we wanted to drink etc .... didnt realise til we went to leave that we had to pay! THought it was part of the package. Stopped for lunch for Meze at a place in the mountains, but again for too long (again at our cost)- we were all sitting around waiting for an hour after the meal had been eaten - the driver just tended to disappear! Stopped at a lace/silver place on the way back which most people found of little interest and a waste of time (just a way for them to try and make a few quid as we they tried to sell us some overpriced bits and pieces!).

The mountains are nice, there is a little offroading but not a great deal - but just a lot of time in the jeep (as most of the day is on the motorway travelling to/from the mountains - rather than in the mountains).

I wouldnt recommend the trip to be honest, as I think it is very expensive for what you get out of it - for me and my other half, all in cost us over a £100.00 and we didnt overly enjoy it. Maybe hire your own car? Boat trips much better.
after our jeep safari experience posted above on this thread my wife is determined to find the truth about trips. so when we go in september she is going to "enquire" about the same jeep safari we went on last year to our travel rep. if "splashing through mountain streams" and " a swim in a lake with waterfalls" are mentioned then we know not to trust any more of the other trips on offer by the same tour operator ;)
we took our cozzies and towels.... came back very dry! :que
When we went we were able to swim in a lake up in the mountains but it depends on which driver, if the lake has dried up, if the root is blocked etc.....
just added a short clip of our Jeep Safari to the Cyprus Video section !

Video - Cyprus - Troodos Mountains Jeep Safari 2004

Steve
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.