Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Just returned from Alicante with Jet2 and unfortunately lost my wallet.
There is a chance I left it on the outbound flight from Glasgow and tried calling Jet2 last night to enquire if they have a lost / found policy or if the cabin crew log it somewhere so the owner can reclaim it.
I was told that I have to write a letter to the Customer servives dept and they will reply to it!!
I can't believe that a low fare airline who encourage online booking, online check in, online this and online that ask a customer who is looking for some help to write a letter - an e-mail is not an option which I find incredible!
Does anyone have any alternatives (e-mail or UK phone number) that would speed up my enquiry?

Apologies if this question has been asked elsewhere on the thread.
Emails are a very insecure way of communicating so it doesn't surprise me that when it comes to lost property they advise you to write a letter. But from the customers point of view, emails are much easier for them to ignore and much harder for you to prove that it was even received or ever read by someone in Customer Services, whereas if you send a letter and use a 'signed for' service you can always prove whether it arrived or not.

In your position, I would write the letter as requested and pay the extra for making sure that it has to be signed for.

SM

PS I assume that you've already cancelled any cards etc? And have you checked your insurance? They might cover you for any cash lost.
jc1,

I would agree with SMa, a letter may be seen as old fashioned these days, but is the better medium for something like this. Have you tried calling the airports lost property direct with your flight details? Jet2 often use handling agents (normally Menzies, but they do self handle at some airports). Any lost property is often found by handling agents if cabin crew don't see it, logged and stored with lost property at the airport. Jet2 are likely to refer your letter to their handling agents up in GLA/ALC, hence why a letter is better than an email for the reaons SMa mentions.

Darren
Thanks for the info / advice SMa and Dazbo, much appreciated.
My outbound flight was to Alicante, do you think I should contact the airport lost property dept in addition to the letter to Jet2?
Cancelled all my cards the moment I realised my wallet was gone - not until the next morning in resort unfortunately :whoops
jc1 wrote:
My outbound flight was to Alicante, do you think I should contact the airport lost property dept in addition to the letter to Jet2?

It's certainly worth a try and won't do any harm. I would try lost property in GLA first. Crews operate fast turn-arounds (40 minutes) at destinations and don't usualy get off the aircraft and cleaners don't come on so if it's anywhere, I'd say it's in GLA.

Darren
Thanks Daz.

Managed to get some phone numbers for Menzies aviation in Alicante who also provided me with two other numbers (one being the Jet2 office in the airport who were far more helpful and informative than their call centre colleagues in India) but unfortunately, it appears my search is in vain. I will try Servisair at Glasgow as my final attempt :(

Appreciate your advice.
Hi I'm flying Man-Vce LS801 15/4/11 then VCE-MAN LS802 17/4/11. Is there anyway to tell if these flights will have the new JET2 Seats?

Thanks Guys.
biggee77,

MAN-VCE-MAN (LS801/2) are operated by a Boeing 737-300. Aircraft are swapped and changed all the time so there's no way of knowing which it will be until the day of travel. For example G-CELC and G-CELI have been used over the last week.

Darren
has anyone seen the nice "new" 737-800 they have? managed to do a bit of spotting at the weekend :)
fairypants,

I've seen G-GDFC around the last few weeks although 73H's are a pretty common aircraft at many UK airports, especially if Ryanair serve them.

Darren
dazbo mabe you could advise me i have booked my flights to alicante in june but commin back i have decided to stay longer another 5 nights was going to change my flight back but they wanted £77 so i have booked another airline back at £44 do you think i should tell them i am not flying back or say nothing my mates are still commin back on original flight was going to give my boarding card to a mate to hand in at boarding gate so as to save the airline any hassle any one advise me please
FATBOY,

I would tell them and cancel the booking for that flight personally and wouldn't check-in as that can cause problems at the boarding gate if the passenger numbers don't talley with the manifest.

Darren
the important point not clear here is are you all on one booking reference?

if yes be very careful what you cancel - it might knock out the whole group. Just telling them at checkin that you're not travelling should be all that is needed. If Checking in online there might be a technical problem to miss one out of a group but if you have to print all boarding cards they must have some form of audit control for no-shows. In this case have someone take your boarding card but only if it's someone bright/sober enough to not just leave it at the gate and cause confusion when they add them up (maybe write Cancelled across it first?).

if you have a seperate booking with it's own reference number and it's not worth claiming back the taxes (less the usual massive admin charge) don't bother saying anything.
cheers steve and dazbo i am the lead name on a bloc booking flyin out on the saturday and back wednesday but i mysel is not commin back i am just going to print all boarding cards and we are hand luggage only i shall give my return card to my best mate he says he will hand it in at the boarding gate and explain that i am not traverling back as there is no luggage i cant see there being a probb i hope lol
if you're the lead name on a booking don't even think about formally cancelling - ever, for anything!!

Maybe best to tell the staff at the gate whilst it's quiet before boarding starts so that they don't get confused.
dazbo,

yeah i know, but its nice to see a newer craft enter their fleet. after FA and FB ......! Have you ever flown on those?

Claire
fairypants wrote:
Have you ever flown on those?

73H you mean? Yes, but not Jet2's (yet). They are a nice enough aircraft, much like any other 737 from a passengers perspective other then an updated cabin, eg slightly different seats and overhead storage areas.

Darren
i meant the jet2 ones, haha I used to work them last summer, nice for passengers, but for crew were a bit of a nightmare (all single carts)!
i believe they also have a couple (?) of 757's in the jet2holidays scheme.

off topic but have you done a trip report for the dr yet?

claire
fairypants,

The Jet2Holidays 752's are on lease from Allegiant for the summer in their basic livery with Jet2 decals, former Thomson Airways aircraft (G-BYAH/I). G-GDFD (73H, ex D-AHFB) is due anytime soon. I've not got round to my trip report as yet. I will sometime!

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.