Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
Juhu Beach
7 Posts
At Juhu Beach, you may just about spot the odd Bollywood star There are several very nice places to eat around Juhu Beach, and if you like the more upmarket variety - try the Four Seasons or the JW Marriott, which has a pretty decently priced and great spread for brunch on the weekends. Other restaurants serving chinese, Indian, Indian-chinese dot the road to the beach. Juhu beach is about 3 kms from the airport and on a clear day (no traffic), will take you about 1/2 hour to 1 hour depending on traffic. Other hotels that serve good food are the Sea Princess, and the Ramada Inn.
Most Indians prefer to munch on snacks dished out by the stalls on the beach - Pav Bhaiji is a hot favuorite - its really a mash of vegetables, simmered on a griddle, served with dollops of butter and toasted bread. Yummy, but not for the first-timers to Indian street food. hope this helps. Beer is not freely available at these stalls / shacks like in Goa, as the licences are pretty strict in Mumbai. But there are always beer bars around, and lots of shops (for some reason called wine shops) that will sell beer at retail prices. You can buy chilled pints or cans or bottles and the owner will obligingly open the bottles for you to drink from - no glasses though!
By the way, places to see are the ISKCON complex, or you can soak in a little culture at the Prithvi Theatre, where the arty types hang out :). Most Indians hang around the film stars's homes to catch a glimpse of their favourite star - Amitabh Bachchan.
Oh and be prepared for the crowds on the beach. A good way to take in the beach is to retreat to a beach front hotel - Sun and Sand, or Holiday Inn or Juhu Centaur. These hotels have good and reasonably priced coffee shops that overlook the beach and if you get a good table, you can sip some coffee or any other sun downer and watch the sunset from here.
Smartpatti
I wish I had seen your post before we went, However we did have a great ady in Mumbai but only drove past Juhu beach on the way back to the airport and it was packed. Next time though, thanks again for your reply. We are looking at Sri Lanka in September I dont suppose you have been there.
Cheers again
GL
Only twice - but to Bentota and to Colombo
Sorry, just realized I dashed off one line. Felt the need to come back and say am glad that your day in Mumbai went well. Did you do a lot of shopping?
Got back last night and spent Thursday at Juhu. We would recommend Mahesh Lunch Home as an excellent restaurant with impeccable service. Probably the dearest meal we have ever had in India at nearly 3000 rups but we knew it was going to be expensive.

Mods - if you add the Royal Garden Hotel to the list I will do a review.
KatieP

Sorry I don't know the location of your hotel to ask for it to be added.

Please post HERE with details of the location and tour operator if applicable and a link if you have one and it will be added.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.