Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi squirrelchops,
We are going to Olu Deniz next May for a week. Its my first visit to Turkey, and really looking forward to it. I have always wanted to try a turkish bath, and massage, can you tell me a little more about it please, prices where to go etc.?
Hello sluglips.

I know there are numerous threads already on Turkish Baths that may be worth a look too. We went to the Belcekiz hotel....although not a traditional Hamam (there is one in Fethiye I know) it gave us the expereince of having one.

My boyfriend was initially apprehensive as not overly keen on being rubbed down by another man but he got stuck in and throughly enjoyed it. Firstly we had a sauna, then rubbed all over by man with a rough loofah mit whilst lying on a large marble slab. This is followed by the best soapy rub down ever that leaves your skin as soft as anything. I had my hair washed too which was lovely.

We also had a full body oil massage, this was done by women and we had it together. Really relaxing. They can be quite rough during the bath but if you motioned they would be more gentle! (our necks and shoulders were well pummelled!).

I think it was £10 for bath and same for massage. However...word of advice....we paid in lira which I worked out cost us £8 more than if we had used stirling ....ah well you learn! There are other places in Olu that do it and my advice is to ask around........but we were very happy with our morning there. Of course also go right at the beginning of your holiday so as to not pull your tan off and to also tan better thoroughout your time there. We are both as brown as berries and no peeling skin!! Enjoy.
Hi squirrelchops,
Im going to the karbel sun on Aug 29th for 1 week,Can you tell me more about the hotel ?.

Best Regards
Paul :)
Hi Paul, I have written a review under the hotel section but shall summarise for you!

The hotel is at the end of the main busy strip, on a side road which is great as you are within easy walking distance of everything but without the noise of the other bars etc. If you leave the hotel and turn right then right again that is the main strip to the sea front. Alternatively turn left and to the end of the road (you can catch dolmus on this main road) and there are again bars and restaurants all the way to the sea but are cheaper than the main strip.

The hotel itself is great, it is basic but clean and the staff are great. Mind you I say it is basic but for the price we paid we got air conditioning, TV and hair dryer in the room which compared to what you may get in a Greek b&b for a similar price I think is very good.

Generally the balconies are small. We ended up in block 2 and our room was below garden level so from our terrace we had to look up to see what was going on. Initially we were going to ask to move but then realised we had a terrace more than double the size of everyone elses with washing line and it kept cool all day which in temperatures that apparently reached 53 degrees when we were there was much appreciated. Also we could see the coming and goings but just not a sea view.....and as we were at the sea most days we had a good view then!

Everything in the hotel can be put on a charge card. We settled up every other day and had no problem with the bill. Lunch menu ok but to be fair you could get better within a minutes walk. We didn't have an evening meal there as so many places to go to. The breakfast is your basic Turkish. Bread, eggs, olives, watermelon, jam etc. We found it fine and kept us going to lunch. Also having breakfast out every day would soon add up. We found we were budgeting for £100 per day for the 2 of us. We did some trips, ate out every night and at lunch (albeit sometimes just a sandwich for lunch)and bought a few little trinkets home but not a lot. Admittedly we do like to have a few drinks of an evening but we were initially quite surprised as to how quickly you get through the money. Also we spent far less the second week to be fair as you suss out where is better value etc. We did notice that in the second week prices in a lot of the restaurants and bars were being reduced...possibly to get in more trade.

The pool area is nice but was reasonably quiet whilst we were there. May well be much busier in August when you go. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves there and hope you do to. Anything othe queries please just ask.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.