Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Kapparis
15 Posts
Hi, the road from Kapparis runs directly to Pernera and then Protaras. I wouldn't want to walk it in the day due to the temperature! (Not to say you might not want to give it a go!) The bus service is regular and very cheap! Have a look at http://www.kapparis.info for maps and loads of local info.
Thanks for the tip, we will probably get more info from the people we are renting the apartment from but I like to know about places before we go. My husband thinks im mad and just goes with the flow.
We have walked from Pernera to Kapparis in the middle of August up the main road taking us from about 11am to around 1pm.... it was very very hot...all along the route adding more sun cream and stopping at several places along the way for a drink ! We had a look around the Malama village complex and started walking back along the beach but this route soon becomes a mountain climb along the very narrow rocky edge, so we came back to the main road and eventually got on the bus as we were scorching !

(We aren't ramblers or anything, we just like to walk and see things that you miss when driving)

On our recent visit (April) on a cooler day where the sun was held back behind clouds (mostly) we had no real problem walking from Pernera to Orphandies Supermarket (Paralimini) and back again, so we know its just the heat that makes it difficult !

Steve
Thanks Steve we do like walking but reading what you have said I think we will be taking the bus I did'nt realise it was quite so far between resorts. We booked the apartment in Kappris because it looked so nice and we have read good reports about the bars and eating places on Kennedy Avenue. I feel sure we will love Kapparis we just wanted something not quite so full on as protaras.
Hi Sue... I'm biased as I own an apartment in Kapparis and run the website.

If you view my Google map of the area, you'll see the many bars and restaurants along Kennedy Avenue (and some up Protaras Avenue). Depending on which development your apartment is, there may still be a bit of a trek to get to them.

AND, the bus currently does not go down Kennedy... you'll see it comes down from Paralimni to the Kapparis roundabout, but then heads off to Pernera. So there also may be a tiresome trek to get to the roundabout to get the bus. (And back again!)

However, I've heard that bus stops have appeared on other roads in the area, but no-one has confirmed if buses are actually running through Kapparis.

I also have a map of many Kapparis developments and using the distance measurement tool, you can judge how far it is. I believe you have to have a Google account to do this.

We love Kapparis but we are close to Kennedy. And we love to get out and about and really feel a car is necessary. Or a taxi, of course.

HTH, Marion
Hi Marion
Thanks for the info, we are staying at the Elena Court apartments. I think from our booking info that we are about 10mins from the beach and about 15mins from shops, bars etc. We probably will not feel the need to go into Protaras much if Kappris is as nice as it sounds we have simple taste, a bar with some music and a bit of life ( not too loud) and traditional greek food.
Hi All,
My boyfriend and I are lucky enough to visit Cyprus and have a long holiday there for about 2 months. We want to explore the Island but on a budget. We have been to Cyprus twice and loved it however we stayed in Pernera and we have been looking at apartments to rent in that area but it is very expensive. It seems Kapparis is alot cheaper. Would anyone be able to help as we are interested in staying in the area as it looks lovely but we are 22 and 23 years old and it seems the area is not aimed at people our age. Do you think we will have a problem with this? Also the places we have been offered to rent state that Protaras is about 5 mins drive away. Is this true as i know people are desperate to rent and will stretch the truth. We will not be hiring a car or Scooters but are liking the idea of getting fit with all the walking, and wven get buses.Any advice would be of great help. Many Thanks Claire
Hi Sue... I think the timings are about right. Enjoy!

Hi Claire... You don't say when you will be in Cyprus. July and August is so hot that many expats return to the UK. Also, two months is awkward for renting - too short for long-terms and too long for short-terms.

As for Kapparis, read my post above, view the maps, and note the absence of buses. Protaras is about 4 miles away, but Kennedy Avenue is over a mile long. And Kapparis stretches inland to Paralimni. See Wikimapia for a rough idea of the area. (Note the satellite image is September 2003, and there's been massive property developments.)

Kapparis is great for a chill-out holiday, whatever age you are. The pubs are open all year round and have nightly entertainment, but not on the same scale as Protaras/Pernera.

I think you might be pushing it on a budget and no transport, particularly with the euro/pound exchange rate. And if you want to explore, maybe you should choose somewhere more central. It's a good two and a half hour drive from east to west. It would be much longer by public transport, which isn't that good.

Marion
Thanks for you quick reply! We will be staying in Cyprus from June to end of July and we suprisingly have had many offers about renting we have about 4 places to choose from and they all look really nice! So down Kennedy avenue there are many places to eat and drink? Also random question but we are staying about a 20 mins walk from the beach but as like pernera do you know if you can coastal walk all the way to Protaras. I have been told also that Kapparis may be a good place to stay as it maybe a bit cheaper there to buy food etc! Just like to say that its nice to have a forum like this where you can talk and learn about the area.
And thank you for your quick reply! It will be very hot in June/July! Not surprised you've had good offers as there is so much competition now.

Here's some direct links to Google Maps with links to websites where available:
- Kapparis showing restaurants, pubs etc
- Kapparis apartment & villa complexes
- Paralimni supermarkets
NB satellite images are dated September 2003 (oh, how I wish I could change that!)

I believe they are going to extend the coastal path from Pernera up through Kapparis. Indeed, reports are that work has already started and access to the Fireman's Beach and Malama is restricted. So you'll have to wait and see.

The local supermarkets (convenience stores) and bakery are handy but probably a little bit more expensive than the major ones in Paralimni.

Ask any other questions, but please look at the Google maps - they took a while to produce!

Marion
Thanks for the links i can now see how far away we are from the Sea! And it looks to far we have been offered another 3 but not sure where they are located as they are in a new complex! Ive had a lok around at the bars and restaurants and there seems to be a fair few however i am sure we would much prefer it in Protaras. Do you know how much it costs for a bus frfom Kapparis to Protaras? Just trying to work out budgets?
Last year, the bus between Paralimni - Pernera - Protaras - Ayia Napa was €1.50
See http://emantravel.com/article.php?id=77

But, as I said, buses don't run through Kapparis at the moment. Nearest bus stops are at the big roundabout where the ATM is, and opposite Orphanides, the supermarket.

Marion
Hello!

Need some advice, basically we have been offered an apartment with a lovely balcony and extremelly good value for money but it is in the panorama village i think its called. Which we know is a little way out.
However we have been offered another apartment at the kyklades complex about £300 more, obv closer to everything yet has a small balcony over looking others where the other apartment doesn't.

We love pernera/protaras and as we are not hiring a car we were thinking of the odd day walking there. Would anyone know walking distances to Pernera from Kyklades and then walking distance from Panaroma to Pernera.

We are going for 7 weeks, and obv limited funds available for this time. We was thinking the further out we are the less money we spend. But its like swings and round abouts.

Thanks for any advice.
Hi Claire

If you look at my maps, you'll see that Kyklades is at least two miles from Pernera, and Panorama Village at least three miles, although there is a bus stop right outside Kyklades.

As you're staying for seven weeks without transport, I would seriously consider something closer to Pernera/Protaras at that time of year.

Marion
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.