Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi we stayed here a few years ago and it is a good hotel, our room was fine but since then it has al been updated and a new block added so should be even better. The position is perfect near the beach and the shops but quite quiet which we liked, it is in a side street just off the main drag. The breakfast was a buffet and had the ususal Turkish and cereal, yogurts ect.. some days fresh cooked omlettes. I am sure you will have a lovely holiday Olu Deniz is a great resort http://www.karbelhotel.com is the website. You can also use the facilites of the sister hotel Karbel which is at the top of the main street.
Thanx for reply.
I noticed however there seems to be Karbel Beach Hotel which is on my invoice and Karbel Hotel.
Which is the better?

Lisa :sun2
Hi, there are 3 Karbel hotels in Olu

Hotel Karbel
Karbel Beach and the Karbel Sun

We've stayed twice now, for the past two years at the Hotel Karbel which is that the top of the main road coming up from the beach and the largest. It merged with what was the White Hotel and as such now has double the facilities, 2 pools, 2 pool bards etc. We did look around the others the first time, but always preferred the Karbel which is why we went back there. There are reviews on the site here tho for some of them :)
I have stayed at both and I prefered the karbel beach as it is quieter and a bit nearer the beach, if you are a person who likes a bit more action and more people around you will probaly prefer the Karbel but you can go there and use the facilities and sit around their pool anyway. The Karbel Sun is a smaller quieter one as well never stayed there. All of them are good so I am sure you will be fine.
Hi

I have stayed at the Karbel Beach and the Karbel Sun, I prefered the Karbel Beach as it was quiter, the staff abit more laid back and friendlier. At the Sun they were abit nosey, asking when we would eat in their restaurant, felt bad for not eating there and they put signs everywhere about taking your own food and drink in, felt like a naughty child if they saw you with other food.

Also watch your bills, at both hotels you get a card and can 'pay' for food and drinks with it which you can pay off every few days, I tried to do it every other and they refused as I wanted to use my card, then I found that many items had been added which we hadn't had, this was swiftly sorted but was abit of a downer at the time. I spoke to the big boss and he ensured the items were removed and that I could pay daily with my debit card.

Have a great holiday, can't wait to go back to Olu in July, 2 weeks at Karbel Beach :D
corrie, are you saying that you cant pay as you go at Karbel Beach? I am going in August/September and the last thing i want is to pay an 'unexpected' large bill.
are you saying that you cant pay as you go at Karbel Beach? I am going in August/September and the last thing i want is to pay an 'unexpected' large bill.

They have a "credit card" system, whereby, each time you go to the bar, or snack bar etc within the hotel you hand over your card and it is attached to your room bill. They do not handle cash, you just sign the tabs and keep a receipt so you can, when you get the main bill at reception check your own receipts against what they say there is.

Just to let you know, we have never had a problem with this system for the past couple of years at the Karbel, and they allowed guests to settle that part of their bill as often as you liked. We tended to do it every few days, but I did keep the receipts just to check.

Hope that helps.

Karen
Hi

Yes what Karen said is correct and the Karbel Beach is great, we could pay every other day with no problems

but at the Karbel Sun I had problems with payments and random items being on the bill.

Have a great holiday
Thanks for putting my mind at rest. Stayed at Magic Tulip last year and was going to return but the excellent reviews on various websites swayed me to choose Karbel Beach this time.
What is the format for dinner? Is it a buffet and what sort of food can i expect?
What is the format for dinner? Is it a buffet and what sort of food can i expect?

I cant speak for the Karbel Beach but at ours it was buffet style breakfast and also for dinner. You paid extra if you wanted anything off the a la carte menu. WE've been b&b both years, paid the first time to have a special offer for half board for 4 days for the price of 3, cos their BBQ night at the karbel was great value, but we found that the buffet set up was just not right for us, and due to my fussy son and the most wonderful places to eat in Olu that B&B was the best option.

But the food we did have in the evenings were lovely, and others said how nice the roast on sunday was...but thats not me Im afraid and love to eat Turkish food!

I'd go back again this year to be honest, but until Olu had never travelled to the same place twice before, now Im finding it hard to choose anywhere else to go LOL
Hi

We should have stayed at the Karbel last year but when we got there we were put into the Karbel Beach. The hotel was everything we wanted. We had a room at the front which had used to be the old reception to the hotel. The room was massive with two sofas two beds and a seperate bedroom with another double bed. If you stay at the Karbel Beach you can also use all of the facilities at the main Karbel Hotel.

The hotel is quiet at night as it is not on the main street and the staff were very friendly. We stayed for 3 weeks last year and loved every day of it.

Russ
I have just returned fron Karbel Beach.
I am sure when I booked from First Choice brochure that the picture used was from The Karbel and not Karbel Beach. I must admit that when I first booked, I wasn't keen in staying in such a large complex and was only too glad that we stayed in the beach one.
The holiday was everything we wanted and could not fault the hotel in anyway except the breakfast - very poor. I am sorry but seeing there is more british staying there, the breakfast should cater as such and provide more hot food and not just eggs, cheese and hams. Very boring and therefore thats why we went out a couple of mornings and had a hot full english.
I would not want to be based on the ground floor rooms as they have no views whatsoever from the balconies and therefore was happy with what we got - block 2, top floor overlooking pool.
I would give the hotel 8/10 and would have given it 9 if not for the above.

Lisa
Early this year i booked a holiday to Karbel Beach Hotel. I was going to go back to the Magic Tulip but so many good reviews made me choose Karbel Beach.
This season has started with poor reviews on the review section of this site, tripadvisor.co.uk and holidaywatchdog.co.uk, which are the complete opposite of last year.
Are the reviews by very fussy people or has it really changed? I must admit i am more than a little concerned now.
i just read the reviews and think you will be ok that bad review was the begining of may and they had just opened and proberbly did not have the correct staff this hotel is ussually pretty good :sun2
Nothing wrong with the hotel, just wouldn't want to be in the basement rooms as there is no views.
Breakfast is very poor especially when catering for the British.
I would give it 8/10

Lisa :)
Hi

We are returning to this hotel in a few weeks and I have also seen the poor review, it is on a couple of sites. The times we have stayed before have been great, staff friendly, rooms very clean and food good., any problems sorted out swiftly and efficiently and always with a smile, the person who put this review on comes across as a quite angry so don't know what could have sparked this, like the other person said maybe it was the start of the season slump or something, try not to worry.

Yes breakfast is traditional Turkish, but what do people expect, you holiday in turkey you get turkish food. There are an abundance of restaurants in the resirt that do cater to British tastes and provide well cooked english breakfasts at very reasonable prices.

Have a great holiday and let us know how you found it. :)
I still say they could do better on the breakfasts - there is only so much of cheese, eggs you can eat. Why should u pay more to have a hot breakfast?

Lisa :D
its standard in turkey that unless otherwise stated breakfast is full turkish healty breakfast
its a great start to the day especially to finish with bread and honey :sun2
english breakfast is alway extra
hot turkish breakfst is avalible at a small cost it is called menomen yum yum
turkish scrambled eggs with tomatoes onion green peppers and of course a bit of chilli :sun2
Thanks for all the replies. all the positive reviewers cant be wrong compared to one complainer.
I had Turkish breakfasts last year at The Magic Tulip, it was just what you want on a hot day.
If you want cooked breakfasts etc go to Blackpool, and i dont see why Turkish hotels shouldnt charge more for what at the end of the dare is not normal turkish food.
cant wait until 29 August.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.