Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Larnaca Airport
26 Posts
its now run by Hermes and i believe their policy is no smoking anywhere..
Looks like im gonna have to buy some patches or gum or something then, otherwise im liable to suffer major withdrawals lol

Satin
We flew back in May and smoking was still allowed in the cafeteria area near the toilets... ie through security and turn right.

The new airport officially opens sometime in November.

Marion
Thanks Marion, can stop having the panic attacks now :rofl

Satin
We last flew from Larnaca a couple of weeks ago - and as Marion says, it is still allowed (...for now! - look for the green signs) to the right by the bar.
Not allowed in arrivals any more though...
You can still smoke in the bar at the back of departures, right near the toilets.
There are also outside cafes on the ground level and on the upper level.

Don't panic too much - Cyprus is littered with smokers, so I cannot see there being a total ban without someone finding somewhere to plonk a smoking area ;)

CwB
CwB is correct, but please note that these are before you go through to departures
Thought you would like to know a smoking ban comes into effect Jan 2010 for all indoor spaces, restaurants, public buildings etc. Will be interesting to see how it goes with the CYs. Glad
As if its goig to happen though Glad lol.
what I can't understand is why they don't seem to want you smoking elsewhere in the airport but don't mind it where everyone is eating !!.....

Steve
Totally agree with you Steve! We sat right next to burger king/macdonalds? and were sitting in fog in the none smoking area and this was early in the morning the foodplace hadnt even opened!! We ate our sandwiches quickly and scarpered :yikes
I had a visit to the new Larnaca airport 3 days ago.

Very impressive tbh.

There are no smoking areas at all there.

It opens 10th November with Cyprus airways and Easyjet the first to move over.
A lot bigger.

There are 48 gates for a start off.

Check in is better as the desks are in rows so no confusion as to which queue your in with everyone snaking all over the place.

There is still a fair bit to do in there mostly with the concessions areas and a lick of paint on the inside walls wouldn't go amiss.

Departures area is a lot larger and more comfortable while waiting for your plane.
Also they have covered walkways to the planes rather than the buses.

In arrivals there are moving walkways to the security area. The baggage collection area is fairly big.

The one big problem I can see is leaving the arrivals area. It is below ground level and there are a set of stairs and five lifts to exit the terminal. Ok not a problem with not much luggage but I can see a big problem with the amount of lifts if 2-3 planes land at the same time. I can see a lot of queues to get out.

All in all I was impressed though.
I believe you can smoke on the plane as long as you stand outside ! :D
They were still smoking in the old airport at the weekend although it looked like they had revamped the area since we were there in July! The new one sounds good especially as we waited over 45 mins :yikes to check in!!
Arrivals below ground getting out will be a nightmare especially on a Sunday,just imagine what it will be like if the lifts breakdown.
Anyone got any photos of the new arrivals area ect of the New Airport in Larnaca??
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.