Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Larnaca airport was closed for most outgoing flight yesterday (8/7/05) due to a 24 hours strike by airport staff due to job security problems, local tv are reporting this may be an on going problem and may have a knock on effect to Pafos airport too..

Jim..will post any updates here..
Lets just hope it doesnt affect holiday passengers.
Does anybody know anything about the strike at Larnaca airport. We are due to fly there with Helios Airlines next Friday night. Does anybody know if this weekends lightening strike was aonce off or its planned for next week end as well.

I would like to clarify things asap as this is the only two weeks we can get off and we would rather cancel and go somewhere else if we have enough notice. Sitting at Dublin Airport is not my idea of a holiday.
As I posted further down it was a one day strike over future job security, there are no plans for more but there may be a short period of tail back flights in and out of Larnaca and Pafos airports
It certainly did on Friday huge delays and also a knock on for Pafos Airport too..
it shouldnt affect flghts that are for about 29th july would it?
No as long as the problem is over...they say it is though!
well call i can do is hope its ok for when i go i suppose :)
Don't worry have a great time...it's very hot here at the moment! heat wave. :(
well im going to drink lots of water and i burn easy so best not stay in the sun too long at any one time.
I flew out of Paphos on Sat 9th July and everything was OK.
i feel bit more relieved now you have said that :D
Flying into Paphos this Wednesday 13th (AARGH WEDNESDAY!!) Hope no strikes/delays. Also hope the weather will cool down a bit - forecast says it will - fingers crossed - it's hot enough here in Scotland!!!!!
Is there any talk of this place being extended at some stage?It really is far too small for the numbers using it.This was our first visit to Cyprus and this place has really put us off returning.The place is the pits an absolute cattle market and how no one gets hurt in the queues for baggage reclaimation and at the boarding gates is a miracle.
I have never had an experience like this in 35 years going abroad
We went to Cyprus for the first time last year(returning on Wednesday) and to be honest we did not have a problem with it. I hope we were not just lucky.
The contracts for the work have already been signed I think but the Turkish Cypriot bloke on whose land Larnaca airport is built on has launched legal action to get his land back so it's anybodies guess if the modernisation actually goes ahead :roll:
Negotiations for the upgrade of both Pafos and Larnaka have been going on for some time,it is hoped that work will commence in the new year,the contracts are on a 25 yr build and run contract so charges may go up even higher (Cyprus is already one of the most expensive with regard to airport charges)

wizard
we use larnace airport a few times a year every year and don't find it that bad
got back today and got to say that I had no problem with the airport, I have used a lot lot worse. Had more of a bad time with the airline we used (not sure if I'm allowed to say who) but I will never fly with them again. But my holiday was fabulous once we got there.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.