Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
see now ardath knows how to word an argument much better than myself,
well done and i could not agree more.

andy
I agree with that entirely but I think we are in danger of moving things too far from a family style A/I at a fairly isolated hotel where the original posters son will be on site much of the time and may want a drink or 2 in a local bar in fethiye /calis to the full on larger and lively resort where families are trying to holiday alongside groups of teens holidaying in groups of their own age , getting legless and falling out of clubs at 5am every morning throwing up. some of those may be with parents that enjoy the same and yes it's very common for lads and girls to go on holiday with their mates before 18 and in the main they are well catered for in resorts that most of us would avoid all over Europe .

lyn
I do agree that we have gone away from the original post, but surley thats why the sites are called
forums so other people can interject with their own opinions and that is the basis for
good and open discussion.

andy
Of course Andy :)

I will probably be a parent worrying about her 18 year old son holidaying in one of these places with his mates next year and I don't mind telling you all I'm dreading it . Of course it's part of being young and growing up but I would be very angry if I thought he and his friends had spoilt anybody elses holiday .

lyn
Am sure that most peope referring to forums like this and Tripadvisor are responsible travellers, otherwise they would hardly be seeking advice from others and if you have managed to instill the same sense of responsibility in your teenager there should be no problem, but to be on the safe side with teens travelling abroad an open and frank discussion regarding the very real dangers of binge drinking might be a good idea, covering the serious problems of possible alcohol poisoning, lower levels of self-control leading to unprotected sex and possible STDs, as well as the very real risk of losing money, passport etc. But as I said a 'discussion' rather than a 'lecture', and having four grown up daughters I know how dismissive they can be of the latter.
You are very right ardath. I think the problem teenagers are usually those who have parents who don't drink responsibly and in fact don't act responsibly towards their own children and teenagers. The best way to teach children is by setting an example and unfortunately there are many parents who set such a bad example that their children and teenagers don't stand a chance of knowing how to behave responsibly and of course being drunk can lead to so many other things.

For some reason British people and teenagers do seem so much worse than many other nationalities. We as a nation don't know how to drink responsibly. I have never seen a Turk drunk and out of control, they ceraitnly do drink but not to excess. I'm not really sure why the British are so bad :que

Sorry, I really am waffling :offtop now
alizda wrote:
i know of a 12 year old getting served a fishbowl and shots last year - how bad is that!

and what makes it worse is that her mother knew all about it!

shocking eh x

Just told my daughter that (the 16 year old that does drink occasionally when out with us) and she was disgusted. A tiny amount of tia maria in a big glass of coke is one thing...but shots is something I would not let my daughter do now, and at that age its just :yikes

Back to the OP...in a AI hotel I would say your child is unlikely to be served alcohol...though I can remember reading somewhere that 16/17 year olds were allowed a wine/beer with dinner, like the UK. But don't know whether that was in Turkey or not. So sorry, I'm not being very helpful really.
I think the problem teenagers are usually those who have parents who don't drink responsibly and in fact don't act responsibly towards their own children and teenagers.

Eldest lad is a chef. At a recent function he catered, he saw an 8 year old with a bottle of WKD bought for her by her parents. Is it any wonder they progress as they do.

fwh
It will of course depend on how old they look in comparison to their age and how easy it will be for him to get hold of an adult band . Certainly neither of my lads have had problems getting alcohol at any A/I in Turkey once they have gained the right colour band and they have never found that particularly difficult with a little inventiveness. .

I remember at the Belcekiz they made lot and lots of friends and the departing ones would just pass on their bands that they had either accuired the same way or were over 18 anyway . At the Aegean dream resort they were given childs bands but by the 2nd night those had changed to adult ones . At the Hemera eldest would of been 18 , almost 19 anyway and can't remember the younger one moaning so he must of gained one quickly there too if infact they were any different . Cant remember now :think. I know one hotel we didnt have to wear any at all . Maybe that was the Hemera.

They certainly never see me knocking back the drink . I dont ever touch it and sit there with a coffee most nights before heading to my bed by 11. :)
I only holiday in Marmaris when in Turkey and we always go SC. I don't know about AI hotels but I can tell you the bars in Marmaris do not care about age. And yes there is some underage drinkers who cause trouble, just like back in the UK, but I find the worse drunks in Marmaris are the middle aged women fighting over Turkish men! :rofl
Rather than asking the legal age for drinking, perhaps the question should be what are the legal penalties applied in Turkey for anyone under the age.

Yes I know it goes on and no doubt plenty of people turn a blind eye. But remember the law is there to be enforced and I have no doubt that when it is the excuse "well they are on holiday" will carry little weight.

fwh
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.