General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
That's the spirit! With that sort of attitude you're never going to have the holiday from hell - whatever others might have said about your hotel ;)

SM
thank you sma, you will be pleased to hear that after returning from the cayos in cuba last month, we have rebooked to stay in holguin this september and are planning on seeing santiago amongst other things, we fell in love with the cuban spirit (not just the rum!!!!) the people are so lovely, the island beautiful and the music super-my salsa CD is my new hoovering on a sunday morning favourite!!! we are looking forward to staying on the mainland and seeing more of 'real cuba' aswell as the wonderful beaches :cheers we love the carribean beach life but its great to combine that with some culture, it has really annoyed me reading reviews about cuba's 'awful food' and 'hotels in cuba are not real 5 stars' these people are clearly missing the point and it's such a shame...
Holidays good, bad or otherwise are something that people can argue about until the cows come home. To be fair most of the reviews here on HT are a good indication. Probably because the solid base of members built up over the years is made up of those who are fed up with many of the reports on other sites. If a place gets a bad review on HT then it most likely deserves it. Since discovering HT many years ago I have tried to post objective reviews as do most other people.

I do however have a gripe with others who post. Who are the Smith family who holidayed at whichever place? The Smith family might be a long standing member but we actually know them as "Bob" - their user name. Does it matter? Yes it does. In the past I have sent and received PMs with other members asking questions about particular hotels and resorts, and they have been of great help. I can't do that with the Smith family.

Can I please ask that others take note when posting a review. I trust the review from Bob more than the one from the Smith family.

fwh
Hi emmacat,

I'm so pleased that you loved Cuba - I do always worry that my enthusiasm for the place might paint an unduly rosy picture and that others will end up disappointed! Holguin is an interesting city in itself but Santiago will always be my favourite and I would love to hear what you think of it. Certainly I can't imagine that you will be disappointed in the music scene in either place and whilst I haven't been there, friends who have been to the Casa de Musica in Holguin speak highly of the quality of performance and the dancing to be found there. So even if staying in one of the beachside hotels rather than the city itself do try and take a taxi in one evening and expereince the lcoal nightlife.

As I always say, 'nobody should go to Cuba for the food' but for that 'can-do' spirit and just plain exhuberance that sums up the Cuban approach to life. They don't have much in the way of money or consumer goods but, my, don't they make sure that they make the most of what they have?

SM

PS You could find that the weather might be bit more mixed than you had in March - still plenty of sunshine and heat but an increased risk of short, sharp, heavy rain showers in the late afternoon/early evening. Always a good excuse for sitting it out and having another rum cocktail while the rainclouds pass over!
Emmacat. Good for you! We have been going abroad now for many years and I can honestly say that we have thoroughly enjoyed every single one. When we started going abroad first and with a family we sometimes went for an allocation on arrival holiday. Some of these were super amd some were not. Well, we just made the most of it, trying the local food etc. We are a bit fussier now as we are o.a.p.'s but can never understand the fuss the British make wherever we go. Last year we ended up in a hotel where we were the only British residents, it was so enjoyable, always got a bed by the pool. always greeted by everyone we met there and so loved not listening to the whingers from this country who are usually an embarrassment complaining about the silliest things.
Like previous comments have said, there are people who will moan/ complain just for the sake of it.
Reminds me of the old mother in law joke where every year a bloke and his wife took her constantly moaning mother with them on holiday.This went on for a number of years and she'd moan about everyone and everything. The following year he'd had enough so booked a holiday in paradise, guess what, she even found something to moan about there.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.