Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
unfortunately i do not think you have a leg to stand on.
read the T&Cs for low cost holidays and i am sure you will see that they are allowed to do this as it is only a minor change.
the only light i can shed is that there will probably also be a bit in the T&Cs that deals with the difference in cost if they do move you like this.
i think you may have a case for a refund of the difference in price, but check how they price both hotels now
Thank you very much for the swift reply!

I will definitely look into the T&Cs about a refund of the difference in price as that is mainly what we want, we do not mind spending our time in a not so good hotel as long as we can get some compensation for it, I will keep you informed on the status of the situation.
Well I'd certainly want the difference in price back.

It doesn't sound as though you've booked a package holiday, more than likely its a dynamic package whereby Lowcost put the various components together ie separate flight & accommodation booking. If is a package then who is the Tour Operator?
Looking on their website they have stated this paragraph:
'lowcostholidays.com don’t do package holidays, instead we provide tailor made holidays to suit your taste and budget. By using innovative technology we search for the cheapest holidays and provide you with the flexibility to go when you want and stay where you want. This means that a holiday with lowcostholidays.com is cheaper and more flexible than most cheap package holidays available'

So I am guessing as you say we have booked a dynamic package instead! I'm guessing by the changing of wording this changes my rights completely?

Thanks in advance!
It could be a dynamic package that is a true package, but I don't think Low Cost actually do package their own. Your Atol certificate will tell you whether it's a package or a flight plus.

As long as they have offered you a comparable alternative they have done all they need to. It is up to you whether you accept it. A refund of any difference wouldn't normally happen, even when a package has been booked. The large tour operators pay a small amount of compensation, depending on how long in advance the change is done, but as this isn't a package this won't apply.
Low Cost did pull out of Abta, along with several other companies, and are now part of ATA (Association of Travel Agents).
As they are unlikely to go bust, being an Abta member shouldn't really matter. The financial protection of the flight and accomodation comes via their Atol licence.
Sunaddict wrote:
It could be a dynamic package that is a true package, but I don't think Low Cost actually do package their own. Your Atol certificate will tell you whether it's a package or a flight plus.

As long as they have offered you a comparable alternative they have done all they need to. It is up to you whether you accept it. A refund of any difference wouldn't normally happen, even when a package has been booked. The large tour operators pay a small amount of compensation, depending on how long in advance the change is done, but as this isn't a package this won't apply.
Low Cost did pull out of Abta, along with several other companies, and are now part of ATA (Association of Travel Agents).
As they are unlikely to go bust, being an Abta member shouldn't really matter. The financial protection of the flight and accomodation comes via their Atol licence.

Have looked at the ATOL certificate and have hence found that what we have booked is a 'flight-plus' holiday and hence not a package. Guessing by your paragraph is that we are very unlikely to get compensation which is a shame! I will have a look at the ATA regulations and see what I can uncover.
Thanks for the help!
Lowcostholidays don't do packages of any sort as their Terms and Conditions make very clear here

http://content.lowcostholidays.com/DataObjects/FlightTermsConditions/File/Lowcostholidays%20Terms%20and%20Conditions%20Flights.pdf

In fact they include the statement

.You must understand that it is you who creates your own booking(s) and who organizes it. We do not organize package arrangements of any sort. The consequence is that no booking you make will fall within the Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 (as amended).

SM
But surely in this case the OP did 'create his own booking and organize it' to include Hotel A, whereas it was Lowcost who changed this to Hotel B. I'm probably missing something, but by reference to their stated terms it would appear they are hoist by their own petard. :-?
Just an update if anyone is interested, (or if anyone is put in this situation in future)

After complaining and complaining they came back and offered us two options:

1. Stay in hotel A with room-only (we had booked self catering)

2. Stay in hotel B with £40 compensation, £10 compensation per person

As we deemed the compensation for hotel B wasn't enough (£160 would be worth it) we decided to stay in the hotel A. Even though we thought that taking the "self catering" part of the room away we should be due a little money back, we would not have cooked anyway so it wouldn't affect our holiday.

Thank you for everyone who replied, your advice was very helpful when I was in a really tough situation not really knowing my rights! :D
Yes, thanks for getting back to us and now the only thing left to do is to get on with enjoying your holiday. :cheers

Aslemma wrote:
But surely in this case the OP did 'create his own booking and organize it' to include Hotel A, whereas it was Lowcost who changed this to Hotel B. I'm probably missing something, but by reference to their stated terms it would appear they are hoist by their own petard. :-?

Aslemma in this situation with companies like Lowcostholidays you create your own booking and organise it direct with the bed supplier and the changes are usually made by them and you have to negotiate with them and/or rely on Lowcostholidays to negotiate with them on your behalf. In such circumstances Lowcostholidays are the messengers not the people who made the decision and their T&Cs cover them for exactly this sort of situation.

SM
So glad you've got things sorted and can now enjoy your holiday.

I guess I've been lucky, as in all the years I've been booking through companies like this I've only ever been up-graded when my hotel hasn't been available.
Though I've never used Lowcostholidays I too have used companies like them - principally Travel Republic - and never had problems either. I do wonder though whether as women of shall we say more 'mature' years that some companies think twice about trying to do this sort of thing to people like us who because of our age can be assumed to be a bit more experienced and worldly wise when it comes to travelling? We seem to have seen a spate of posts here from younger travellers just like the OP here and perhaps some bed bookers and hotels try to take advantage of them, thinking that they will give up more easily?

SM
The only thing against that theory is that I can't remember ever being asked for my age when booking on line, so whilst it may apply when face-to-face with a sales person I can't see it affecting bookings made on the net.. As for being mature, you speak for yourself my dear, I'm positively ancient. :rofl
Ancient? Never! :tup

No, I've never been asked for my age when booking just a hotel either but more and more flight operators ask for the passport information at the time of booking or at least a few weeks before departure so that information would be in the documentation for a dynamic package booking? Just a thought that's all.

SM
Experience obviously counts when booking some of these holidays. We usually go back to hotels where we have had a good experience these days but I still make a few notes before even looking.

1 - Destination and accommodation (we will have already decided before we start) so any sales pitch is wasted on us - if that hotel is not available then we stop there and then. Go away and think about alternatives never accept the one the agent suggests. With all the holiday review sites it is not difficult.
2 - What dates,and flexibility. We only do day time flights these days so times are important.
3 - 20Kg luggage so we are not caught out as we once were.

Sounds simple but as we know from the complaints aired on here people are only too willing to be sold something rather than buying what they actually want. Cost wise it is probably the largest item of expenditure people make after a house or car so make sure it is the holiday YOU want.

I always tell people to forget the excitement of booking a holiday, which is often the reason people do not read the T&Cs and so end up in a mess, it is no different from buying anything else

fwh
Low Cost don't decide who get's bumped. The hotel will inform their suppliers of an overbooking. If it's close to arrival the hotel itself may even decide which customers to bump, and they have no idea of how old people are, neither do Low Cost's suppliers. The only people that do now are Low Cost, and they don't make the decision.
fwh wrote:
Experience obviously counts when booking some of these holidays. We usually go back to hotels where we have had a good experience these days but I still make a few notes before even looking.

1 - Destination and accommodation (we will have already decided before we start) so any sales pitch is wasted on us - if that hotel is not available then we stop there and then. Go away and think about alternatives never accept the one the agent suggests. With all the holiday review sites it is not difficult.
2 - What dates,and flexibility. We only do day time flights these days so times are important.
3 - 20Kg luggage so we are not caught out as we once were.

Sounds simple but as we know from the complaints aired on here people are only too willing to be sold something rather than buying what they actually want. Cost wise it is probably the largest item of expenditure people make after a house or car so make sure it is the holiday YOU want.

I always tell people to forget the excitement of booking a holiday, which is often the reason people do not read the T&Cs and so end up in a mess, it is no different from buying anything else

fwh

Totally agree , which is why I would not book these type of suppliers or any other name they call themselves

SMa wrote:
Lowcostholidays don't do packages of any sort as their Terms and Conditions make very clear here

http://content.lowcostholidays.com/DataObjects/FlightTermsConditions/File/Lowcostholidays%20Terms%20and%20Conditions%20Flights.pdf

In fact they include the statement

.You must understand that it is you who creates your own booking(s) and who organizes it. We do not organize package arrangements of any sort. The consequence is that no booking you make will fall within the Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 (as amended).

SM

SMa wrote:

Aslemma wrote:

Aslemma in this situation with companies like Lowcostholidays you create your own booking and organise it direct with the bed supplier and the changes are usually made by them and you have to negotiate with them and/or rely on Lowcostholidays to negotiate with them on your behalf. In such circumstances Lowcostholidays are the messengers not the people who made the decision and their T&Cs cover them for exactly this sort of situation.

SM

As fwh said , cost wise it is probably the largest item of expenditure people make after a house or car , I think I would really want to know exactly what I was getting and who exactly is responsible
Sorry forgot to add , have a great holiday gyoulden , and glad you got sorted out to your satisfaction ,
And just for the record , I don't go on holiday to cook either ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.