Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Could you not make a claim on your travel insurance?
Probably yes. Will have to explore that road if I have no joy with lowcostholidays. Really wanted to know if this was a standard practice, to take out the remainder of your balance without clearly stating it.
yeah this is standard practice across the companies and well know TO's also. I would try LCH but I would also look at your travel insurance
Sorry to hear about your wife,hope she's on the road to recovery.Had you rung to cancel before the money was taken,if not it's not really their fault,they probably just assumed that you had forgotten the date that it had to be paid,T
Hi
Really sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she makes a full recovery.
Yes, some companies do this. There is an icon on their payment page next to the payment options that links to their Terms and Conditions.
I know that a lot of online companies do this but it is something I personally don't agree with. I have a friend who wishes his travel agent actually did because he forgot to pay for his flights last year and they cancelled them :whoops
I do hope you managed to get this sorted satisfactorily.
Just because websits put things in their terms and conditions doesn't make it legal.

Sorry to hear about your wife. You don't need extra stress. Please contact the card issuer and ask them for their advice. Say you did not authorise the balance payment over the phone at the time of the transaction. Maybe you'll get someone, but I'm not sure.

You always must write to to cancel an agreement (cancel a booking) never assume. Sorry.
I should have phoned to cancel. Then again, would they have answered me? So far I have sent three e-mails, phoned every day at a premium rate and posted two letters to discuss this matter. Not heard a thing. The phone cuts off after it has gave you the various options. But it is still a very nasty practice and they should make it more clear that they will debit your money anyway unless you contact them to cancel.
Have you tried any of these numbers for low cost holidays 01342 305620 / 01342 305644/ 0800 1116280

I & others managed to get straight through & speak to someone without too much cost.

Hope these help.

Good luck.
I thought this was normal practice for all online TA's - saves them time chasing people who 'forget' to pay as it's just done automatically. No having to send out letters asking for payment etc.

I assume you would have been told when the balance was due when you booked and that you hadn't been able to advise them of your wife prior to that date? They would then have assumed all was okay and taken the money as per their T&C's.

If it's in their T&C's I don't suppose there is an awful lot you can do, just appeal to their better nature and they might come up trumps.

Hope your wife is doing okay.
As you had nt given any instruction to cancel the booking I m afraid technically they are not in the wrong . Although the method used is somewhat questionable , it might be worth cancelling asap now before you get into significant charges and claim against your insurance.
Hi ,if your wife is well enough it might be a lovely surprise to take her,after all it's already paid for.T.
I have always been informed when the balance is due. I would contact your card and call the Consumer org. Even direct debits inform you before taking money out of your account.
It seems the op was informed the week before but presumably thought that by not paying the balance the booking would be cancelled,if he had explained why he needed to cancel he may have got his deposit back too.T.
Deposits are not refundable. OP : Please contact your card issuer and tell them about this and see what they advise. Ask them if they'd consider following a charge back procedure.
Sorry but I think that it would be crazy to try to get a chargeback done when the OP has entered into a binding contract as the agent has done nothing wrong as they were not informed of the cancellation.

As the holiday is now paid for maybe it would be a quicker and easier route to go through the travel insurance company, a friend of mine was sadly in the same circumstances recently and claimed this way problem free. To the OP I hope that you wife makes a speedy and full recovery and is able to holiday again soon once she is well again.
Problem solved hopefully. My wife managed to get through to them on the numbers supplied by debdon (many thanks) and they have agreed to refund all our money back to our credit card within seven days. So, fingers crossed, and I will let you know when I actually get refunded. It's a kind gesture and we are both relieved. This holiday was just a couple of months too early to take. Hopefully, will look to go around October half term and I shall consider booking with Lowcostholidays again. Many thanks for all the advice and kind words of support for my wife.
So pleased you've got this sorted out. I hope your wife continues to improve and you do eventually get, what I can imagine, is a well deserved, much needed holiday.
Stardust - I think a card holder can request their card issuer to follow a chargeback because the online merchant has taken an second payment on the same card, where the Card is Not Present (CNP) / card not present (CNP). Typically, card holder disputes involve product delivery failure or product/service dissatisfaction. The merchant should check customer details at the time of transaction to prevent fraud.

It may be covered in the T&C;s but that doesn't make it right. Most companies would try and resolve it before going down a chargeback route which would be costly for them.

Holiday insurance would cover if you were unable to travel due to illness, etc. And you would make a claim. You'd still need a confirmation from the travel company to say it was cancelled, to make a claim.

Glad to hear your wife is getting well again.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.