Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Mount olympus is lovely, its a trek up there but the views and scenery are stunning.

Polis & Latchi are quaint villages on the sea. Some lovely restaurants there. I am vegetarian but couldnt tell you which restaurants have used.

Akamas peninsular / Lara Bay but you need a 4 wheel drive to get there.

Kurion / curium. Amphitheatre on way to Limasol on coast road.

Just get in your car, drive & enjoy the island!
We stayed at Aphrodite Hills near Paphos in Augaust and had a car for the 2 weeks, we went all over the south of the island:-
Polis/Latchi - a lot more unspolit than paphos
Limmassol - Some interesting bits around the old port
Kourion - Spectacular Roman Amphitehatre
Nicosia - a bit of a drive, but dead easy on the motorway, absloutely fascinating, my favourite, be sure to take your passport to get through to the Turkish side.
Tavernas - Advimou on the beach, great value food, spectacular sunsets - Anarita and Kouklia both have good Tavernas.
Visit Aphrodites rock on the old coast road - great scenery.
Drive into the Troodos, lovely scenery and views ( not many petrol stations around - make sure you are topped up)

HTH

Ian
I am also looking for a few days to make the most of the 4x4 i have hired. My plan is to spend one day driving to Latchi/Polis through the Akamas.
Also i want to spend a day in the hills but haven't decided if thats going to be the Troodos Mountain range or Cedar Valley. Both look amazing and would love to see both but only have the one day. :(
Any advice on which to choose would be great!
Along the B6, the old Paphos - Limassol road:
Sanctuary of Aphrodite
Aphrodite's Rock
Pissouri village
Pissouri Bay
Avdimou Bay and the Kyrenia Restaurant
Sanctuary of Apollo
Kourion
Kourion Beach
Kolossi Castle
Lady's Mile Beach

The mountains:
Omodos (The Struggle Museum should humble all Brits! we're not always the good guys! It's in the church in the square.)
Troodos village
The golf balls (DON'T take the camera out of the car!)
Kakopetria & Galata
Pedhoulas
Kykkos Monastary
Moutoulas and the Marathasa Valley
(There are some lovely old churches back o' Troodos.)

North from Paphos:
Polis
Latchi
Baths of Aphrodite
Pomos
Kathikas

You don't NEED a 4X4 to do Lara Beach. I've been along to the Lara Restaurant in a normal saloon. There are always normal saloons in the Viklari car park. A 4X4 just means you can go further, faster.

Mark
Thanks guys,

Is there a road map of sorts this will help me to go in the right direction?

Lee
Here's the official maps from the Department of Lands and Surveys.

Paper copies available from the tourist office and by post from

Cyprus Tourist Office
17, Hanover Street
London W1S 1YP
Tel: 0207 569 8800
Fax: 0207 499 4935
e-mail: informationcto@btconnect.com

HTH, Marion
Junglist,the Cedar valley is amazing with spectacular views as you leave Paphos.We travelled to the Troodos via this route and came out near the large monastry.(Knossos?)The are many bends but it is fine in a 4x4.We got out half way along and my husband,who has no sense of smell,swore he could smell the cedar trees.Theres a lovely little village between Coral Bay and Paphos but off the coastal road that has an artists college which is very colourful .I cant remember the name but I think it begins with L. Maybe someone else has visited here and can give better directions.
Theres a lovely little village
Lania.

large monastry
Kykkou.

smell the cedar trees
You can smell pine all over the Troodos massif.

Mark
Ive just remember the name of the village is Lempa,between Paphos and Coral bay.
Thanks for the info jay trip. Do you know exactly which route you took and also how long did it take to get to the Troodos via Cedar Valley?
I have an todddler with me so dont want him to get bored with too much driving although i suspect we will be making many stops to admire the scenery.
We got a map with the hire car which was quite detailed and we took the road out of Coral bay towards Peyia and went towards a village beginning with O and the road started there.I think it took about an hour.I will look on google earth and see if I can give better directions.
Thanks Jay Trip.
I have worked out a route from the map but will ask locals if i need further help.
Hi we stayed in polis and regularly enjoyed eating in Archontiki restaurant (not sure how to spell it) we found out about it through the Polis website
Cat
regarding Mark's comments "You don't NEED a 4X4 to do Lara Beach. I've been along to the Lara Restaurant in a normal saloon. There are always normal saloons in the Viklari car park. A 4X4 just means you can go further, faster" I agree but please pay special attention to your rental insurance as some will not insure you to drive a saloon car on unmade roads on the island. Please check your small print as causing damage by "off roading" could be very expensive if something goes wrong!
A certain amount of care and common sense is required, obviously!
Dont hire a Daihatsu Terios if you are going to the Lara beach area and are going off road.I had to get out and walk as I felt so sick as the road was very bumpy!.The next time we hired a 4x4 we hired a Itzusu Trooper!
I did the Akamas drive in the Terios too. Yes it was very bumpy but didnt think it was too bad...my evidence = wife not getting sick (like she normally does on drives like that) and my 18mth old son sleeping throughout the journey.
It was such a beautiful day and the scenery was amazing.
Well recommended!
If you are hiring a 4X4, try Adonis Falls above Coral Bay - it is a natural double waterfall, only relatively small, but fairly cheap for a good 2-3 hours swimming!

PS You should get a decent map with your car hire!

Smiles
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.