Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
security guidelines are set by the DfT and they allow lighters , they should be carried on the person , even zippo lighters are allowed.
Some airlines might take a different view at what you can take on board , i think that Delta have an issue with lighters?
How's Manchester T1 security now - is it a smooth, fast and efficient process rather than the long, snake like, disney style queuing we had in October last year ?

Chris
TFS1,

It depends when you're transitting the airport. At this time of year, it's fine. In the height of the summer when schools are off, be prepared!

Darren
Thanks Darren. We are off this Tuesday and tend to stay in Spain during the summer holidays and let the family to come to see us!

Chris
Given my dislike of Spanish tins of tuna I thought I would take some good old UK tinned 'no-drain' stuff in my hand luggage. Given the airports catch all of 'and anything else we dont like' and depending if the security person got out of the wrong side of bed would I have a problem taking it through ?

Chris
I don't know, but smiling to myself. We do the opposite and bring Spanish tuna home with us.
TFS1,

You should be ok but you'd be better taking it in checked-in luggage or if you're hand luggage only, doing without for a week!

Darren
Hi TFS, you really should have no problem as its not a liquid, cream, gel or paste, your bag could be checked as they would want to see what the metal container had , but as long as you have not made a total error of judgement and not purchased dolphin friendly no one should really have the hump :) :cry
I'm a bit fussy about my tuna too!!!
andy66,

I elected to place the tins of 'no drain' tuna in our hold case and relegated to my hand luggage - one of the bags of Shreddies, 2 containers of white sauce granuals, together with 2 packs of Cathedral cheese, a lemon from one of our tress in Spain and 2 apples from Sainburys !

Better safe than sorry ! we are here for 5 weeks so needed to be sure we have some tuna we can eat rather than the local stuff that looks like cat food (IMHO)

ps the journey through T1 security was fast and no queues.

Chris
We always take cheese and cereals, they cost a fair bit over there , you can get 400g of cath city for £1.99 , and I love a chunk with large helping of Rioja , enjoy your 5 weeks!!!!
Thanks andy. Past couple of nights have been a little cool but the sun is now shining. We have been busy so far but a day around (and in) the pool tomorrow.

Regarding Cathedral cheese. On one ocassion going through security at East Midlands Airport I had to open my hand luggage after it went through the security scanner.

The lady security offfice looking at the items pointed to my 2 packs of Cathedral Cheddar and said sternly that she would have to 'confiscate them'. My face dropped and I said why? - with a smile on her face she said 'because its my favourite !!' Of course she was joking and off we went - with our cheese.

Regards Chris
Does anyone know what room numbers face airside from the Radisson Blu? I meant to take a note or remember from last time I was there but :que
Edit - found it. If anybody wants to know, even room numbers face the airport.
Just back and had great trouble finding 'Shuttle Park' bus stop at MCR T3 this evening. We went from T2 back in Feb and eventually found out tonight that they have changed the name of this carpark to Jet Parks Plus in the meantime.

When we did get on the bus I asked the driver what the 'plus' was for as the other parks are just named 1,2 and 3. he told me because this one is fully tarmaced !

Chris
Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner (N787BX) with the callsign BOE787 arrived in Manchester Airport at 2225 this evening for the first time as part of Boeings Dreamliner world tour. It had flown from Heathrow where it'll be returning on Wednesday. It's here to showcase the aircraft and allow staff at Thomson Airways, airport handing agents and the airport to have a look and preparing themselves for when it enters service with Thomson Airways in January 2013. The first schedule airline to operate it in to Manchester should be Qatar (MAN-DOH-MAN) commencing sometime in September 2012. For those who want to take a look at her, she'll be operating a demonstration flight departing at 11am, returning 1.05pm.

Darren
Hi
Hope this the right place to ask this - although its quite a silly question. I have posted in travelling with kids - apologies for duplication but i suspect different airport security depts may have different practices.
When passing through security with young children do they have to walk through alone?
Its a couple of years since I flew. Will be travelling from MCR T1 next month
I assume my 4 yr old will be expected to walk through the metal detector alone, but she may balk at the body scanner!
What about the 18mnth old - who I hope will be in her buggy but will most likely want to be walking and is liable to run off - can she go through in the buggy? be carried, or be allowed to run through?

thnx
zebedee,

Yes, they'll have to walk through alone. The best way is to have dad or yourself walk through, let the little ones come through to meet you then dad or yourself afterwards. As long as you empty your pockets and don't have any metals on you, it's unlikely you'll bleep or end up in a body scanner. You'll be ok carrying the 18 month old or walking through, but the buggy will have to go through the x-ray machine.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.