Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
They must have really changed it. When the new T1 security area opened (which meant the groundside shopping, foodcourt and indoor access to T3 closed) boarding passes were checked electronically, most were supposed to go through railway station style gates by either sticking those with magnetic strips on the back into the slot or waving printed barcodes over a scanner. The queue at the far right was intended for disabled who couldn't manage it. But this being Britain there were three immediate problems. First there was always someone who wasn't bright enough to do that, then there were those who don't do self-service (usually shocked to see most other people were not wearing a jacket and tie to fly to foreign parts). So they'd go to the staffed gate. That would start a queue and obviously once we have a queue loads of other people join it rather than ask what it was for. The actual security check was no trouble at all. I haven't used it for a couple of years, my flights have been T3 or Liverpool but that whole rebuild can't be more than 5 years old.
I have to agree with Chris- we flew out of terminal 1 on Monday afternoon. Check in was really quick (ground floor jet2), only a few people there, but when we got upstairs to the security area we were faced with a half hour wait to get through. Many people getting quite anxious as it got close to their departure time. Lots of calls for people to make themselves known as their flight was boarding.
You snaked your way along about 8 lanes, thought you were nearly there- only to discover you went into another area with even more snakes! At the end of that was a corridor with an extremely long snake! Less than half of the security stations were open, so they obviously need more staff.
Arriving back at terminal 1 today the queue at immigration was quite long but moved quickly.
Must say, apart from that, the flight with jet2 was very pleasant- comfortable, friendly, efficient service and very prompt.
kate
hi everyone, i wondered if i may ask if anoyne has any experience of the recently opened 'V' lounge at manchester, i would like to know if all virgin holidays customers are entitled to use it, or if it is purely for those travelling on VS operated flights only, we are planning to book a virgin holiday for 2012 flying with qatar, would we be able to make use of the lounge, even for a further charge? any help is greatly appreciated.

:cheers
We recently used the Escape Lounge at T2. We also used it from around 6am. There was available individual boxes of cereal, hot toast with butter and jam/honey, there was also a poster advertising hot porridge although I didn't see anyone get any. Plenty of biscuits, flaphacks, muffins, cheese and crackers, peanuts, fruits etc. Help yourself tea and coffee (all kinds) orange and other breakfast juices. And of course all manner of spirits, bottled beers and cans of coke, lemonade etc.
There were plenty of newspapers/magazines and one half of the lounge has a TV. It was about half full when we used it. Thought it was worth every penny. HTH

Thanks denny,

We may just give it a try.

All the best
gc
I also used the Escape lounge in T2 on sept 17th, didn't see a notice about porridge but I did have a couple of boxes of cereal, by the time I had read the paper my flight was boarding :)
Well worth the relaxed area.
Are you able to buy cigarettes and alcohol from Manchester airport when flying out to Cyprus? I know we couldn't when we flew out to Spain.
Thanks for any replies.
Caroline
Cyprus is EU so where shops have no system to seperate tax free/tax paid customers the answer should be no. If you are going to northern Cyprus via Turkey you might be able to.
Anyone know why Monarch have gone to Terminal 2 at Manchester?
Hi all
I know this is early we always but am flying from manchester with monarch next year, we used the skyline bus service get to airport and want to do the same this time, my question is monarch is now at t2 as I cant walk very far how do I get from bus station to t2 without having to walk which would take forever :rofl

thanks theresa
the amount of actual walking isn't much different but the moving walkway on the bridge is a bit longer - I assume that's how you get to T1 in the past. It will take a little longer but that will be mostly standing. Just go in the opposite direction to T1 when you get out of the lift at the transport interchange. The terminal itself is easier to get into without the delay for the lift down from the bridge that you get at T1. Overall there probably won't be any noticable difference in the time as long as you go the right way to start with.

It's T3 you need to avoid!!
Hi I'm flying from Manchester on 27/12/11 with Thomson from T2, the flight is at about 10.30am I'm going to get to the airport early as I like to have a nosey at all the other planes that will be there.

Does anyone know if the Emerates A380 will be at terminal 2 that day and if so what time and which gate/stand?

cheers
james 84,

Flight EK017/8, the Emirates A380 service from/to Dubia doesn't arrive until 1145, and departs again at 1330. It uses Gate 12 at Terminal 1. Unless your flight is delayed by 1.5 hours or so, you'll not see it I'm afraid. A few photos of her; Emirates Airbus A380-800 at MAN.

Darren
It is probrably been asked before but how do you get from Terminal 3 arrivals to the train station?
Helellama,

There's only one way and that's on foot. It's signposted from arrivals. Expect it to take you a good 10 minutes.

Darren
thanks.
not in a hurry for a train and only got handluggage luckily.
Darren's answer was the summary, the full answer is it's a bit of a nightmare....

you come out of the front doors of T3 and follow the footpath left, past the bus stop where the free shuttle use to call until they scrapped it. The path then goes through an office building and into what looks like a very big bus shelter until you reach a dingy side door to T1. You go in there and arrive in a foyer area near the staff shop, there are lifts opposite that and they are s-l-o-w. The sign will say which level for the station, the numbers don't seem to match the number of floors the lift calls at. That will drop you in a similar foyer a few levels up and then it's a few minutes walk on the enclosed bridge (has a moving walkway).

Anyone needing the bus station, it's the same route and then look beyond the huge empty space beyond the railway ticket office.
Hi

I have just looked at the security info on Manchester Airport website and it says that it is an offence to take any kind of lighter into the aircraft cabin. I thought that we could take one lighter per person (as we did from Birmingham last year - just had to put it in the clear bag then take it out once through security)

Could someone please clarify? Seems a bit obscure to have a smoking area airside if you can't light up! (or maybe that's the general idea) LOL

Thanks very much

Sal
x
sal1136,

There have been no changes to the security restrictions with regards to cigarette lighters that i'm aware of. You're still permitted to take one per person as long as it's in the clear plastic bag for scrutiny at security. A full listing of hand baggage regulations and prohibited / restricted items is on Direct.gov's website. Unless this is Manchester specific, they were being let through the last time I went through MAN.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.