Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Howardb
there isn`t a kettle or cups in the room so do take them,there isn`t a hairdryer either,you can email the hotel with room request and they usually get back to you quite promptly,last year the annex rooms hadn`t been updated,we were in the block overlooking the pool which had updated rooms but in saying that we have requested an annex room this year i prefer that part of the hotel and the smaller pool.It is a lovely hotel.have a fantastic time
Deb
Most questions have already been answered but further enlightenment...
The far end of the annexe is about 400m to reception. There are three floors to the building. We requested and received a top floor far end room. It's very quiet then, even when the night market is on the doors are pretty soundproof.If you have walking issues then they are to avoided and a request for a room nearer to reception would be beneficial. There are some right next to the bar and personally I would avoid them, just in case !
All rooms have a fan and A/C.
Safe's are available in reception but they are charged for I believe. We on the other hand have no issues and confidently left some very expensive camera gear and other valuables in our room. The room staff are great, in fact they all are.
Try dining in the hotel, we did this year for the first time and it is very good, especially the BBQ.
Don't change money in the hotel, there is a money exchange 50 yards to the right as you leave the hotel and you should get approximately 5% more for your £'s. He also has STD phones plus a good selection of books. Lovely guy, he even sang "Happy Birthday " in Hindi to my sisters answer machine !!! Send him my regards !!
The hotel provides a bus to Baga on the hour 9-6 and if you ask they will drop you anywhere on route.
Lots of eating places close by, walkable but take a torch to make sure you are seen at night.
If you turn right along the tarmac path opposite "Nicks Place", then left at the other end, it is a short cut to Arpora village, takes 10 minutes from the MD and avoids walking on the busier "main road".
The hotel is IMO, superb value. It's unpretentious, very comfortable, beautifully maintained and seems to attract my kind of people as we found loads of like minded folk to talk to around the pool.
If you like fishing you will be in heaven, but take your own rod as they don't hire them out ( Missing a trick there) Some massive fish in the lakes and feeding them is very theraputic too !
Can't think of anything else but ask and you are sure to be answered by someone if you have further queries.
Rest assured you have made a good choice of hotel !!!
Enjoy, I'm feeling envious already and I have only been back 5 days. Not half feeling the cold !!!
cheers
Dave
Hi Deb's & Dave, thank you for answering my Q's with so much detail. I had read loads of reviews but these were the nagging issues.

Looking forward to going, can't wait but not long now (28th Dec), I don't fish but love to stroll around lakes, I am especially looking forward to seeing a Kingfisher (touch wood), as well as drinking plenty lol.

Howard
I am especially looking forward to seeing a Kingfisher (touch wood), as well as drinking plenty lol.

If you don't find yourself within feet of both the bottle and feathered ones at some stage of your holiday I will be amazed !!!

Enjoy !

PS.the room fridges are stocked up everyday and are very well priced. however, 20% tax is also added to the cost of a beer but it's still cheap at approximately R78 per 660ml bottle of Kingfisher. There is an off licence across the road next to Mojo's. Blue Ribbon gin is R140 per bottle ( !!!!!!!!!), tonic R30.
Thanks that's great info. The kettle+cups are now in the case along with the Yorkshire tea lol.

My plan is to email Edwin the manager and ask for a top floor room in the annex with a lakeside view and double bed. I travel on the 28th when do you guys think is the best time to email a couple of days before or sooner?
I e-mailed him about a month before we went he responded that he would try. I then sent a reminder e-mail about a week before we went and he still didn't say that we would get one of the rooms we wanted but we did.

I think anytime now would be a good time.
I don't know wether you can request it or not, but when we stayed we had a lakeside room on the top floor with a wonderful view...... of a palm tree right outside the balcony, couldn't see a thing around it!
You can hire a hairdryer from reception and it costs about 50 or 60 rupees per day.
A word of warning about the exchange shop to the right of the hotel .... DONT use their phone to call home. I did on one of our very first visits to Goa and it was a total rip off, think he charged me about £7 or £8 for the call :que
You will love the MD, IMO its the best hotel in North Goa :D
Gemma, things must have changed since you tried phoning home. I was on for a few minutes and it never cost me more than a £1 !
As with most things it pays to ask first, he will tell you how much it costs per minute ( I think it was R15) and you just have to keep an eye on the meter which tells you how long you have been talking. As I was phoning from India, even my Mother kept conversation to the point, normally she can't half rabbit !!!
Dave there was no meter when we used his phone :que I had used many other pay phones in Goa, at the beach and in the street, all of which cost a few rupees but not in this little shop close to the MD. Also his exchange rate is higher than the hotel (as most hotels rates are low) but he is not as good as the shops in Baga or in Calangute.
Personally I havent used this little shop in years, we are all different and this is my opinion ONLY ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.