Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi and welcome to Ht, Marmaris is not all that good for Ai, If I was you I would look through all the hotel reports from other HT members which is below.
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/turkey/
i agree with rob ive stayed in a few all inclusives in marmaris including the 5* marmaris palace and they have all been fairly bad mainly with the quality and selection of food, so have a good read up on all these hotel reviews
I think if you want a good A/I you have to pay and look at other resorts in turkey. Olu deniz, side, lara beach, belek, gumbet.

If you pay a few hundred each you will get what a few hundred buys, not a lot. £393 with thomas cook, sun city olu deniz or check teletext page 276 thomsons page and they might have something at a cheap price named accommodation.

A lot of the A/I on teletex might say 4* A/I or 5* A/I but they won't be much better than a 2* and the food will be awful.

Read the reveiws on here and trip adviser butfore you book anything and regret once you arrive.
Japtrip went to one that was between Marmaris and Ichmeler, that had great food and was new, but I cant remember it's name and she got a bargain :tup perhaps she will be about later and will post it.

Edit: Might have been called Club Turban ? I made a note of it somewhere thinking I might want to go to it one day lol.
This is the hotel doepsmc

The Parkim Ayaz hotel

And a few on here rate the green nature resort in marmaris. Thomson were doing some good deals on it recently
When people say the food is bad at many Marmaris AI....are we talking REALLY bad or just basic food, with limited choice? We're not beer guzzling, Burger King eating brits on holiday by any means but we generally just eat at the typical cafe/Bistos in Marmaris each night, when we go SC, with maybe a night at Natalies & the last night at one of the Harbour restaurants.

Are people suggesting that the standard of AI in Marmaris generally doesn't even match up to the Cafe/Bistro standard out there?
  • Edited by SBM1970 2009-06-09 13:03:16
i think the simple answer to this is yes, the food in most bistros, bars in marmaris is generally of a good quality, decent portions and reasonably priced. The drinks in the cheaper AI also tend to be the cheapest brands.

i think if you spend all year saving for your holiday you want to get the best possible experience from your holiday and decent food is all part of that experience

You should be able to get a decent self catering place and if you eat sensibly and dont go completeley OTT with the drink the prices should be much the same as AI

Stewart
Hi SBM1970, we always said we would never go AI in Turkey as eating out and meeting new friends was a great part of the holiday. We got a fantastic deal at a cheap AI a few years ago and decided to give it a try, if we didn't enjoy the food it would'nt matter as we had payed so little anyway. We found the food delicious and having been invited to Turkish friends homes we found that the food was more "home cooking" than restaurant fare. This was also confirmed by the manager who said that they try to give a more typical meal than you would in the tourist restaurants.

We have tried local Turkish restaurants like Sofra after being taken there by a Turkish friend and find the food there exactly the same as our hotel. A lot of the british people used to complain about it but usually about the fact that there were no chips or burgers or Chicken nuggets for the kids, certainly not what I want out of a holiday abroad but each to their own I suppose. Two years ago we took my son, daughter in law and grandaughter who was seven. The girls are both a bit picky with their food but they thought the food in the hotel was fantastic and always went back for more.

I was never one for eating salads at home but over the years I have tried just about everything on the cold bar and most of it has been a real eye opener for me. Stuffed peppers, stuffed vine leaves, aubergine (which I didn't like before) and many more typical Turkish things that I might never have had the opportunity to try.

As I have said it isn't for everyone but it is perfect for both my wife and myself. We still eat out quite often but if we can't make it (disability's) we just stay in the hotel. We have stayed there eight times now and will be back in August for 28 nights so we obviously like it lol. Last year there were quite a few complaining about the food, when they heard we had been there before one lady was quite nasty saying we must be easily pleased and not be used to good food :really Her favourite meal in the hotel while she was there was a one we missed, burgers and Chicken nuggets which they do once every week, it said it all really. Her friend said that she had not tried any of the Turkish meals as they all looked disgusting :( How disgusting can a stew look :rofl She didn't even try any of the soups, they have three different soups every day and we have tried every one. The best soup I have ever had in my life was in their restaurant. They always have a good few different deserts too from the cold rice pudding (Sutlac) to Turkish cakes and things that are far too sweet for me to a small amount of fresh fruit such as apples, Plums or watermelon :tongue

I can't speak for any other hotels but we are quite happy with ours, it is pretty much the same in a lot of the tourist restaurants where some people will only have an English type meal, we will try absolutely anything. My wife can not have anything spicy due to major surgery she had a few years ago but apart from that the sky's the limit lol. We often laugh about some of the things we would never eat at home before we first went to Turkey but in one of the restaurants we use regularly I just ask the boss for something Turkish and he just surprises me. I know I am lucky to be able to do that but I also know from watching, that some people will not try anything as it is horrible even before they try.

One thing I will say though, I would not say anything if someone said it is a limited choice in the hotel. Although there is usually two hot choices and a great salad bar, if you are used to a big AI it will seem a relatively small choice. As SWMBO always says, no matter what is on the menu she would never starve as there is always something else for her if the main choice is spicy.

Just my humble opinion and I know it won't be for everyone but I am quite happy to continue to go there.

Jim.
The Green Nature and the Gran Pasa in Marmaris are fantastic hotels both are All inc the Green Nature is Ultra A/i :rofl
robtelford - if you want to choose the best out of your list of hotels, I suggest you look on Trip Advisor, where they list the hotels in Marmaris in order of people's preference and see which on your list comes highest on the TA list. Then read all the reviews on there and on this website to see what people are saying. See what their complaints are and decide how much that particular problem would matter to you.

willwetegg - can you tell us the name of your AI hotel?
Hi mehmeh1, it is the Serin hotel.

Jim.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.