Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
scooby

Firstly I am biased towards Marmaris and we are heading back there in October too after having another great summer holiday there two weeks ago. It can be a lively place but equally it has some fantastic quiet and intimate places. We are fortunate in that we usually head back to our apartments after our meal as there is good entertainment on there. We don't really go in for the 'dancing on the bar routines' like we used to when the kids were younger. Your correct in what you say in that it is a good base to visit places like Icmeler, Turunc and many more. We went last October too and had a lovely relaxing time. I must have walked the length and breadth of the resort as the temp was only around 26-27o and not like in the hight of summer. Bottom line, if you get a good deal why not give it a try and go with an open mind.

Wilson ;)
Personally I would recommend the Armutalan area of Marmaris. We stayed at Club Anastasia and enjoyed going out in that area for a meal or a drink.

I couldn't have hacked 2 weeks down at the "front" where the music from all the bars and hotels were battling it out to see who could be the loudest. It was horrendous! I couldn't wait to get away from there.

We also found the restaurants in Armutalan to be slightly cheaper too.

luci :wave
I have been to Turkey many times in October and have only experienced rain once,that was 2 years ago in Icmeler when there was amazing thunder and lightening.It only lasted one evening.Its a lovely time to visit Turkey,lots of sales :rofl
Goldtrail is what I would be more wary of as they change flights and hotels at short notice and unless you are prepared for this it may end up a nightmare!There are usually good offers for October with the main tour companies as long as it isnt during the school holidays.
I am hoping for a deal myself for October.
Thanks for the helpful replies.

We are fairly easy going and whilst we're not in to 'thump thump' night clubs we aren't adverse to a few bevvies and a bit of live music entertainment or karaoke bar ( I've been known to get up and murder a few soul classics myself after the odd efes or two :rofl )

We're certainly tempted and as Wilson says if we get a really cheap deal it's probably worth giving it a go and going with an open mind.

We are a bit wary of Goldtrail although in fairness have to say although we have only booked with them once (to Calis), everything was fine and we had no complaints at all.
We're doing Goldtrail in September so will let you know what they're like.

gb
We are going with goldtrail to Marmaris in October also.
First time to marmaris and first time with goldtrail.
We also think that Marmaris might be a bit in your face, but £200 each for 1 wk b+b its got to be worth the visit.

While Iam here has anyone got info on Senfoni ( now called the Bilici) I heard It has changed owners this year :think

Cheers :cheers
I have only visited Marmaris once and I really didn't like it, it is very big and busy. I like Bitez, Turunc, Calis etc and Marmaris is the complete opposite, very lively, loads of bars, reminded me a bit of blackpool kind of place. Lots of people do like it there but I wouldn't choose to stay there
Marmaris like most places is what you make of it. It has a superb harbour,nice beaches and an indoor market,but compared to the places you have mentioned you could well find the place a wee bit over powering at times because its mostly geared up for the Brits and all that entails both good and bad. As for Goldtrial,we booked with them in June and although we stayed in nearby Icmeler I thought the Hotel,the 3 hour transfer and the flights both of which were on time were well worth the price.

Enjoy.
i think you would be ok as long as you choose a hotel thats a bit further out, ive been to turunc, bitez, olu and the fab akyaka and i do also like icmeler and marmaris, but i only like marmaris either out of season or the marina end of marmaris, i hate the long strip of bars, restuarants ,shops etc, but you could easily avoid that side of marmaris if you got a hotel in the right location, just have a good read up on the hotels and the location first. the marina and old town of marmaris is lovely with great views across the harbour
hi

my hubby and i go to marmaris every october, for our wedding anniversary treat, (38yrs this year), we love the place. marmaris can be whatever you want it to be, the lively club scene, or the more family orientated resort, we like to stay in the quieter area,s, the amatulan area is great, much quieter than the beach front hotels, yet with plenty of atmosphere, and good restaurants and bars and very friendly people.
the boat trips are a must, we usually go on one at least twice in the week.
make the most of a bargain, i,m sure you will not be disappointed.

regards
marnie x
I'm always surprised when I read people claiming that Marmaris is a bit in your face, or too lively. It's a sizeable resort & isn't difficult to bypass the 'Bar Street & Nightclub' parts of it, if that's not your thing. Maybe 10 years ago it was pot luck, but these days with websites like this, you can definately do your homework in advance & find the places that will suit you.

We have three children under 12 (so are definately not the 18-30/glo-stick type :lol: ) & are flying out on Wednesday, for our third holiday in Marmaris. We've always found it a very family friendly, laid back place, where the restaurant owners/manager have time to come over for a chat during your meal.
Hi Scoobyclaret

I agree with most of the other posters on here - Marmaris is a large sprawling resort and you can make of it exactly what you want. I have been going there for the last 8 years and it is a great base for getting around. I would also recommend staying in the Armutalan area as there are plenty of bars and restaurants and nice hotels/apartments without the "in your face" element (although October will be a lot quieter anyway). There are plenty of hidden gems in and around Marmaris if you are prepared to overlook the fact that it is now very geared towards the British tourist and there is plenty to do and see.

Kitti
I have been going to marmaris every october for the last 3 years, we (me and my 3 kids) love the place, not sure if i could handle it during the busier months... but during october its everything we want!
hi..
I really enjoyed marmaris.
I didnt find it in your face at all.
If you dont like it there, there are always the day trips, just do lots of them!
Though i do think you should try it.
Its beautiful there.
Appreciate the replies :tup -

Marmaris certainly does seem to split opinions more than most Turkish resorts.

Some very interesting and constructive comments which lead me to think the answer to my original question is Yes, we should reconsider!

One thing I had forgotten about though was the transfer time-probably around 2-3 hours by shared coach. It's not so bad if you're going for 2 weeks but it does make it a long journey for a week on top of the 4+ hours flight and the 2-3 hours at airports.

Having said that, we'll see what offers come up over the next few weeks and if we can get a ridiculously cheap bargain I think we will seriously consider Marmaris.

Thanks again everyone who commented for your input :sun2
Would not ever consider going to Marmaris again...

Over 10 years since we were there, it was "Big" "Brash" and like "Blackpool" then... so goodness knows what it is like now!!!

Nothing wrong with Blackpool had many a happy day out there, but not somewhere I would go for my jollies.

Is'nt it a good job we all have differant tastes? one mans meat another mans poison.
Hi, sorry to all Marmaris lovers, but I have to agree with the last post. Only been to Turkey twice, first time was to Hisaronu/Olu Deniz which I loved and visited lots of places in the area, I then 'thought' I had fallen in love with Turkey. Went to Marmaris a couple of years later and oh my...what a contrast! I'm sorry, but although I had an ok holiday there it is a place I would never return to, in fact I think it put me off going to Turkey ever again. I'm talking around 13 years ago but I found the place too big, not particularly clean, just nothing like what I had experienced in Hisaronu. I know a holiday is what you make it, I just think there's nicer places you could go, especially if you are used to the quieter resorts in Turkey. As others have said we all have different likes and dislikes, so I guess Marmaris is one of those places you either love or hate.
Please don't let Marmaris put you off visiting Turkey again, there are so many places that are so much nicer. I love Turkey but I would never choose to go to Marmaris.
I've been to turkey 9 times, always marmaris. it's so large you don't have to go to the noisy bars on the beachfront or bar street. You can go and have a quiet holiday and have a drink and a meal in small backstreet bars and the nightlife is there if you want it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.