Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Mercury Direct do alot of holidays to Malta, I cant comment on how good they are as I have never used them
I always used to book my parents with sunshine.co.uk and found putting the package together myself worked out at a good price. Even after adding a transfer for them by private taxi.

Recently, I've booked them with Mercury - but what about Chevron holidays? Their offers at the moment only go up to April 2014.

We've generally found Air Malta are cheaper than booking using Thomson flights. EasyJet are a little cheaper but they are very early departures from Manchester and my parents have to travel from Cleveleys and don't want to be getting up at 3am for a flight - then not being able to access their room until 2pm.

A week AI with sunshine at the Suncrest for 3 adults on 6 May 2014 is coming out at £921.00
cyprus100 wrote:
I always used to book my parents with sunshine.co.uk and found putting the package together myself worked out at a good price. Even after adding a transfer for them by private taxi.

Recently, I've booked them with Mercury - but what about Chevron holidays? Their offers at the moment only go up to April 2014.

We've generally found Air Malta are cheaper than booking using Thomson flights. EasyJet are a little cheaper but they are very early departures from Manchester and my parents have to travel from Cleveleys and don't want to be getting up at 3am for a flight - then not being able to access their room until 2pm.

A week AI with sunshine at the Suncrest for 3 adults on 6 May 2014 is coming out at £921.00

Thanks. We have used sunshine for Egypt in the past, and found them really good. We would have no hesitation using them again!
That's a great price for May. We are looking to go over the half term though, so i would imagine prices will be higher.I'll go a take a look now.
Do you know how far in advance Air Malta release their flights and if it's best to book earlier rather than later? we've flown with them before, and found them much nicer than Easy Jet, but we will use whatever is the best at the time and most cost effective.
I know you can from from Bristol with them which is our nearest airport.
Will have a look at both Olympic and Chevron. :)
Have you been to Malta in May? Can we expect hottish weather, or will it still be a bit hit and miss?
Thanks for your helpful post.
Hi

Both Thomson & Thomas Cook do package holidays to Malta from Bristol so that might work out cheapest? also look both of them for flight only and check their prices, also check companies such as Sunshine and Lowcost for hotel prices.

May is a lovely time not overly hot such as you would get in July / August which can be a bit unbearable and restrictive, in May you are usually looking at mid to high 20's.

I don't know if Ryanair fly localy however to get the best flight prices you need to book with the lowcost airlines as soon as they release their flights, if not alread subscribed it is worth being added to the mailing list for flight releases.
We went in May last year and had lovely weather, nor was it overly busy. Good luck with your search suncatcher :tup
suncatcher wrote:

Do you know how far in advance Air Malta release their flights and if it's best to book earlier rather than later? we've flown with them before, and found them much nicer than Easy Jet, but we will use whatever is the best at the time and most cost effective.
I know you can from from Bristol with them which is our nearest airport.
Will have a look at both Olympic and Chevron. :)
Have you been to Malta in May? Can we expect hottish weather, or will it still be a bit hit and miss?
Thanks for your helpful post.

Usually, flights are released (for scheduled airlines) 350 days in advance, which means you can only book a return flight if the return leg/date of your flight home is no more than 350 days in the future. Whereas with package holidays they do tend to book a bit further ahead. It's probably an idea to look at current prices for this half term holiday to get an idea of how much costs increase over that period....

I've been to Malta only once in the summer and that was for 2 nights in early June when I was on a hotel inspection visit whilst working at First Choice Holidays. It was warm but I found the wind was still a bit cool (I was in St Paul's Bay at the Park Plaza - never again!) We've pretty much spent the last 5 or 6 years visiting in February to go and meet up with my parents during their month long stay in Qawra at the Soreda Hotel and at the Club Salina Wharf.
This is our second year to Gozo SC and I've booked DIY both times ... flights with EJ and direct booking with hotel. The EJ flights were actually much kinder than Air Malta and Ryanair on the return leg. They both flew back too early for us when we had to allow for the ferry crossing etc. We are going beginning July and there are only a couple of package people that do the hotel we want in gozo , both of whom were a lot more expensive. As always the key to it is getting those flights booked early. I wasnt as quick off the mark this year but I know you always are. :D
Thank you everyone. Taking everything on board, i think i am going to go down the DIY route. The cheapest package i could find is with Thomas cook from Cardiff at just inder £1700'. It's not the hotel we were after either, but actually the one next door. I'm sure i could do it cheaper with easyjet flights, and booking the hotel seperetely, eithet direct or with a bed booker.

As far as flights go, we could do easyjet from gatwick, ryanair from bristol, and air malta from bristol. When should flights be released for may from easyjet, or is it anyone's guess again this year. :think I'm thinking anytime from end of july? Anyone care to hazard a guess :)

Lyn i have become adept at getting flights booked ASAP now , and am hovering over the computer on the day of release in anticipation :rofl i have missed out a couple of times on the holidays we wanted because of not realising, or leaving it too late to get half decent fight prices.
Hope you have a great time in july. We have to get to Gozo on our next visit.

Kiltman thanks, May sounds like a lovely tome to go. I like warm, even hottish, but i'm not great in scorching heat!
Glynis HT Admin wrote:
We went in May last year and had lovely weather, nor was it overly busy. Good luck with your search suncatcher :tup

Thanks. Plan is to get flights booked first, and take it from there :cheers
shrimper wrote:
Mercury Direct do alot of holidays to Malta, I cant comment on how good they are as I have never used them

Thanks. i've taken a look.
Did you look at http://www.maltadirect.com/

Have you tried looking at a dynamic package from a tour operator such as http://www.co-operativetravel.co.uk/ or contacting an independent travel agent directly and asking them to price one? Might be worth a go!
Just back, we booked Ryanair flights and the Preluna Hotel in Sliema direct with the hotel. We saved about £300 compared to Mercury for the same flights and same hotel.
Sounds a good deal, I will have alook for myself, always said we would go back
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.